The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112's pot cleaning
Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 10:44 am    

Greetings from the swamplands of Louisiana. I have my 2 112's that are starting to get scratchy pots. Has anyone cleaned these before and if so, what procedure and product did you use to clean said pots?
Thanks
Dale

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 11:18 am    

You will have to remove the chassis.
Deoxit "fader lube" will work (one application that it states it is to be used for). I've fixed "dirty" pots with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/caig-deoxit-faderlube-lubricant-5-oz.?rNtt=de oxit&index=2

If you have a Guitar Center close by, they should stock it.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 1:11 pm     Peavey Funk Out

Same thing as Camolin DeOxit R5 and is what our factory technicians use for repairs. You can purchase this from your local authorized Peavey dealer.

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 1:34 pm     Re: Peavey Funk Out

Mike Brown wrote:
Same thing as Camolin DeOxit R5 and is what our factory technicians use for repairs. You can purchase this from your local authorized Peavey dealer.

I have a dealer here but I doubt he has anything. May have to order online.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 7:18 pm    

I use Peavey Funk Out, but I'd bet any good quality electrical cleaner would do the job. Pull the chassis out to reveal the pots and spray the stuff into the little hole at the base of the pot. Works great.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 8:10 am    

Herb, I'd bet you know this already, but, for the sake of the less knowledgeable brethren, the cleaner must have a lubricant in it also. There are "cleaner only" sprays and they will leave absolutely no residue....so the parts will grind against each other and eventually destroy each other.

But like I said, you probably knew that.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 9:29 am    

No, Mike, I did not know that, but thanks for the head's up. Knowledge is power. Idea

I use Funk Out on Mike Brown's recommendation, but he said there's other stuff on the market that are similar and with different brand names.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 6:15 pm    

Opinions on CRC electronics parts cleaner from auto parts stores? It comes in larger cans than some of the other stuff, so if it is not harmful, it would be more cost effiecient. I use it on trailer light connectors, but am apprehensive about spraying it into pots. I do know a sound guy who uses it on faders.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 6:41 pm    

Well, a quick look through some of CRC's spray products didn't reveal anything I would recommend for cleaning pots. Several items say they're electronics cleaners that leave no residue. That, to me, means no lube is left behind.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 2:36 am    

I'm a former amp tech and the Deoxit products are what I've used for the last 10 or so years.