The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB gig-worthy U-12
Joe Stoddard

Corning, NY area (USA)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 11:19 pm    

Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a gig-worthy U-12 set up E9/B6. I trust the pickers here to know a good guitar and make a no-BS recommendation. I'm ok with a fixer-upper as long as the bones are solid. Thank you in advance.
Joe Stoddard

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 6:36 am     WTB gig-worthy U-12

Hi Joe,

I have a like new Williams U-12 E9/B6 for your consideration. Includes a sturdy road/flight case with wheels.

In my opinion, Williams guitars are some of the best currently being built today. Nicely designed, quality construction, great fit and finish and easy to work on.

Here is a link to my ad: http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2624648#2624648

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

Joe Stoddard

Corning, NY area (USA)
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 1:02 pm     Can the E's be moved to the left?

Lynn
Honestly I hadn't considered anything that new but I'm not opposed. Questions 1) Do the E's have to be on the right in the universal tuning for some functional reason, and... 2) If not, is there any physical/mechanical reason they can't be moved to the left on this guitar? I'm probably enough of a greenhorn noob on PSG that I could re-learn but don't want to if I don't have to...

Unrelated (sort of) question what do think of Zane King's E9/6 tuning (no cross-over strings)... I was actually thinking of doing that tuning (but with Emmons pedals set-up) only because being a 6-string player I've never been able to get my head around the E9 cross-over tuning on the high strings.. Thx in advance

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 11:04 pm    

HI, Joe, you can't go wrong with a guitar Lynn's worked his magic on. If you're still looking I have an 80's Zumsteel Universal you might take a look at. As for the E's being on the right knee, having the Eb lower (at least) on the Right gives your left leg more freedom of movement when swinging over to pedals 4-7 or 8. For those who play in "B6" mode for some time, holding the E-Eb in is easier with it on the right knee. Some copedants leave the E-F on the left, usually moving in the direction of the A pedal foot movement for typical A&F positions, but many people like the E-F opposite to the E-Eb on the same leg, as with the standard Universal setup from Williams. As with many things, it's how you use it and what makes you most comfortable.

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 7:46 am     Can the E's be moved to the left?

Joe,

Mark, has spelled out exactly what I would have said about having the Es on the left with this type of setup. Unless you have a lever locking device (to enable the Es to stay lowered) it really isn't practical to play in B6 mode with Es on the left. This is why most universal copedents at least have the Es being lowered with the right knee. As Mark said, it is possible to still raise the Es to F with the left knee, if that would be your preference.

I play six string too, but I quickly learned to embrace having the chromatic strings at the top when I was first learning to play PSG.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

Joe Stoddard

Corning, NY area (USA)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 8:37 pm    

Mark van Allen wrote:
I have an 80's Zumsteel Universal you might take a look at.
So what are you asking for the Zum? You can either email me or PM (I think I have that turned on Winking.

Joe Stoddard

Corning, NY area (USA)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 8:46 pm     Re: Can the E's be moved to the left?

Lynn Stafford wrote:
....unless you have a lever locking device (to enable the Es to stay lowered...

Lynn - I was under the impression that if you were going to seriously play B6... you'd need some kind of locking mechanism. It's hard for me to imagine playing a whole tune (or set for that matter) and having to manually hold the Es lowered - but then I read that U12 players do it and get used to it... So what kind of locks are out there and does anyone good use them? Thx!

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 7:41 am     Re: Can the E's be moved to the left?

Joe Stoddard wrote:
Lynn Stafford wrote:
....unless you have a lever locking device (to enable the Es to stay lowered...

Lynn - I was under the impression that if you were going to seriously play B6... you'd need some kind of locking mechanism. It's hard for me to imagine playing a whole tune (or set for that matter) and having to manually hold the Es lowered - but then I read that U12 players do it and get used to it... So what kind of locks are out there and does anyone good use them? Thx!

Joe,

Lots of U-12 players don't use a lever lock. It just depends on how long you intend to play in B6 mode before returning to E9. If you play a lot of jazz and swing, a lock might be more beneficial. Some folks just go back and forth between modes, so a lock probably would not be used much. I have a friend (and fellow Forumite), Christopher Woitach here in Portland that plays an MSA U-12 that I understand is tuned "open" to B6. He is a monster jazz musician, so he only plays in E9 mode occasionally by raising his open Eb notes to Es with a lever.

I installed a lever lock in a Williams U-12 recently for a friend. I revised the right knee levers so that the RKL lowers the Es and installed it there. I used a De-Sta-Co over center clamp and lever similar to the one I installed in a ZumSteel U-12 shown below.

Williams Guitar sells a lever lock device as well. It's totally independent of the lever itself and relies on friction to hold the Es lowered.

STEEL GUITAR WEST

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 10:46 am    

Hi, Joe, no email in your profile so I sent a PM, let me know if you got it, thanks.