The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leg Hardware for Pedal Case
Phillip Broste

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:28 pm    

Hi folks, this may not be the appropriate forum subject, but I wasn't sure where else to go.

I'm planning to take on a DIY project to build an elevated, break apart pedal board/gear case with fold out legs. A quick internet search reveals that there aren't many options for leg hardware out there, and most of them are expensive.

All I really need are is a pair of bent tube style legs that fold down and elevate the case up about 12-18". I figure someone here has got an idea I haven't thought of.

Thanks!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 2:25 am    

Check with Joe Naylor, who builds those. He may sell you a set of legs.

http://www.steelseat.com/

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 2:52 am    

Jack's suggestion is the best option.

Option 2 is to study the pics on that site. With a pipe bender and some thought, that's a way to get there.

Finally, if you want to totally fabricate with off-the-shelf hardware and don't want to do pipe bending, there are some other materials that can work. This is pvc pipe. Not elegant, probably ridiculous, and you would need to find solutions for the key thing that my situation had no need for---positive 90° stop/bracing.

As you can see, the upright nature of this thing presents an entirely different situation than you have but I present it just to show the materials. For this, the case itself is the brace/stop and the U-brackets and gravity provide some friction to keep things in place. But for 'table'-like 90° posture you need to provide the additional hardware bracing as per the steel seats.
I would NOT use this material for the load bearing of a seat.

Hope this helps give you ideas.

Phillip Broste

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 1:02 pm    

Thanks to you both! I'll check out Naylor. I may know someone local who can fabricate bent pipes too.

Jon, your suggestion also calls to my mind steel 1" pipe, which could also work and might be sturdier, but would be heavier than I'd prefer.

I'll keep working at it and post whatever I end up with.