The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eddie Fulawka
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 4:20 am    

Heartbreaking, to read this...my most sincere condolences to his friends, customers, and family. He did build some beautiful guitars

JB Arnold

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:01 am    

Oh Dear-One of my favorite people ever-Hanging with Eddie in St Louis was one of my favorite things to do in the world. I'm proud to say I have 2 of his steels, and they are just the most amazing instruments you could own.

RIP Eddie-thanks for everything.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:02 am    

I knew him only by reputation, but boy, what a reputation!!!

Another master of his trade has left us. May he rest in peace, and may his family be comforted by the Lord's tender love.

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:17 am    

I am sorry to hear of the passing of Ed, I meet him twice.He was a great engineer of steel guitars he will be missed by all.
Spence UK..

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:47 am    

Eddie was a very special guy, and his instruments deserve their legendary status for the level of care and attention he brought to each one of them, as well as for how great they played and sounded. I cherish the memory of the day I spent hanging around in his shop, and the memories of the Fulawka Room at the ISGC.

Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:51 am    

I was lucky enough to go up to his place last year and visit with him with Steve Crosgrey - and Ollie Strong, who happened to pop in. Amazing man. We drank his home brew and talked steel guitars for hours. Thanks Eddy, glad to know you for the short time I did. RIP

Raymond Thiebault

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:00 am    

Our deepest sympathy go out to Eddy's family and friends. He will be missed.
Ray & Claire

Marc DesRochers

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 10:59 am     E. R. Fulawka

Knowing Eddie made me a better person... Being inspired by Eddie's example is something to be forever treasured. His art of "walking tall", his humor, his problem-solving... I will always remember, "It Can Be Done".

Bruce Deamude

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 12:47 pm    

It is so sad to hear of ED's passing. Thanks, Ollie for posting it on the forum. After meeting you and seeing/hearing your guitar, I knew I had to have a FULAWKA. Subsequent to a few calls and e-mails Judy & I made the trip up to Penetang to meet ED. What an afternoon. It was like he had known us all our lives. We came away with 2 pounds of spices and left Ed an order for an S10. He said that it could be a few years but if I wanted to cancel the order at any time - "No problem - I can sell all I can make". Within a few months he e-mailed and said my guitar was ready. What a surprise. We wasted no time and picked it up at the end that week. It is a gem and a fitting tribute to the master builder. Rest in the Lord's peace EDDIE R. FULAWKA.

Bruce & Judy Deamude
Georgetown, ON

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 1:33 pm    

That is sad. Life is fragile. My good friend here, Andy van Dyk, bought a guitar 7 or 8 years ago, and we went up a couple of times to see him. Pic attached. He had a long waiting list of folks who wanted one, hence, he had the sort of policy of buying them back when able because it was faster to rebuild one than build one from the ground up. We'll miss you Ed, a PSG icon.

George

"I play in the A Major tuning. It's fun to learn and so easy to play. It's as old as the hills....like me"

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 2:28 pm    

Sad news, although I didn't own one of his guitars, He treated me like we had been friends forever. Lots of great memories in the Fulawka room in St. Louis. A huge loss in the steel world. Eddie, you will be missed. Larry and Jean

Steve Smith

Bramalea, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 2:56 pm    

A very sad day indeed Eddie was an inovater
and a master craftsman. He was not happy unless he did it
himself. He once told me that the only part of the steelguitar he didn't make himself were the keys and he could have made those to if had wanted to.
You will be missed by all of us in the steelguitar community RIP my good friend

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 4:36 pm    

This saddens me greatly, to hear Ed has left us. Just last week I was thinking of Ed and for some time had intended to go see Him.

Let me say to all of you; if you have put off doing things, thinking that "someday" I will, stop thinking about it and "do it"! Don't live with regret over not telling and showing your love for a friend.

The very best of my musical experiences happened in the "Fulawka Room, in St. Louis. Ed and Irene became the best of, and very cherished friends

I and some friends had a plaque made up expressing our appreciation for Ed's contribution to the steel guitar world in the late nineties, and Scotty allowed us to present it to Ed and Irene in the "Big" room in St. Louis. They were overwhelmed with the reaction of the audience. They were humble, unassuming, kind and generous, and will be missed by so many.

I have a DVD of the presentation which I will try to download on the Forum soon. I have stories which I will begin to share from time to time.

We are currently ( my daughter, son and family) caring for my Wife, Johnnie, who had a mild stroke last week-end, and we use this opportunity to ask you to pray for Her full recovery. Thank God She has no paralysis or debilitating damage.

As soon as possible I will work on sharing some wonderful memories about Ed and Irene. Thanks, Lonnie Portwood

Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 7:12 pm    

I can't believe he's really gone. I have spent many hrs on the phone with him planning how I wanted my 1st Fulawka set up and when I got it the setup was just what I wanted and the pedals and knees were all right where
I told him I wanted them and the tone would make other players turn around and look and tell me that is a tone to die for. I will miss talking to him, and building PSG's wasn't the only thing he made, he made a special seasoning to go on any kind of meat and veggie's you wanted to put it on, I don't know what I'll do about getting the seasoning and parts now.
I would like to show you the 1st & 2nd "Fulawka", the black one is the 1st and Mr. Ed told me this is the first and only black one he has every built. RIP Mr. Ed and Loving Memories from Gary Arnold

Graham

Marmora, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 5:25 am    

Very sad to hear about this. Ed and Irene were two of the nicest people you could ever meet. RIP, both of you.

Lonnie: Believe the presentation you mention was at the 2002 Convention in St. Louis.
Couple of pics (wife had wrong year date set on her camera)

Another two pics taken at the Fulawka room that year:

Ollie Strong and Bob Lucier in the Fulawka room - 2002

The late Red Kilby and Bob Lucier taken just outside Ed's room. Red spent a lot of time in that room doing what he loved to do - singing.

Ed and Irene would just sit at the back of the room with big smiles on their faces.

Daniel Neill

Ontario, Canada living in Newfoundland, Canada
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 6:10 am    

Ed "Shorty" Fulawka was the embodiment of an increasingly rare set of values; he did a job well for its own sake and guaranteed his work for as long as he was alive. Luckily, the quality of his instruments will ensure that they make beautiful sounds in the hands of diverse musicians for many years to come. Ed was known to call himself a "hillbilly genius" and a "dumb farmer" in the same breath and somehow managed to be both humble and proud, blunt and gracious at the same time but in the most endearing way. Even when he was in constant pain and barely able to use his hands, he maintained a quick wit and inexhaustible sense of humour. I'm endlessly thankful for the time I got to spend with Ed Fulawka in his shop last spring. It afforded me brief but enlightening glimpse into truly driven and creative mind. He was always appreciative of my help (even if I was at times more of a hinderance) and was a gifted and patient teacher; when you passed him a tool he always mumbled a sincere "thanks."
Ed, your work will be forever missed but never silenced.
“Things are works of art when the act is committed, devoted, when people transfer themselves so completely into their works that they stand as accomplishments of human possibility.” Henry Glassie

Ethnomusicologist researching PSG makers and players--1958 Supro 6 string, Melelani 8 string, 1973 Sho-Bud Professional D-10 updated by Marrs and Surratt in 2003--Gretsch drums, Zildjian cymbals, Ludwig Bronze 6.5x14 snare, 1987 BMW R80RT

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 7:51 am    

I think Eddie looked at his instruments as his children.
When I got my Fulawka, I wanted to add a few things to it.
I contacted Eddie and he really hesitated to send me the parts I requested.
He didn't want me fooling around with one of his kids! Finally he relented and we got along famously. Very Happy

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 9:26 am    

Eddie was a truly Great addition to the St. Louis show. My favorite room to hang out in. Playing Bass and Singing in that room with so many great players that staffed or visited. Eddie was the main reason that the room was so much fun and filled with such great talent. He made each and every person who came in feel so welcome.
Eddie was literally in a class by himself when it came to personality. His was a warm and wonderful humor filled one.
Our very best to his family, and sending them condolences on this great loss.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 11:55 am    

WOW so sad. to here this news.Ed was a great guy. i had got a hold of him quit a few years ago for some information about his guitars. he went out of his way with letters pics and even phoned me. i should have bought one of his beautiful guitars while i had the chance, kiking my self now. peace to his family and friends. Rest Easy Mr Fulawka

Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 10 May 2017 7:39 am     Rest In Peace Ed

I had the pleasure of talking with Ed on the phone a couple times this year. Very inspirational man that I believe found his true life's work. He just loved talking about his steels and the players that played them. I was very happy to listen and ask questions.

I had put an order in for a guitar. I was very excited being Canadian myself to know we had such a gem and well respected man in the business right here in Canada. I asked Ed if I could give him a deposit. He said he never took deposits because he was so confident in his workmanship and reputation if someone backed out of a guitar deal he'd have it sold to someone else in no time. You don't find that kind of character much anymore.

Ed has had a helper named Aleks who he said he had upmost confidence in. It's my understanding Aleks will continue building under the Fulawka name and carry on the legacy. I'm a little sad. I just emailed Aleks on Sunday night requesting to see if himself and Eddie would sign the guitar for me as I respect what they do so much. I guess I was too late.

Regardless, although I did not know him well, he struck me as a man with qualities to aspire to. Rest in peace Ed.

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2017 7:20 am    

RIP Eddie! My father (Jerry) and I had many great visits with Eddie at many Steel Shows. He would always lead me right over to one of his S12U's to play for a while in his display room. There were some great jams thanks to him!
Sorry to hear of this.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 2:12 pm    

RIP my friend. Im truly blessed to have one of your instruments, Ill try to do it justice.

You were a great joy to deal with, and Im happy to call you my friend.

Thank you for all your contributions, my condolences to the many who will miss you.

John Norris

Peterson Strobe Tuners, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2017 10:39 am    

Sad to hear this news, I always enjoyed visiting the Fulawka room at the St. Louis show.

RIP Ed

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 2:11 am    

What can I add to the sentiments and feelings of loss already expressed so appropriately by those who have posted here?

All I can say is those who are privileged to own a Fulawka, have a part of steel-guitar history in their possession and care. Although the hands that created it are now stilled, the pride that went into the design and construction is undiminished. Another builder has left his legacy and joined the immortals.

RIP Eddie Fulawka. You really did build better than you knew.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

jim flynn

Salado,Texas
Post  Posted 18 May 2017 1:10 pm     God Bless Ed and his family

Another pioneer gone home.