The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  iRealB experience?
Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 2:15 am    

Not sure if this is the right forum section but this is where I get the best answers! I was jamming at a local session last night and a singer wanted to play few tunes not in the usual Real Books. Someone produced an iPad, and pulled up the relevant chord chart in an app called iRealB. The chart was in the wrong key but in a single "click" the key was changed. I was impressed!

It's a reasonably priced product ($12.99), claims to be a great practice tool but as far as I can tell from the web site, it can only support a chord chart, not melody line or notation. I don't think there are any "productized" song books for it, seems to be like BiaB, forum driven.

So my question is: share your experience of the app and of the quality of it's forum's contributions

Btw, I have a 12 yr old BiaB on Windows and was thinking of replacing it but it is become very expensive and offers way more than I will ever need. Hence this app sounds like a strong alternative!

\ paul

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 8:12 am    

Hi Paul.
I'm using BIAB 2016 on my Windows Laptop, but I also have the iRealPro app on my iPad.
There are thousands of tunes ready to download in iRealPro, which are categorised, Counrty, Jazz, Pop, Rock, even Gypsy Jazz! The programme is much less powerful than BIAB, as the instrument choices are quite limited and there are not so many styles available.
However, it's a very good programme for the low price and any updates are free.
No notation or melody lines with the app, but it's good for practising as you can change tempo, instruments, styles and the key whenever. In practice mode it will play the file in increasing tempos.
For the £12.99 you quoted, you can't go wrong.
Keith.

Sebastian Müller

Berlin / Germany
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 9:23 am    

Hi Paul,

I use IRealB to make chord charts for my band, never use the forum. It's pretty convenient! Thumps up !

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 11:34 am    

I love it. Melody lines mean copyright, which means big $. Fits nicely on a phone, and is an excellent tool for learning changes and solo practice. The limited tones don't bother me when playing along, and it's a breeze for chart making and reference on the fly. The forum is fantastic for ready-made jazz fake books and practice exercises - being able to switch keys into number notation has done a lot for my reading. You should be able to get limited access to the forum online without purchasing the app to get a sense of what's offered.

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 11:59 am    

I've moved this to Music from Steel Without Pedals, as I think it's more appropriate there.

I use iRealPro regularly and love it. It's well worth the money in my opinion.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 5:00 am    

I use it for at least 2 hours every day. Great practice tool and invaluable bandstand resource.