The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Side by side comparison, original vs National Scheerhorn?
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 8:35 pm    

I ended up ordering a new L-bodied, Broadleaf Maple Appy from Tom Warner. The body was complete except for binding and finish, so I was able to essentially commission it ought some suggestions from him.

As mentioned, I can't go out and hear anything in person - but the well-recorded Appalachians I've heard have great tone with a nice range of tonal variations and dynamics depending on picking positions and power.

I'm confident it'll work out great. Tom is a great guy to deal with - also has a great sense of humor (he must if he actually throws back the same kind of twisted things I toss at him!)

The price was also excellent! It would have been tough to find another high-end instrument at a competitive price.

Should be ready in 4-6 weeks. I'll report back with pics then.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Randle Cole

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 6:09 am     natonal scheerhorn

i recently sold a natitonal scheerhorn that i replaced the spyder with a #14 spyder as well as had scheerhorn do the set up before and after spyder replacement.

the only reason it was sold was to fund purchase of 1936 model 45 i have been after for 20 years. i really liked the guitar and wish i could have kept it.

the guitar had a lot better high end as well as a sweetness on the high end it didnt have before. overall a noticeable improvement.

i have 3 of scheerhorns guitars and was able to a/b off and on for a year.

the national scheerhorn is as close as your going to get tone wise to a scheerhorn. the national scheerhorn is a really really amazing guitar.

guitars like dobro's are not all equal even when built side by side by either custom or manufature.