The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Felix Mendelssohn's Hawaiian Serenaders?
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 10:48 pm    

I have read that Gary Brooker's father was a professional musician. His name was Harry. I wonder if it's him playing here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHEcwOgf4o
This is a quote fom a site by a man called Mike Cooper:
Quote:
Interestingly enough, through my interest in Hawaiian music later in life, I became a friend of one Kealoha Life who had played steel guitar and sang alongside Gary Brooker’s father Harry Brooker in Felix Mendelsons Hawaiian Serenaders, as did Sam Mitchell who was father to the folk/blues slide guitarist Sammy Mitchell with whom I shared many stages and even a record or two.

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 11:57 pm    

I think that is Roland Peachey, though both Life and Harry Brooker did record with Felix.

Brooker is on "My Little Grass Shack" and "Hilo March".

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 3:59 am    

My little Grass Shack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRzkDQJEqs
Mitch may I ask where all your big knowledge about that stuff comes from?

Colin Bolton

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 5:17 am    

Mitch Drumm wrote:
I think that is Roland Peachey, though both Life and Harry Brooker did record with Felix.

Brooker is on "My Little Grass Shack" and "Hilo March".

Hi.
Yes Roland Peachey with his triple necked Abbott steel guitar, Felix used many steel guitarists, Archie Coates,Billy Bell.Kealoha Life, Sammy Mitchell,Harry Brooker and my Favourite Roland Peachey (Picche)Harry Brooker who played the piano with Felix before Roland moved back to Canada, bitter that Felix was getting all the headlines, Harry Brooker was a big favourite with steel guitarists in England with many fans, but my favourite will always be Roland, his beautiful relaxing style of playing always impressed me, Kealoha who lived in Wales was widely known in the states, not for his playing though, it was because he never believed Joseph Kekuku invented to Hawaiian guitar, that though is another story, I have copies of documents from the BBC when they asked Felix to perform on television, they show the layout of the palm trees, and all the other south seas decorations that formed the stage for the Serenaders, Felix was warned that if he decided to appear on television he would lose 6 months of gigs from his promoter who I believe was Norrie Paramour, Felix carried on with the tv shows and the producer remarked that the camera should not pan too much on Felix because he could not conduct for toffees, and had an irritating stutter,such was life at the BBC at that time, Mike Cooper actually toured England as a Blues slide guitarist in the 70s,
went to see him here in Plymouth, in the West Country, played a tricone on his lap, happy day'. enough of my musings.

Colin.