The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a Geo L PF-1
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 10:52 am    

I have been using a George L PF-1 pickup on my old MSA Classic, should I try something else to improve the sound of the old Guitar??
To me it does sound a bit better than the MSA orginal pickup that was on the guitar. Got any idea if this is a better pickup?

Ernie Shocked

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 11:11 am    

The PF-1 is a great pickup, humbucking and wound to 18.5k ohmage resistance. I'm in the process of replacing the original Emmons single-coils in my 1983 PP with PF-1s.

Since improving the sound is completely subjective, I don't know of any way another pickup will sound "better" than the PF-1. Maybe different, but "better" is anyone's opinion only.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 11:30 am    

You also might try an electric volume pedal (if you do not already use one).
A Telonics or Hilton will greatly clean up the sound.

That being said, the old MSA Classics had a dark tone.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 5:52 pm    

Bill Ferguson wrote:
You also might try an electric volume pedal (if you do not already use one).
A Telonics or Hilton will greatly clean up the sound.

That being said, the old MSA Classics had a dark tone.

.....especially when played by Chalker.... Winking

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 4:46 am     Thanks, for the info

I am using a Hilton Volume pedal, so I guess I should be a happy camper. I think the old MSA sounds pretty good, at least its the best sounding MSA I have ever owned. I use 5 pedals & 5 knee levers. I know, I should be happy, unless I want to spend another fortune for another guitar, hell, at my age I just don't think that will happen!!

Ernie Smile

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 5:24 am    

Ernie, I put a telonics pickup on the E9 side of my MSA and the difference was night and day. While it may be a boat anchor to haul around, it's the best sound I have ever had. I recently added a Hilton Digital Sustain and a Zoom MS50g processor to my rig. I'd put my rig up against anybody's !

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 5:42 am    

Ernie, what kind of cables are you using?
And I mean, every cable. ie, to effects and etc.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 9:11 am     Pick Up

George L E-66. Had a bad to the bone sound on my Sho Bud D 10 back in the 90's. I also used and still use George L .155 cables with a Hilton volume pedal.

Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 10:34 am     Ernie again

Bill, I am using Geo L cables, all the way, I do use a Profex 2, Hilton Vol pedal. I guess I have a pretty good sound. I will be keeping the PF pickup on there. I don't get around too much anymore & just do a few gigs a month, so I guess I am going keep things as they are. I do think the MSA sounds good with this combination. When I play with a band, I use an old Nashville 400 with the black widow spkr. But when I do my own thing at the nursing homes I just play through my Yamaha PA channel & too me, it still sounds real good. I do a lot of instrumentals & sing myself when not in a band situtation [but with a band is where I really enjoy picking. Backing up youself & singing at the same time, can be a bit of a 'hold back' of sorts!! But its still steel guitar & its still fun. By the way, new steel was a MSA D-10, but with 5 pedals & 5 knees & a little change in the strings I play a few in the B6th tuning, this pickup really shines doing that stuff. Thanks to all for you replys, I appreciate it. I use a lots of tracks that I make myself with the computer & my other instruments, damn it sure is fun!!

Ernie Smile

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2017 9:09 pm    

Try bypassing the tone and volume knobs on the guitar, if it has them. It will give you a bit more oomph. Some steels have a mini toggle to bypass the tone or not.
One of my guitars has this switch, and I always have the tone and volume out of the circuit. It sounds better.
J

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 4:46 am    

I have an MSA S-12, with a Hoffnar Tonealigner.
I'm VERY fond of its tone.