The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pete Drake technique in this video ??
Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 7:59 am    

How does he get this sound and tone ? Eerily unique and beautiful at the same time. Link is below.

For my money, he was the most creative artist on the PSG. He could play anything. Just my three cents worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5RwrahGBY

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 8:39 am    

Unless there's something wrong with my hearing, I couldn't hardly hear him in the mix.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 9:03 am    

Me too Erv. All I think I heard was a few harmonics. Unless he was doing the BossTone string effect we used to do. I didn't see any strings on the set, but believe I heard them.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 9:10 am    

If this is indeed a live performance, he appears to be playing what sounds like string section parts. You can see him somehow tremolo picking during the chorus (1:00)--perhaps just brushing across the strings. Higher violin-sounding lines elsewhere, with lots of reverb.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 1:06 pm    

That is not a live recording I can assure you. Studio all the way. Instruments and vocals. What I am hearing is real violins and the steel doubling some lines with the violins. I think he was just fanning the strings for gullible folks that might be convinced he's doing the string tremolo. They did that all the time back then. Listen to the Lynn Anderson hits like "How Can I Unlove You" and you will hear it even more clearly where Pete Drake is just doubling the same part with the string arrangement. When this video was made the Boss Tone was way off in the future because I bought one when it first came out. Still got it somewhere. I'm 63 and might have been 5 or 6 years old when this was filmed.

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:00 pm    

That's pretty blurry on the iPad. Is that Faron Young sitting on Skeeter's left? Probably not since he probably could not have sat still for that long. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bill Cunningham

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:08 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
Listen to the Lynn Anderson hits like "How Can I Unlove You" and you will hear it even more clearly where Pete Drake is just doubling the same part with the string arrangement..

Now that's something I always wondered about. Were the strings doubling Pete or was Pete doubling the strings??? You hear that a lot on Glenn Sutton and Billy Sherill produced Columbia records from back in the day. Lynn Anderson, George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Rich, etc.

In other words, did Pete play along with what had been written for the strings or were the string parts written to duplicate what Pete played and overdubbed?

I'll bet Steve Hinson would know....

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:35 pm    

In this particular situation,I think that Pete WAS the strings!
These"no budget"country music movies often featured music tracks that were
obviously neither live or the original records...

That leads me to believe that they held sessions to cut tracks just for the movies,and they didn't have a budget for strings,so...

I heard a Waylon record from the 60s the other day and Pete was playing string lines with a fuzz tone...

Just another question I wish I could ask Pete...

He used to hold court at"Pete's Place"late at night...he had all kinds of stories about Grady,Buddy,Day,Big Ben Keith...he'd sit there for hours and tell stories...

BTW...concerning overdubs on Sherrill/Sutton stuff...Pete would have been on the tracking session and the strings would be added later,so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the strings doubled whatever Pete played...another reason he was there...he played such simple stuff that it could easily be transcribed by Cam Mullins,Bergen White,or any of the string guys.

Hope this helps...

Steve

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 3:56 pm    

Steve Hinson wrote:

Wait--are you saying he really may have been playing the "string" parts--in pre-recorded form or live?

Potentially gullible minds want to know.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 5:06 pm    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Steve Hinson wrote:

Wait--are you saying he really may have been playing the "string" parts--in pre-recorded form or live?

Potentially gullible minds want to know.

Yes...he played the string parts in pre-recorded form,as far as I can tell...

Steve

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 5:08 pm    

David Mitchell wrote:
That is not a live recording I can assure you. Studio all the way. Instruments and vocals. What I am hearing is real violins and the steel doubling some lines with the violins. I think he was just fanning the strings for gullible folks that might be convinced he's doing the string tremolo. They did that all the time back then. Listen to the Lynn Anderson hits like "How Can I Unlove You" and you will hear it even more clearly where Pete Drake is just doubling the same part with the string arrangement. When this video was made the Boss Tone was way off in the future because I bought one when it first came out. Still got it somewhere. I'm 63 and might have been 5 or 6 years old when this was filmed.

BTW...that is Lloyd Green on"How Can I Unlove You"and not Pete Drake...

The only Glen Sutton session Pete ever did was"Rose Garden"...what are the odds?

Don't ask me how I know...

Steve