The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Win 7
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 2:05 pm    

I'm looking at refurbished laptops. I'm replacing a win 7 , not sure if it was a Home Premium or a Professional. Is one more preferable than the other? Also, I would guess 64 bit is more desirable?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 3:18 pm     Re: Win 7

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I'm looking at refurbished laptops. I'm replacing a win 7 , not sure if it was a Home Premium or a Professional. Is one more preferable than the other? Also, I would guess 64 bit is more desirable?

Windows 7 Home Premium is a better choice for typical home users. The Pro version has special networking and encryption features geared towards businesses and developers.

As for 32 vs 64 bits, it really depends on the motherboard and the software you own, or plan to buy and the amount of RAM you intend or need to use. A 32 bit system can only address just under 4gb of RAM, while a 64 bit system can use a lot more (depending on the hardware on the motherboard. Most people who record streaming media, or have audio workstations or video recorders want as much RAM as their motherboard can accept. That could be 32gb and more. Some systems can handle 128gb or more.

I use a 32 bit system, with 4gb of Crucial matched RAM and it is just fine.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 3:26 am    

Check Dell Refurbished. I've had good results with them buying computers for our church.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 4:10 am    

Its a crapshoot with Dell "refurbs". Some are brand new cancelled orders, others are returns for problems and some of the "refurbs" still have the problem it was returned for.

Also, sometimes a new one will sell for the same as the refurb and have more features. Do your homework.

I worked the Dell community support forums for over 10 years. Seen it all.

Unless you "must have Win 7" go with a Win 10 OS system.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 8:00 am    

I just picked up a refurbished Dell with Windows 10 pro for $110 delivered, works great! Very Happy

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 10:28 am    

Erv, you probably did not get it from Dell, but some other place that refurbs old Dell's. I see them advertised on the web all the time. Usually refurbed "older model" business line PC's such as OptiPlex, or Precision models.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 10:31 am    

Jack,
You are correct, it is a Dell 780 Optiplex.
It came with a year's warrenty, a new mouse and keyboard, not bad for $110. Very Happy