The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finally
Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 3:39 am    

Well I finally got my Boss Katana 112, and tried it out last night. For the most part, I like it, but it sort of has that mid range HONK, that I don't like. Maybe I just need more time to find the sound I'm looking for. I've tried it with the mid range all the way off, but it's still there, and sounds like someone singing through a paper towel tube, if you know what I mean. My Nashville 112 sounds better. Tommy.....

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 10:46 am    

I've found, when setting up a new amp, it is best to set all controls flat and work from there to dial in "that" sound. I'm sure you know that, but I just wanted to mention for any newbies that may happen across the thread.

Funny thing, though; I will still sit down at a new amp and catch myself "presetting" the controls to what I "think" they should be at...and I'm usually off on the sound when I take that approach. I like your description about singing through a paper towel tube. Laughing

For my tastes, I seem to get my best tones from amps that are not considered steel amps. Currently, I play my Sierra through a Dean Markley 60 watt., and I can get it to sound just like a push pull. (to my ears anyway...)

I've never played through a Boss Katana 112, I just now looked it up, and I like what I see. Sounds great in the youtube demo too. Hmmm...., can I fit one more amp into the practice room....?

I like the fact that you can experiment with different setups using the Boss Tone Studio editor software, that is a nice touch. I did that before with a Behringer I have.

Good Luck, have fun with that new toy!

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 12:23 pm    

Alot of times the speaker has as much to do with the honk as the amp. Try different speakers to pair up with it.