The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Another Dumb Question
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:21 am    

A week or so ago I had to replace some eqipment,,,modems, router, computer, TV etc. My neighbor tech guru helped me set it up. In the process of setting up router he created name and password for my network. So,,,can he access my computer with that info? I'm also having to use an older XP computer until I can replace my win7. I do run MB a couple of times a day.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 5:49 am    

He would be able to access your network, and probably your computer by association, so yes, you need to go in and change those if you are concerned about that scenario. I change mine often regardless of the situation. Hackers live and breath to get into your system.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:10 am     Re: Another Dumb Question

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
A week or so ago I had to replace some eqipment,,,modems, router, computer, TV etc. My neighbor tech guru helped me set it up. In the process of setting up router he created name and password for my network. So,,,can he access my computer with that info?

Not a dumb question - networking's complicated with lots of "gotcha's".

My experience with my own system makes me think he wouldn't be able to get into your PC itself, unless you have "Remote Access" or similar enabled. But he probably can access your router's internal settings utility, and you don't want that either. Not sure if, by "name", you mean your network's SSID (the network name it broadcasts), or username and password used to get into the router's settings utility. I'd change those last two.

Wiz will likely chime in with the final word.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:19 am    

Thanks guys for the responses,,,this tech challenged dummy needs ALL the help he can get. Since he is the one who set it up, he could potentially "enable" anything he wanted. Would it be possible to tell me (in this venue) how to go about securing myself?

Yes, it is the SSID name and access password that he has (because he set it up and told me what it was and to remember it. He is a very "good" neighbor but,,,,,you never know,,,LOL

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:56 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Would it be possible to tell me (in this venue) how to go about securing myself? Yes, it is the SSID name and access password that he has (because he set it up and told me what it was and to remember it. He is a very "good" neighbor but,,,,,you never know,,,LOL

First, understand that there are two sets of security data involved with wifi networks. One is the SSID and "key" used to secure your network so only those who know them can log onto your system and use it for wifi. The SSID is normally public; others can see it. But they can't log on and use your wifi without also knowing the "key".

The other username/password is used to access your router's internal settings utility, and can only be used on a device connected to the router, e.g., your PC. These are what you'd use to get into the router's settings and make changes.

Check your router's user manual for the procedures to access its settings. Usually, you open a web browser and enter either the specified IP address or URL into the browser's location bar. A login page should open with the router's name shown, and you're asked to provide a username and password. These are NOT the SSID and security key, they're the other ones as described above for settings. Once in the settings utility, you can change things.

In addition to changing the username/password for the router's Web GUI (Graphical User Interface), I'd also change the router's wifi security key, the one users use to log into the wifi network. It may take a little time to get up to speed on the kinds of security there are, and you may be asked to make choices. Time spent is worthwhile, though, since this is your primary defense against hackers, or just people who'd like a free ride on your wifi nickle. There's lots of info on the web.

Good luck.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:58 am    

Well I went to my IP address (which seems to be a pretty common address but I don't get a place to log in,,,just links that say "paid ad". It may be that I need to be physically connected to the router.

Another question, when considering new computers,,,will I need to get a win7 in order to transfer my backed up files from my old win7,,,or will they transfer to win10. Not much choice of new win7 OSs

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:46 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Well I went to my IP address (which seems to be a pretty common address but I don't get a place to log in,,,just links that say "paid ad". It may be that I need to be physically connected to the router.

Shouldn't see anything about ads. Did you check your router user guide how to get to the settings interface? Be sure you enter the IP address in the browser location bar where all the page urls show up - very top of the browser window. The process isn't the same for all routers, so I can't be more specific without knowing which brand/model router you have.

I just checked, and I was able to get into the router settings on my laptop, connected to the network via wifi. So it's not necessary to be physically connected, at least, not on my system.

Quote:
will I need to get a win7 in order to transfer my backed up files from my old win7,,,or will they transfer to win10. Not much choice of new win7 OSs

It's the file system the files use (fat/fat32/NTFS, etc) that sometimes matters. But Win10 should be able to read any files that worked in Win7. It does a few things differently from Win7, but you get used to it.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 11:33 am    

Hey Dave,,,I appreciate so much you trying to help me on this thing!!! Unfortunately during all the hassle of trying to replace all this stuff I probably
threw the manual away. It is a Netgear and it seems the common IP number is 192.168.1.2

Should I type www.192.168.1.2.com in the browser bar?

Randy Schneider

SW New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 12:06 pm    

Sonny,

No, you would just type the IP address into the browser bar: just "192.168.1.2" (without the quotes), assuming that's the correct address for the router.

If that doesn't work, you could try the other common default IP addresses for the router --

Quote:
By default, your NETGEAR router's IP address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

If nothing else, the manual for your router should be available for download on the web.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:06 pm    

Look for a tag on the bottom of the router. It might have the default IP address printed on it.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:17 pm    

Wiz Feinberg wrote:
Look for a tag on the bottom of the router. It might have the default IP address printed on it.

Good tip. Somewhere on the router case, you should find all the info needed to be able to go to the Netgear website and get all the setup info you want for it, including the manual.

Also, I Googled "how do I get into my router" and found this

Says to do this:

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router's network.

2.Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.

3. A login window opens. Enter the router user name and password.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Dave Potter on 1 May 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:19 pm    

whoooaaa,,,are you guys great or what!!!,,,finally got into it! I had tried those possibilities but ,,it finally let me in,,,these computers are more fickle than my last girlfriend,,,LOL

Now to go back to Dave's post and see if I can change the right user names and passwords. I guess XP is vulnerable enough without actually giving access to it. May have to wait until tomorrow,,,it's almost margarita time today.

THANKS A MILLION TO YOU GUYS!!!!!

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:25 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
May have to wait until tomorrow,,,it's almost margarita time today.

Great, glad you got there.

And, yep, "it's 5 o'clock somewhere"!

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:37 pm    

Yeah Dave,,,don't know what part of TX you're in,,,but in New Braunfels it's cheap margarita night at Los Cucos,,,,(2 bucks,,,and they are good!!!)

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 2:37 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Yeah Dave,,,don't know what part of TX you're in,,,but in New Braunfels it's cheap margarita night at Los Cucos,,,,(2 bucks,,,and they are good!!!)

We're close. I get over to New Braunfels often. I'm 20 miles from you - Bulverde.