The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rick B6 (Unable to turn Height adjustment screws)
Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 10:43 am    

I wonder if anyone could give me some advice about a Rick B6 I have. It has the T logo, so I’m presuming it dates from the late 40s. I purchased it about three months ago.

I’ve been having some problems getting even volume across the strings. Strings 1, 2 and 3 are louder than strings 4, 5 and 6. The 3rd being the loudest.

I’ve been experimenting with different string gauges, particularly for the 3rd and I will continue with this. But I was also hoping to adjust the pickup level.

This is my first hands on experience with a B6. From what I’ve read the two screws to the right and left of the magnets ought to allow me to adjust pickup height.

But when I try to turn these there is no movement.

Do I have this right? Does this model allow for this type of adjustment? I’m using a fairly firm grip but I don’t want to force things.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 3:22 pm    

The springs are probably rusted ... you can try carefully pulling up/pushing down the top flanges of the magnets while turning the screws ... but don't pull crazy hard ...

Sometimes the springs are cut too long ... and get fully compressed ...

Sometimes the magnets are not precisely drilled ... and can "catch" on the surround

These are the most common issues that cause what you are describing.

It's fairly simple to lift the pickup with the surround up ... and inspect the springs ... just don't lift it too high ... don't want to pull on the hot hookup ...

Springs can be obtained from any well stocked hardware store.

When units come through here ... I usually give those over-staggered pole pieces a little "manscaping" ... Wink ... the oldest ones were flush ... which make dialing in a good balance easier than with the staggered ...

Check the springs ... hopefully that will take care of the problem ... if not, let me know and I can help to get it working at full potential

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 2:37 am    

That’s very helpful. Very much appreciated. I’ll try out your recommendations.

I wonder if you could elaborate a bit bit more on ‘manscaping’. Are you suggesting that it is possible to file down the pole piece for the 3rd string in order to balance out the levels? Or am I misreading this?

Couldn't find 'manscaping' in Websters Smile

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 5:08 am    

I take a little Dremel tool with a barrel sander .... and carefully bring down the stagger ...

Personally, I like them flush ...

Rickenbachers are not know for there "attention" to detail ... like cutting slots, pole uniformity, etc .... I've had some through here where the treble pole hardly left any room for a string over 0.016 ....

It seems that the stagger had been designed for tunings of the time ... lots of room for big E strings ... but isn't as user friendly for tunings like C6 where your bass string is a smaller gauge.

Anyway, carefully (lite on the torque) filing or sanding down the poles ... no biggie .... just don't try and push them down or pull them up ... that will crack the Bakelite bobbin and compromise the coil ...

Hope that helps Mr. Green

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 1:23 pm    

This is extremely helpful!
Lots of useful information.
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:25 pm    

I inspected the springs and as you'd suggested they’ve rusted up. I’ll work on freeing them. Thanks for the heads up!

I’m also hoping to adjust the ‘stagger’. Would I need to remove the magnets first or is there a dremel tool that would work in that confined an area?

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 12:57 pm    

Looks good, a good overnight soak in some anti rust oil should do the trick, once you are able to remove the the springs and screws give them a good bath another 24hrs or so in WD 40 or equivalent (sorry I do not what is popular in US) A light clean with a dremel sized wire brush and give it a test run before you consider grinding the poles,Ricks advice is sound but you may be happy with initial results |& adjustments.

Regards

Lee

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 2:58 am    

This certainly sounds the way to go, Lee. I was worried that they might have been fully compressed but actually it looks like I’ll have some play on both sides once I get them freed up. I’m hoping I’ll be able to tune in the balance I’m looking for.

As it is I have quite a jump up in volume as I move from the 3rd to 4th string. I’m adjusting my attack to compensate but hopefully this’ll do the trick.

PS: WD 40 is a ‘go to’ product in my neck of the woods as well Very Happy

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 11:39 am    

Sorry that I assumed you were in the US but they are both a world away from here when it comes to steel guitar playing, when I explain I play Guitar, then lap steel people here look at you blank until you mime it looking like a conjurer about to perform a trick!!!!

Lee

Ted Duross

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 2:48 pm    

Hey, us Commonwealth players have got to stick together Very Happy