The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Nashville 112 reverb noisy
Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2017 3:37 pm    

Good day
I have bought used Nashwill 112. It has noise when increase reverberation (master reverb).
In case take out reverb tank from the box and put on distance from the box (the cable from reverb tank is pretty long and allows to put it remotely) the noise decreases or even dissapear.
Do you think it is ok or is there any way to cope with noise?

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 11:32 am    

Crying or Very sad

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2017 4:49 pm     Reverb noise

Hello Molin,
It could be as simple as dirty connections. Get some tuner cleaner from electronics shop, and spray all connections from the amp to the reverb unit. Also, spray the reverb knob volume potentiometer, as well as all of the knobs. There is a small hole in the silver body of them from the backside to spray it into. Then turn them back and forth from 1 to 10 and back several times. You will have to remove the amp from the cabinet to do this. Not difficult, only 4 screws, then slide it out.
They can get noisy from just dust in them, and lack of use. I can't promise that'll work, but it just might.
Also, while you have the cable out of the jacket, look and check to see that the cable is not frayed or pinched anywhere. This is also a possibility.
Best of luck, and peace.
Pat Very Happy

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 11:37 am    

I also have a Nashville 112 and I have the same problem. Mine also has an annoying hum even with the reverb off, but when I turn the reverb back on it gets louder as I increase the reverb or the master volume. I though it could possibly be the my house wiring, but it does it in any venue.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 1:13 pm    

I have a Musicman 112RD that has these same symptoms.
I think I will hang around to see what some folks with more brains than I have to say.
At the moment I am defeating the problem using a Behringer FX2000 processor to get around and avoid the unwanted noise.
The amp works fine except for that annoying background hum when I turn up reverb or go high on the treble.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 2:25 pm    

Dear Pat, thank you for useful information. But i know for sure that the problem is not in knobs as they all are already cleaned. The noise is depend on the distance which reverb tank has from the cabinet. The more remote the less noise.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2017 7:48 pm    

Try standing the tank on its side against the back wall, or other ways of changing its orientation relative to the power transformer. You might want to go to an outboard reverb unit.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2017 4:20 am    

The tank must be in the cabinet with the connections facing the front of the amp.

From the rear of the cabinet and looking at the tank, the tank's output is on your right, away from the power transformer and the electrical cord connection to the amp.

You need to then verify that the cables were not actually wired wrong at the factory. The cable that goes to the tank output must be the one going to the reverb input. Easy to verify. Remove the cable from the output of the reverb tank (to the right, facing the back of the amp). Turn the reverb control up to around 3 or 4, touch the end of the RCA connector. That should produce a noise in the amp. If not then check the cable to the left. If it produces noise the tank wiring is backwards at the connector that goes into the bottom of the amp. That will cause the hum you have mentioned.

Below is a drawing of the Nashville 400 amp reverb. Same tank and orientation in the amp for your N112

Last edited by Ken Fox on 5 Apr 2017 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 11:55 am    

Dear Ken

I am very grateful for your advice, it helped! There is no annoying noise anymore!
The input wire was for some reason shorter than output wire though it is more distance to input. I would never guess that they should be connected vice versa!
And thank you for N112 kit chips!

Oleg

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 5:50 pm    

Glad that helped. Most likely the cables were wired wrong at the connector that goes to the amp or that connector was plugged in backwards.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 1:58 pm     Reverb

This couldn't be a new Nashville 400 that has had the reverb input and output wired backwards this long after the amp was shipped, is it?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 3:21 pm    

It was a N112, Mike. My diagram was for reference only only the tank type and orientation.

Possibly someone plugged the connector in backwards after the amp was shipped.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 12:59 pm     Nashville 112

I check the wires on mine, they were right. I then pulled the amp from the cabinet and cleaned all pots with electronic cleaner, still have the noise, only in the reverb. If I turn the reverb knob completely off I have no noise. I'm not an ace amp repairman so I think I'll take it to someone who IS. Thanks for all the input. Jack

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:59 am     my bad...........

:)

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 9:31 am    

I took mine to a repair shop,at Mayberry Music and they fixed for me. They said it was the molex. It only cost me $45.00 and now it's quiet as a mouse.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:02 am    

The reverb in my '77 LTD 400 is also quite noisy. This little box cured the problem. Sounds better than the factory unit to boot:

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:50 pm     '77 Ltd

I'd become noisy if I was that old too!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2017 4:14 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
The tank must be in the cabinet with the connections facing the front of the amp.

From the rear of the cabinet and looking at the tank, the tank's output is on your right, away from the power transformer and the electrical cord connection to the amp.

You need to then verify that the cables were not actually wired wrong at the factory. The cable that goes to the tank output must be the one going to the reverb input. Easy to verify. Remove the cable from the output of the reverb tank (to the right, facing the back of the amp). Turn the reverb control up to around 3 or 4, touch the end of the RCA connector. That should produce a noise in the amp. If not then check the cable to the left. If it produces noise the tank wiring is backwards at the connector that goes into the bottom of the amp. That will cause the hum you have mentioned.

Below is a drawing of the Nashville 400 amp reverb. Same tank and orientation in the amp for your N112

Ken my friend, thank you a million, I just got a super nice 112 that had a terrible reverb noise, after reading your post, and following your advice, I swopped the wires, and voila ... amp is quiet as a mouse ... interesting thing to me is that someone bought that amp new, and played it like that for years with all that hum, without fixing it ... beats me

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2017 4:48 am    

I have seen at least one N112 where the cable were punched down backwards at the small Panduit style connector rhat plugs into the chassis circuit board. The essentially wires the tank backwards. Good that you got the one fixed. Glad I could help.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2017 4:01 pm    

It sure did help my friend, amp is quiet , and works great now... thank you so much 👍

Molin Oleg

Saint-Petersburg, Russia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2017 12:25 pm    

New skin))