The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tab for raised 1st & 2nd string?
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:16 pm    

A Pedal or Knee Lever raising the first string to G# and the 2nd string to E.
For a long time I thought this was my idea until I found quite a few others have this change too.

Does anyone have tab that they have showing how they use this change that they would like to share?

I have been using it on my 1st pedal or 5th pedal depending on the guitar.
On my Mullen it's on the 5th, but on my Star Guitar it's the 1st Pedal.
Like it best where it can do some nice things with the 5th string B to C# next to it for some good stuff at times.
Most times I like using it just for the unison sounds, but because I tune my 2nd string to C# it makes for a wild sounding 1+1/2 tone raise.

Other guys also use it on a knee lever, but I think I like it better on a pedal.
I see Dave Hartley, Mike Johnson, John Russell and Fred Justice as well as others also all have this somewhere in their copedent.
Must now be many more people also using it with all the 4 and 5 pedal E9th guitars these days?

Anyway I thought I'd start this thread by posting one little tab with this change.
I hope others will add some ideas they have used and like.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 1:56 am    

I currently have it on my RKL, but I think it might be better suited on a pedal as well. Although, I currently use that 1 & 2 string raise in a lick combined with the 2nd pedal, so I'm not sure what position it would be best suited in...It would almost need to be placed where my right foot can get to it, for me to keep using that lick.

You have an interesting setup there. Is that something you designed yourself? The absence of the typical C pedal changes is interesting, although I note that you get the changes on knees. I wish we could all get together and sit down at each others guitars, think of how many new licks we would discover by playing someone else's copedent!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 4:10 am    

Got some tabs for it here:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/E9%201st%202nd%20%207th%20String%20Raise%20Tab.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 May 2017 5:37 am     Greg, You are amazing!

Greg, You are amazing!
When I put up the post I never thought anyone had so many idea for that change.
I screenshot them all to print out later today.
Thanks you so much and I hope it will be useful to a lot of other steelers too.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 9 May 2017 5:55 am     For Tim

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your response also.
I've always had it on a pedal... Always for me means about the last 4 years since I thought it might be interesting to raise them.
Dumb me, I had no idea others had that too.

More dumb me is I never thought to combine it with the B pedal so will have to give it a try, thanks.

My E to F# on the RKR I've been using since 1978. At that time I bought a Sho Bud crossover with 7&1, Kind of useless on E9th to have 7 pedals and just one knee lever.
I ended up converting the guitar. Got rid of the crossover stuff and made it use 2 pedals on the E9th and the other 5 standard as C6th with the knee lowering the C to B.... Never did learn much on the back neck.

I used the extra racks under the E9th to make knee levers so the guitar it was now with 5 Knee Levers working on the front neck. Put that change there so I'd have the 3rd pedal stuff. Can't work it quite as fast as on a pedal but liked it so much there I've had it on every guitar since then.
It gives you a real nice extra decending run like in this or the opposite going up;
A---G# F#---E C#---B A---G# F# E
And you can still combine it with the AB pedals for all the BC pedal stuff.

On the new custom Mullen G2 with 5&5 I just got two weeks ago I had them set it up with the 3rd E9th pedal just to see if I'd like it there now.
Didn't care for it and really missed the few licks I like with the first two strings raised. Changed the guitar back to this tuning in less than a week.

When I got my Promat it had the F# to G# 1st string and the G# to F# 6th string on a knee lever. Thought that was kind of weird, but after fooling around a while with that 6th string change got to liking it so put it on the first pedal of the Mullen with the 3rd string G# to G change. I don't use the two changes together but do different things with each.

Theres an idea to get a bunch of guys together to try each others strange changes. Think it's called a steel jam or maybe not.
Thanks for you input. Starting to think there may be many more out there with this change also???