The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 tutorial/information
Matt Davison

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:37 pm    

I just picked up a D10 and have no experience playing C6. Does anybody have any resources or websites I could be directed to, so I can learn? There isn't a whole lot of YouTube C6 videos. Thanks!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:47 pm    

From my experience a good knowledge of music theory is a must. I would start there and build from your knowledge.

Matt Davison

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 6:50 pm    

I have a pretty good knowledge of theory. I've been doing music for almost 20 years. It's just such a different style than E9.

Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:23 pm    

Herb Steiner

and others at the top left of the page under the instruction tab

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Instruction/C6th-instruction/

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 1:38 am    

the C6 theory is no different than the E9th theory. Theory and chord construction is the same as on a Ukulele.

The difference is, on the E9th we use AB peds to kinda go from the 1 to the 4, with a relative minor and a SUS stuck in between. We add subs with the K levers. We don't think about it and don't really need to. The open or AB positions repeat up and down the fret board. We really only focus on what key we are in when the singer announces the song key .

C6, no different, 5,6 and 7 peds bring out the most simplistic relative theory except we are NOT rocking on peds like on the E9th. The tuning and relative changes are sitting right in front of us, in multiple positions on the fret board.

The grips are certainly different than E9th and we are required to play single string lines and phrases , but the music and the theory of it all may actually lay easier on the C6th .

It's intimidating because we are expecting ourselves to sound and play like Buddy, Doug, Tommy etc...which in the scheme of things may never happen. But playing common songs and chord progressions is not out of the realm of very possible. Yes the style and approach is different, but thats on US not the instrument.

No different than sitting at home on a piano or guitar playing single note scales , if WE hit the right notes, we got music, if we don't we got something different than music, BUT the music is there waiting for us, sitting right in front of us.

Every musical instrument requires SOME music theory to progress, its a common language. That doesn't mean we have to play with Miles Davis , we need to understand enough to play the Legion on Sat nights with the band.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 5:09 am    

Although I'm still only a relative beginner I have studied both necks from the off, so I can compare them.

On the E9 we are used to accounting for every note, and most chords are a simple inversion containing the root. The pedals give us notes within the scale.

On the C6 pedals 5,6 & 8 give us modulations outside the scale, creating 9th chords which are often played without the root and treated as 7ths. It's a lot more intuitive.

As for instruction, be sure to get Buddy Emmons' Basic C6 course (I got mine fron Jim Palenscar). Some of it is not obvious but it repays study. Be sure to listen to all of the CD, as he says things that are not in the text.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 9:12 am    

The easiest way to learn the 6th is to find an instrumental that you play on the e9th and start playing that on the c6th. Find your chord positions relative to the note your playing. You will learn a lot about the c6th from one song using this method.

When you have the song down then start using chord substitutions

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 5:48 pm    

I bought Buddy's Basic C6 course from Jim Palenscar. Also got all three of Steve Palousek's C6 courses, along with Herb Steiner's Texas style C6 courses. They are all great .

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 9:01 pm    

Here is a thing I did a while back

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43781&hig

Matt Davison

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 1:37 pm    

Thank you all very much for your input!

Chris Sattler

Hunter Valley, Australia
Post  Posted 2 May 2017 5:51 am    

Try Herbie Wallace stuff:
http://www.herbywallace.com/pages/steelcourse.html.

I've got some Herb Steiner stuff which I like. The Emmons "Swinging" series is great but hard as is Jim Loessberg. Jim's arrangements are just wonderful but very challenging.

Mickey Adams does a few things with C6 on his YouTube site.

Enjoy. It is a terrific tuning.