The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho-bud restoration
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2017 8:26 pm    

This winter my beloved Pro III Bud will go under a full restoration.... My cabinet will be refinished by none other than Mark Giles while my good friend and beloved you tube instructor Mickey Adams will be handling the mechanical side of the project... He will be the first to tell you this guitar has mojo and great tone and the pedals and knee levers while not buttery smooth like Mullen are smoother than most Buds out there.... Jim Lindsay told me when I visited him last year "If all Sho-Buds played this smooth I would have played Sho-Bud"..... I feel this guitar is well worth it..... So this winter you guys will be getting pics of the process and hopefully y'all will enjoy this as much as I will.... Slim

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 5:48 am    

Bump

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 7:11 am    

By all means, pics documenting a steel restoration is always of benefit. Please do!

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 6:12 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
By all means, pics documenting a steel restoration is always of benefit. Please do!
You got it buddy.... This axe is probably the best playing and has the best tone of all the buds I have played..... Slim

Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2017 9:49 pm    

Yes. Lots of pictures!

Mitch

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 1:47 am    

well worth the journey ! I took apart my 75 Pro III a year or so back, down to the changer fingers. I did not re-do the body as I felt that the patina showed it's history and it's journey. Underneath though, purred like a kitten when completed. Not trying to "Steel" the thread...here's a couple of in progress photo's.

The Steel was sold to a forum member last year. I would do this again in a NY minute ! This one, my op, had the absolute best Sho Bud tone of the several SB's I have owned over the years.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 2:15 am    

tony, how did you get them so clean!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 2:54 am    

Dave Campbell wrote:
tony, how did you get them so clean!

I'm hijacking the thread and don't mean to...

Well, first you gotta take it all apart, then I soaked all of the OIL gobbed parts in paint thinner, cleaned them while they were soaking with a small brush, then ran them on a scotch-bright pad which was on the drill press. A few scars here and there needed to be hit on the fine wire wheel brush as well. I wasn't looking for perfect hi gloss maximum metal shine , the goal was really clean, get as much crud off as I could and re-assemble.

And thats what I did one part at a time !

Regarding the rods, cross shafts and bell cranks, I did them one at a time then re-installed. Took one apart, cleaned it, lubed it, put it back on.

In actuality it didn't take all that long. I think working slowly the whole project took maybe 2 or 3 weeks and that was letting it sit idle for many days in between . The whole thing probably could have been done in 20 hours or so which would have been 3 days or so.

I would do it again, it was actually quite fun and rewarding. The new owner got way more than he thought he was getting !

here's an Emmons SD-10 Legrande II changer going thru the same process. This changer was frozen it wouldn't move. This one took some time and a few curse words. My take on this is that it had multiple brands of oil or grease which were not compatible which collected dirt and grime etc.. It was a mess for sure. Every part on this Steel needed some kind of cleaning/attention, but underneath the grime was a diamond.

When completed , this guitar played as well as any Steel out there, it was a beauty.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 6:56 pm    

Tony your not Hijacking at all brother please feel free to share all you know... Slim

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2017 4:50 pm    

I rebuilt my ProIII a couple years ago and did what Tony did and also swapped out the changer positions since the C6th had relatively low use. I kept the original finish as well as it has aged quite gracefully from a blue to a greenish color. Here's a few pics:

Duane Marrs built this one....

Last edited by Kevin Mincke on 27 Mar 2017 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 6:39 am    

Kevin,
That Pro III plays like a Dream.......thanks for letting me sit in last Sat. night!!! Winking
Also I am still looking for newer style bud parts, Changer/complete C6 under carriage and non gumby head.
Neil/Bud

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2017 7:56 pm    

I can't wait for the restore on Red.... Me and her gel really well together.... The only other guitar I have loved like this was my 69 P/P that lost her life when my house burned down in 2010..... I have a lot of faith in Mark Giles refinish work as I do Mickey Adams who will be doing the mechanical side of the project.... When we get started I promise there will be tons of pictures.... God bless all you who will be witnessing this with me.... I hope it catches some looks..... Slim

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 1:17 am    

Thanks for the kind words Neil, it was great to see you again!
Mike the work ahead will be well worth the effort👍

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2017 12:43 pm    

Rebuilding an old ShoBud is very rewarding! IMHO

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2017 8:31 pm    

Hey Mike, did you ever get "ole Red" back, up & running? I was following this thread, hoping to see some feedback..? Thanks
Seen that you are on the list to play the Oklahoma Show...congrats!