The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twin Reverbs
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 4:55 am    

Are steel players still using twin reverbs much these days? I notice that those posted in the for sale section tend to get few responses.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 5:19 am    

I use my twin for gigs more than any other amp I own. I'll be using it tonight.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 6:33 am    

I don't always use mine, but I do from time to time.. I rotate between several amps, and I personally wouldn't want to be without a Twin in the stable.. I like the 85W versions better personally, this is a '69 drip-edge with stock 12's. Smile A p/p and a Twin is a pretty awesome combo..

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:39 am    

I'm back to a Twin Reverb, given my druthers. For decades, I've generally kept a Twin and/or Dual Showman Reverb in the stable, but for guitar they were generally too much for the typical club gigs I have mostly played. Fine for an archtop or pedal steel, but with a Tele, they peel paint at volumes where they sound good. Several years ago, I got rid of the last of the them - a 70s Twin and a '69 Dual Showman Reverb. But last year, I happened upon a real clean '68 Showman (non-reverb) with the 1x15" JBL-on-tone-ring cab and a nice, clean '66 blackface Twin Reverb with my preferred complement of a pair of original Jensen C12N speakers in good shape. These are to die for, especially for pedal steel, and I just couldn't say no.

The blackface Twin is the best archtop amp I've ever played and fantastic for steel, but even it is pretty edgy for a Tele. And it really is a PITA to haul around a Twin and, let's say, a Deluxe or Vibrolux Reverb for guitar. So I started looking into the latest power attenuators. I've messed with these since the first Scholz Power Soak came out in the 80s, and they have always left me cold, even the ones a lot of players say are OK. I guess if you just cut maybe 1-3dB, which can take the edge off a bit, they're not too awful. But for anything more than that, I think they just take away the sparkle that makes a good old Fender amp special.

But I ran across a relatively recent attenuator/re-amplifier - the Fryette Power Station. It presents a complex reactive load similar to a real speaker to absorb power, and then has 50-watt 2-6L6 based power amp to re-amplify the signal to whatever level I need for guitar. For what I want, it works like a charm for dual pedal steel and guitar use. I mentioned it in this thread - http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2577533 - and I'll borrow the picture I posted there:

I pretty much use this all the time now, especially if I'm playing both steel and guitar. There's a bypass on the Power Station, which gives full power for steel. I then preset a reasonable volume for guitar, which I can just switch in any time I like. To my ears, the result is very natural-sounding.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 5:39 pm    

I bought a new Custom 15 a couple of years ago for when I would be playing enough six-string to stand up.Even took it to a couple of steel-only gigs and been happy with it.Here's the steel-and-six-string setup.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 12:02 am    

Love my Twin.. used it tonight! I like the sound of a 'combo' amp, and with the Rick Johnson cab and the Sica neo 15" speaker, it weighs in at 57 pounds! 135w of joy! Smile

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 11:47 am    

I have tried to find an acceptable lighter weight amp to replace my Twin Reverb. I tried the Fender Mustang, Quilter 101, Standel Custom, Music Man 65, Peavey Bandit - but I keep coming back to my Twin with its Altec 418b.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 12:00 pm    

I started out with a '65 Twin with a D130F back in the mid 70's,then switched to a 115-65 Music Man with the same D130F..Now back to a '69 Dual Showman Reverb with a Fox cab loaded with a white EV-SRO 15"...Still have the MMan amps,D130F,Sica 15", EPS15C and many others for guitars..There is definitely something special about Fender Twins for pedal steel.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 12:41 pm    

I play my Sho~Bud through a Twin Reverb Amp...but have had only one stage gig, as a steel player. It sounds great and I'm confident it'll suffice when & if I get another opportunity...

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 7:38 pm    

If I didn't have my Milkman, I'd be gigging my Twin.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:48 am    

Twins get a bad rap because of the weight which is right near 70 pounds with 2 x 12's. Interesting, did any of us ever pick up a Nashville 400 or a Session 500 ?

I am now "TWINLESS" after being TWIN'ified since 1970. There is no better double duty amp . They are easy to fix and go a long way with periodical maintenance.

People say they are "TOO LOUD" . What does that even mean ? Do they mean too loud on volume knob 10 or volume knob 3 or 4 ? Frankly the Twins are not really any louder than any 50 watt Fender amp overall, what they do offer is another number or 2 up the volume knob of CLEAN GAIN. Thats where they shine. CLEAN GAIN up the knob. IF we are looking for natural tube breakup at moderate gig volume level, it's the wrong amp. Go back and grab any of the 45 or 50 watt Fender amps.

Yeah they are heavy, at around 70 pounds, strong iron. But if your BIG amp already weighs in at around 55 or 60 pounds then it's around 10 pounds more, not 70 pounds more.

Many people are not aware that many of the Marshall Stacks we see are not the 100 watt beasts, they are 50 watt beasts. The players that like to "push" those amps go for the 50 watters rather than the 100 watters for the tone and drive. Many of them say they can play louder and get better tone with the 50's over the 100's.

Plenty of 70's SF Twins out there for reasonable prices. They are all good, . If you can deal with the weight then it's a good day. No better amp for the money, no greater amount of amp for the money. Ignore the people who say they are too loud and too heavy. Both are subjective.

If a BIGGER amp is needed, grab a Twin, put some money in it for servicing and it will go years down the road.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 3:31 am    

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 3:58 am    

Yeah, there is nothing like a twin. Mine is a 1970 with the first channel modded by Bob Metzger for steel; second channel stock. The weight hasn't been a problem for me since I put the chassis in a head cabinet long ago (which is still surprisingly heavy, though!) Even though I haven't used mine for a while, it's hard to imagine being without one. Some unexpected expenses will probably force me to sell something soon. What I sell will depend on how high the bill ends up being. Whatever I end up selling it will be a "Sophie's Choice" kind of situation; nothing I can really bear parting with.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 4:28 am    

I used a twin for about 10+ years. "My right arm is longer" (LOL). The Twin I had was an AB768 chassis model that I bought new in early 1971 and came with two 12" JBL's. About 1976 I replaced the two D-120F's with a 15" JBL K-130 (4 ohm model). To me it made a big plus for pedal steel.

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:57 pm     Twin Reverb (Pawn Shop)

I've been using a Silver Face Twin at church for several months now. I love the sound I'm getting from it. I had it repaired and modded after it started to blow fuses on me. (See previous post--Pawn Shop Twin Reverb)

I wasn't sure about which speakers to use, so I purchased several pairs as shown in the picture. This includes two 15" EVMs (15L & 15B), two PV 1201-8s, and two Travis Toy neo 12" speakers. I just plug-in what I want, when I want, and go to town. For inspiration, I saw a picture of the Grateful Dead's speaker stack and put together my miniature version!

Here's my rig. I like to keep the TR at my left hand so the knobs are within easy reach.

Last edited by Don Mogle on 7 May 2017 7:20 am; edited 5 times in total

Don Mogle

Round Rock, TX, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 3:00 pm     Picture of TR RIg

Deleted...see previous post.

Last edited by Don Mogle on 7 May 2017 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 3:11 pm    

I have a few amps. I've owned my 1972 Silverface twin longer than any of them and it's still my favorite. It is modded for adjustable bias and reverb on both channels. It is mounted in a head cabinet. I have speaker cabs with one 15" speaker, one 12 incher, and two 12s. Tone and flexibility.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:43 pm     The Twin.

The Twin head weighs in at 50lbs., the 15" JBL's are 35lbs. each, and the 2-12 JBL cab is 60lbs., and they're much easier to move around in separate cabs. For guitar and steel, I prefer a two channel amp and to me a Fender just can't be beat. For our low power gigs, I pull out either a Pro Reverb, or a Deluxe Reverb and they sound fine, just not as loud as that Twin.

Carl Mesrobian

Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:29 am    

I had a 70's Vibrasonic reverb with orange JBL that I traded for a 10 string Melobar (why????), and now make do with a Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. There are projects (Quad Reverb, Bassman head, Pro Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Peavey Encore 65) awaiting my bench.

For me, it's how much use I was getting out of it. The Vibrosonic was sitting more than going to gigs. My Princeton and Deluxe are always going to venues with me. In a pinch I have a GK MB500 bass head and cab I could use.

Once I get the big guns up and running I might change my mind.

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown

Johnie Helms

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 3:28 pm     Re: The Twin.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
The Twin head weighs in at 50lbs., the 15" JBL's are 35lbs. each, and the 2-12 JBL cab is 60lbs., and they're much easier to move around in separate cabs. For guitar and steel, I prefer a two channel amp and to me a Fender just can't be beat. For our low power gigs, I pull out either a Pro Reverb, or a Deluxe Reverb and they sound fine, just not as loud as that Twin.

Wow, wild bill, that rig looks great... Love the options buddy..

I have a 71 SF Twin w/15" that I really like, but I'm starting to think I may like My Music Man HD130 equipped w/15" Spkr just as much. also caint beat'm for double duty, which so many of us steelers have to do these Days..! Good thang these amps come with wheels.. Lol.

Thanks.

JH

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:05 pm    

Hey Johnie, long time no see, call me when you're in town.

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 12:42 pm    

Ode to a '68 Twin Reverb: An Haiku

Tubes heating Tolex
Conjure nicotine zephyrs
I breathe Honky Tonk

©David Van Allen

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 1:32 pm    

Oh. man, *sniff* *sniff* Dave. That's beautiful. Makes me cry. *sniff* *sniff*

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:11 am    

I use a '73 Twin Reverb in everything I do. Heavy, but the tone cannot be duplicated!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 6:08 pm    

Got an Ultralinear with JBLs, & I modded it with a cooling fan, power outlet box, & casters. I can't use it until gas goes below $2/gallon & I get my hernia insurance paid up, as it kills my mileage, not to mention my groin.