The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bill Bryson
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:23 pm    

From Annie Bryson on Facebook, "For those of you who have not heard, Bill passed away in the early afternoon of April 30, 2017". For decades Bill was a beloved fixture in the L.A. country and bluegrass scene, perhaps most notably as bassist with The Desert Rose Band. There are many wonderful photos on his Facebook page. Here's one more, from the day he came over to play bass on "Sin City" for JayDee's CD. Having Bill on it meant a lot to all of us. We will miss him.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 11:25 pm    

This is heartbreaking,When I lived in Huntington Beach I had done a few casuals with Bill,He was the nicest guy,I remember playing a place in Long Beach upstairs probably a"Cowboy Maynard"gig Godspeed Bill!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 4:08 am    

RIP Mr.Bryson.
I was lucky to see him perform with Desert Rose Band Mark2 somewhere in the late nineties.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 5:31 am    

Sad day ... Bill was a great musician and a very cool hang. Godspeed, my man. Sad

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:02 am    

Yeah, this is a tough loss for those of us that knew Bill.
A wonderful player, and a great guy - one of those people you always wished that you got to hang out with more often.

The picture above was taken on Halloween 2014 in my studio while doing JayDee’s CD. We were intent on getting all the original Desert Rose guys to play on “Sin City”, and we were really thankful to get Bill over to record his part, since we knew he was ill. He was feeling pretty good that day, and we were all optimistic for him.

I’ll miss him big time.
Vaya con Dios, Amigo

LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 10:33 am    

This is sad for me, again LORD. Thanks " Bill Bryson "for the many little gigs we picked together. Our last one was with the late Lou Martin at the " Fire Fly " night club on Beach Blvd in Stanton,California. RIP Bill. Crying or Very sad

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 6:34 pm    

Sad to hear this. Only got to share a few words with Bill. He always had the best spirit emanating from the Desert Rose stage. Loved his playing. Can anyone comment on what illness he had? Ron

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 8:59 pm    

Bill and I both attended the same college back in 1963 and '64, and were both active in the folk singing club. We knew each other casually but were not close. After that we went our separate ways and did not see each other for over 50 years.

We met again at a party 2 or 3 years ago. Bill recognized me instantly. We talked about getting together, and him showing me his instrument collection. Sadly, it never happened.

R.I.P. Bill

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 8:12 pm     Bill Bryson

I was very fortunate to be able to play with Bill in numerous bands starting from the early 1970's until just recently.
Always a friend and the best guy you'd ever want to be in a band with.
RIP Buddy

...and he could rock a pair of shorts Cool Cool Cool

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 8:37 pm    

Great pic, Garry.
Yessir... Bill was rockin' in shorts right up until the end...quite a guy.

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 8:44 pm    

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 4:38 am    

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2017 9:37 pm    

I didn't post until now because this was a tough one. Bill was based on the L.A. area back in the 80's and I played countless times with him - obviously he would play with anybody (he would appreciate that!). He was a great guy, fantastic singer and a machine as a bass player - I don't remember him ever hitting a wrong note.

There are some excellent videos on YouTube from the 1980's filmed at the long-gone Banjo Cafe featuring Bill, Pat Cloud on Banjo, Bob Applebaum on mandolin, Alan Wald on guitar and many others - they are full sets from the infamous Tuesday night jam, and Bill is the host on most. It's great seeing Bill as the front man.

He's really going to be missed.

PS - Gary, great pic of Bill - and the amazing Ross Landry!
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2017 7:25 am    

That pic of Bill with JD in The Desert Rose Band is how I remember him. We hung out back stage one day at a multi band Zoo Benefit gig that they were headlining, in Billings Montana, ...Tom Brumley was on Steel that day. My band was the opening band and we had backstage passes all day. We also met Chris Hillman, and John Jorgenson that day, thanks to Bill.
Sorry to hear of this. He was great with Desert Rose.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2017 5:46 am    

So sorry to,hear Bill has moved down the highway.. Here in China I often watch that video that is two posts above mine where JD is wearing that cool black jackets with parrots and Bill has a blue suit. Chris Hillman and John Jorgensen are also chugging along. What a great video.

Condolences to Bill's family. Stevet

Jay Dee Maness

North Hills, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2017 11:49 am     Bill

I will always miss Bill Bryson.