The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb SOLD please close.
Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 2:17 pm    

Original transformers, speaker, pretty much everything to the best of my knowledge except for 1) the usual death cap removal; 2)the usual three-prong cord replacement and, 3) a JJ rectifier tube. The power tubes are the original RCA 6v6's. They still work and the amp sounds great with the original 12" Oxford 25w 8Ω speaker popped out in the 9th week of 1967 ... but the tubes are not running at their original, full power. Four of the 8 speaker bolts are gone, no doubt to allow the use of a vintage Celestion speaker w/ only four holes in the frame. I have a feeling someone removed the baffle sometime in the last fifty years to remove the bolts and did an inexact job of replacing the original grill cloth when they closed it back up. That said, it might not be the original cloth - no way to know. The staples holding it in place are silver. Aside from all that, it is in wonderful cosmetic shape, works great and sounds amazing. The amp weighs 42 pounds. I want $2150 for it plus shipping, PPG or add 3%.

Last edited by Nick Koff on 10 May 2017 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 9:36 pm     Re: 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb Blackface AB763

Nick Koff wrote:
Original transformers, speaker, pretty much everything to the best of my knowledge except for the usual death cap removal; but the tubes are not running at their original, full power.

What is "the usual death cap removal"??
Are the tubes just aged, or is there something else preventing them from full power?

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 10:33 pm     Re: 1967 Fender Deluxe Reverb Blackface AB763

Steven Paris wrote:
Nick Koff wrote:
Original transformers, speaker, pretty much everything to the best of my knowledge except for the usual death cap removal; but the tubes are not running at their original, full power.

What is "the usual death cap removal"??
Are the tubes just aged, or is there something else preventing them from full power?

The death cap is connected to the ground switch. If it goes bad, it's my (very limited and inadequate) understanding that the electricity from the AC wall outlet is directly connected to the amp's chassis. Should your guitar be connected to the amp when it's on, via the chassis and should you place your fingers across your strings, or touch your tuner, or adjust a knob, you will complete the AC circuit and get a wonderful shock. If that shock happens at a time when both of the valves of your heart are closed they will stay closed. By removing it, you avoid all of that potential drama. And hence the name, "Death Cap."

This photo was shot earlier this evening when I was poking around inside my '63 Princeton. This is an amp that some tech improved by putting in the usual three prong cord. What he did not do when he swapped the cord was *remove* the death cap. What he did do, apparently, is snip the end that was in the eyelet but he left it soldered to the chassis. That is a very sloppy way of doing things, and dangerous. When you remove it from the chassis it can no longer flop around and create problems in that tight little corner, but some people err thinking keeping it original is better. It's not in there anymore, but it will come with the amp if someone buys it.

Again, I'm no expert and my newfound understanding of these things is only the result of obsessive interest in anything I get involved with and currently it's old amps, but as for the tubes, well, the power tubes in this particular amp seem to be the original tubes installed in it 50 years ago. Not only will use create wear, as the tubes change the bias needs to be changed with them. If it isn't, and over the years, they start to run a bit hot that would further wear them. So these tubes are "worn," but have not failed, so they still work to a degree. The amp sounds great, amazing, really, but if I were keeping the amp I would call my friend Aspen and pick up a pair of NOS RCA blackplates or something else appropriate for them because that's how I roll, but someone else should probably take these out, pop in a new pair of JJs or something and rock out. In fact, the rectifier tube in this amp *is* a JJ.

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 3:29 pm     Sold and gone

Sold elsewhere. Please close.