The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  G# to B raise - 6th string
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 1:53 pm    

The Williams I recently purchased has the G# to B raise - 6th string on RKR.

It is an interesting change, bringing that string into unison with the 5th., but I can't really find much else to do with it...that is, to justify using up a knee with it.

Anyone use that change? Any songs with examples?

Jonah Turner

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 3:58 pm    

It was also on the guitar I got just a few months ago that used to belong to Tommy White. I don't know if it was his change or if it was added somewhere in between. I'll be interested to see what other people think of it too; I definitely haven't heard many examples of it.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 5:02 pm    

This gives some examples of that change and a few others.
https://youtu.be/PNMvxYqXw8I

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 5:26 pm    

Really cool link Rich!

Here's a nice sound for a slow ballad using the G# to B change:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab658.mp3

Tab in pdf format:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Tab/Tab658.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 6:33 pm    

Paul Franklin has it on his left vertical. He talks about in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phDJy_IiR1Y

Tony

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 7:52 pm    

This has become one of my all time favorite changes...I have it on all by guitars...Fabulous stacks of close intervals available...!!
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:32 am    

I just put it on my Mullen and love it. Now for the Williams.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 10:48 am    

Thanks for that video, Tony. Paul is awesome, of course. For some reason, it doesn't sound the same when I play it... Confused

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 12:30 pm    

That's quite a raise, how long does the string last?

Drew Howard

Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:12 pm    

Erv, good question. I would love to have this change. But how long does the G# .020 last?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 5:29 pm    

I use a .022 plain and have had the G# to B on 3 different guitars and never broke a string.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 7:11 am    

Another question, how many guitars have a changer that can make that change?
I know of some guitars that have a hard time dropping the G# to F#.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 9:07 am    

I was able to do that change with the .022 plain string on my old Jim Vest Sho-Bud Pro II custom, current Excel 12 string and my new Williams S-12.

Tuukka Ojala

Finland
Post  Posted 5 May 2017 12:04 pm    

Isn't this the same change that is at the beginning of the steel break on Look at us? This one:

https://youtu.be/uSfjp1ky4Mw?t=2m52s

I don't know how unusual it is to have that change but it would seem the Stage One has it too, unless there's some black magic involved which I'm not aware of:

https://soundcloud.com/user649826/look-at-us-mix

Mind you, I'm not a steel player (yet), but picking up changes and the like is what I routinely do to prepare myself for when the inevitable happens.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 8:43 am    

On the video Tony Dingus link to where PF explains his copedent, the vertical lever raise of string 6 G#>B is at 2:50>3:25.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2017 10:39 am    

Tuukka Ojala wrote:
Isn't this the same change that is at the beginning of the steel break on Look at us? This one:

I don't know how unusual it is to have that change but it would seem the Stage One has it too, unless there's some black magic involved which I'm not aware of:

Mind you, I'm not a steel player (yet), but picking up changes and the like is what I routinely do to prepare myself for when the inevitable happens.

Black magic: I believe the minor third drop in the Look At Us solo is on the 4th string, releasing from the C pedal whole-step raise to the half-step lower. Executing it on the 6th string with a B raise would have a quite different timbre.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 8:16 am    

I have this on my 0 pedal and also lower the 7th string F# to an E as well as raising my 9th string D to a B so it's just a giant power chord w 1's and 5's all the way to the 4th string.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2017 10:24 am    

Part of my problem is where to place it for best use. It is currently on my RKL, which also lowers the 2nd string. This interferes with some licks that I like to use.

On my other guitar, the 6th lower in also coupled with 1&2 string raise, which also cramps some licks. Should the 6th raise be on a lever of its own for best use?

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 7:26 am     I thought it was my idea?

Erv Niehaus wrote:
That's quite a raise, how long does the string last?

Just goes to show, I thought it was my idea?
I have it on my 5th pedal next to another that raises the 5th string to B to C#.
Maybe I should have it on a knee as well, but I'm all out of knee levers now. Laughing
Guess it's danged near impossible to have a new idea?

I've been using my pedals 4&5 together to get an E6th tuning from strings 10 to 3.
But I already have an A6th with pedals 3&4 that I use like a non pedal steel on 8 strings.
However I'm thinking I really don't need another 6th chord and the licks some guys are getting with just the G# to B makes me think of removing the F# to G#.

Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2017 7:51 am     Never a broken string

Hi Erv,
I've got both my second string C# to E (0.015) and the 6th String G# to B (0.022P) going 3 half steps and never ever had a broken string.
But I have screwed up a few good licks! Rolling Eyes
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 11:40 am    

Yes, this was the change that John used on "Look At Us". I have the Woodshed, Jeff did, on this, and does explain it on there, that it was the change that John had on the song. He does go on to show how to get the same sound, but with different approach. The only other I've seen was in Buddy Emmons, Sounds Of Christmas, he uses it several times.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 3:03 pm     but do they stay in tune?

I would think that pulling a string 3 half tones would knock the string out of tune..so even if it does not break, it probably detunes..not a change that I would want.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 3:52 pm     Re: but do they stay in tune?

Brad Malone wrote:
I would think that pulling a string 3 half tones would knock the string out of tune..so even if it does not break, it probably detunes..not a change that I would want.

Not sure about other steels, but with my Mullen and also my Star Guitar you'd be wrong.... Comes back perfect as soon as the strings are stretched out and stable. Very Happy

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2017 8:26 pm    

Tuukka Ojala wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/user649826/look-at-us-mix.

The Stage One does not have a minor 3rd drop change on string 6. The only m3rd drop change is as Brint Hannay explained, on str 4 using C release to LKR. Not sure what color the magic is, but it makes for some interesting possibilities.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2017 6:40 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Tuukka Ojala wrote:

Black magic: I believe the minor third drop in the Look At Us solo is on the 4th string, releasing from the C pedal whole-step raise to the half-step lower. Executing it on the 6th string with a B raise would have a quite different timbre.

Brint is correct on the John Hughey solo. I've known John since mid 70's, and don't believed he raised the sixth string to B. I would talk to him twice a year, and when we talked about our tunings, he never mentioned it. I have the tab that came with one of John's CD's, and that change is not on his guitar.

Amd I'm almost positive that that change is not on a Stage One, unless Doug made a special guitar for someone. If I remember right, the pedal and lever changes can't be moved around because the bell cranks are welded to the cross shafts. I'm not sure a pull-release guitar could make that change (Lane Gray would know).