The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone keep a double neck AND universal on hand?
Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 1:55 pm    

I'm curious. Are there any of you who find value in keeping a double neck and a universal horn on hand? With all of the debated merits of each format, do any of you find it handy to keep both in your stable? Or are you all so committed to one format or the other, you'd find no value in having both. I am tentatively thinking there could indeed be value in having one of each for different musical situations.

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 2:56 pm    

I had two of each, but sold one of the Universals (12 string). I still prefer the D10......over-all... but I like having the extra octave on the bottom of the Universal.....Thta's my story and I'm stickin' to it..

Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 4:09 pm     U-12, and D-10

Sure do. I pick which to use depending on the gig and travel and use Emmons set up on all - E's on the left!! Sometimes use an S-10 also.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 4:29 pm    

Yes, I have a Zum D10, a Franklin D10, and a Zum U12 E9/B6. They all have a place in my world. I have a couple of other steels, but for me, it almost always comes down to those three. All three are set up Franklin (Sho Bud) style - i.e., E=>F on LKL, E=>Eb on RKL.

I've had a ton of stuff going on the last few years and haven't had much time to play steel. I still do some gigs on steel, but as pressed as I've been, I sometimes sub slide guitar to keep things simple. But that's all about to change as I slide into retirement from teaching.

Anyway - the Zum universal is great for more bluesy and/or rockin' stuff. The low strings come in handy, and putting the D on a lever (and not on an open string) makes it easier (to me) for rhythm playing. It came with a Truetone wound to 17.5K, but I put in a Lawrence 912 pickup, which has a very pleasant bump in the midrange - maybe a little like a P90, but cleaner. There's no problem at all using this guitar for country/folk/Americana - and in fact, I did for a long time. But I'd probably put the Truetone back in if that's what I was mainly using it for. But on the other hand, the Zum D10 has Truetones wound to 17.5K and the Franklin still has the original Franklin single-coils it was born with. Thus the U12 as I have it configured gives a different sound and feel.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 6:05 pm    

I use my D-10 for teaching, but my gigging guitar is an S-8 tuned to D6th with a couple of E9th pedals added. It handles country, swing and folk-rock just fine. It's not a U-12, but it's as close as I can get to a "universal tuning" that doesn't break my back.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 7:06 pm    

b0b, I wish I thought I could do that. I'm not wise enough to pare it down that far. I just got ahold of a double 12 and it's the first time I've felt like I have all the stuff I want at my fingertips. I've always been bummed about not having the extended range on E9 and getting a G back on what is now my third string on C6 is fun for me. My D-10 seems silly to me now that I've the D-12. I'm planning to go universal for gigging purposes, for sure, because my S-10 I gig with isn't getting me all I would like to have. But, extended E9 has been so delightful for the few days I've had it available to use... I'm at a cross roads where I can see the value in various set ups I hadn't considered until now. Any way I cut it, I don't see myself going below 12 strings for my future.

It's reassuring to hear that there are others of you that vary the type of pedal steel you use for the musical task at hand.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 9:25 pm    

Brandon,

I played a D-12 for a few years. After a while, I realized that there were redundancies on the two necks, and I got sick of the chore of changing 24 strings.

Here's the S-10 D6th copedent that I'll be getting on my next guitar. Why haul around a behemoth if half the instrument can do everything you need?
<center>

</center>
P1, P2 and the knee levers (except LKV2) handle the E9th-sounding changes. P3 P4 P5 P6 LKL LKV2 RKL and RKR are all standard C6th changes. It's tuned to D because that's midway between C and E. A little bit warmer on the country side (think Jimmy Day), a little bit brighter on the jazzy side (think Speedy West).

Also, P2 gives the standard dobro tuning GBDGBD (skip the 5th string, or raise it to B with P1). Cool

Of course, a U-12 accomplishes the same goal, but it's more complex and usually doesn't have all of the C6th changes.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:57 pm    

I do also, Uni-12 is a Pre RP Mullen, and D-10 is an Emmons. The gig determines which one goes out the door with me.

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:08 pm    

b0b - that's a great job you've done. The amount of time and consideration you've put into planning your next guitar is evident. I believe part of the joy I'm finding in the double 12 is directly related to the ease of availability of any chord grip at your fingertips without thinking too much. I'm going to further study what you've been kind enough to share as I consider future options.

John, et al - I am pretty sure I'm going to end up using a single neck 12 for most of my gigs. I gig mostly with a rock band that has an Americana flair (I felt silly typing that, but I don't know how to better describe it) and the lower end can be nice for that setting at times. I'll keep my "new to me" D-12 set up all the time at my house for fun, recording and trying to do Western Swing. I'm finding it a fun and continually evolving journey as I continue to play pedal steel!