The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help With Feed Back Problem
Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 10:40 am    

Hello I play a dobro that is micked I play pluged direct to amp . sometimes I get feedback sometimes I cant turn amp very loud with out feed back. what can I get-use to help stop this that dosent cost a lot of money. I was thinking maybe a boss feed back pedal. I want to play direct from mic to amp not having to go through the effects or fx part of amp what do you suggest thanks

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 11:21 am    

What are you plugged into? If it's a normal guitar amp you're fighting a losing cause unless you invest in a good preamp like a Baggs Venue or Fishman Aura (either one runs around $300 - cheap preamps are as bad as running into the amp - I've tried most) - and even then a guitar amp has very poor frequency response for Dobro, with a focus on feedback - heavy frequencies.

A feedback pedal will *maybe* solve the feedback problem but further strangle your tone.

I've played through a specifically-voiced tube amp using a Venue and it was "OK" - but the best methods are either a good acoustic amplifier or run direct using one of the aforementioned preamps.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 11:37 am     feed back

Jim I am playing through a fishman loud box ascoustic amp what do I need to do

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 11:50 am    

A anti feedback pedal may help you some but there may not be feasible solution if you insist on micing the dobro.

That's just the way it is I'm afraid.

h

-edit- Some Loudbox models ("Artist") have some anti-feedback capabilities.

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 12:17 pm    

Will - first (I should have asked) - what kind of mic, and is this with a full electric band?

In electric band situations I've used an SM57, but had to go direct with a preamp or use both the preamp and an acoustic amp to "massage" the sound and avoid feedback - but it works better outside than inside, especially in large halls, places with hard/parallel walls, and/or high ceilings.

A much better solution is an internal pickup - a *good* one. I installed a Shertler Basik (that's how it's spelled) and the sound is natural, very adjustable and there's virtually no feedback though an acoustic amp over direct with a preamp.

That's what I recommend - mics can be tough as your settings will change dramatically every place you play - and even then some situations just don't make a mic practical.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 6:52 pm    

Hey Jim - I've wondered the same thing. Where did you stick the Schertler Basik? On the cone?

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:50 am    

As I recall, the Basik is designed to mount on the spider.

h

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 6:25 am     Re: Need Help With Feed Back Problem

Will Brown wrote:
Hello I play a dobro that is micked I play pluged direct to amp . sometimes I get feedback sometimes I cant turn amp very loud with out feed back. what can I get-use to help stop this that dosent cost a lot of money. I was thinking maybe a boss feed back pedal. I want to play direct from mic to amp not having to go through the effects or fx part of amp what do you suggest thanks

I use a pickup now, but before I had it, I would mic the dobro, put a 1/4" converter on the end of the mic cable and plug it into a LRBaggs ParaAcoustic DI, which has a decent eq section, including a sweepable mid and notch filter, and run the output into my amp. I was usually able to pull out problem frequencies with that setup, but as mentioned, a pickup/preamp system is a better route to go.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 7:59 am    

You may want to try a good graphic equalizer. If your feed back is low frequency rumble,kill the the very low end, roughly 150 hz and below. If it is high end squeal start cutting above 6khz. If that doesn't work you start cutiing other ranges until you find the problem freq. While not an ideal solution, because your tone will be altered somewhat, I have found this to be a successful method.

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 1:09 pm     feedback

As long as you are running straight into the amp, a simple method you may try is blocking the screen holes on the top, (much like an acoustic guitar player utilizes a sound hole cover to reduce feed back).

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 5:05 pm    

Thanks, Howard. I've got some piezo around - maybe I'll give that a try.