The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  reducing pedal clatter
Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 4:09 am    

I searched the forum and found a post about this. The general consensus was "Don't worry about it." Another point made was "It's only an issue when recording."
I thought of another circumstance, however. That is, when playing with acoustic musicians without sound reinforcement. I've been invited to a bluegrass jam and would appreciate any input on reducing pedal clatter. (I get to pretend I'm Hal Rugg Very Happy).
I'm bringing a small amp that will have to be turned down quite low. The loudest clatter I'm getting is when I release a pedal BTW.

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:14 am    

Majority of pedal noise is caused by metal to metal contact. You could flip your steel over in an open case with legs and pedals set up. Then work each pedal and carefully observe which parts make contact. You can then use some stick on small felt pads on those areas to dampen metal on metal clank. Some steels use adjustable screws or bolts on pedal stops, where the pedal mechanism makes direct contact with a screw head to stop pedal travel. You can use nylon round head nuts or little rubber caps on those screws to dampen metal contact noise. Then you also have some pull rod noise, where long pull rods can flex and bounce of other rods or bell cranks when activated. Most people will use strategically placed foam pieces to stop that from happening. Hope this helps, enjoy your bluegrass jam, sounds like fun!.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 6:20 am    

Good suggestions Igor.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:28 am    

My Zum came with a foam block between the pull rods from new.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 10:14 am    

Jim, you may want to tell us the brand you're playing. There was a thread years ago involving a very inexpensive modification for GFI's that greatly reduced mechanical noise. I'm sure there have been similar remedies that players have come up with for other brands as well. Some may be interchangeable, some may not. But, the more specific you are, the more answers you are likely to receive.

If it is a GFI, try this:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=133031&highlight=gfi+players

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:50 pm    

Man, I miss Dale Hansen...he was such an asset to this forum!

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 6:52 pm    

I had similar issues with my Mullen. I solved it by laying under the guitar while working the pedals and levers by hand. I could see where the pull rods were hitting other bell cranks due to the rods flexing. I loosened the offending bell cranks and slid them over just enough to stop the rods from vibrating against them and tightened them back up. It gets a little tricky the more changes you have, but mine is quiet as a mouse now. Good luck!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 7:07 am    

You need to check the orientation of the bell cranks, also.
Some pull rods have a kink in the end that fits into holes in the bell cranks. This kink isn't always uniform. When you engage the rod, the bell crank twists the pull rod.
Sometimes you have to align the bell crank to match the bend in the pull rod for it to pull straight.
If you don't, the rods have a tendency to slap against each other.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2017 5:55 am    

I have an old Miller Custom. If left to its own devices it would be horribly loud underneath. The guy that set it up put rubber shrink-tubing, like you use in electronics, anywhere rods would clamor against each other or a neighboring metal part. This does wonders.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 9:29 pm    

Just don't be tempted to use grease like many used to do! It is a dirt, dust and hair magnet and wil ldo much more harm than good!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional