The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peeling tape off of my Williams guitar finish?
Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:35 am    

I noticed a loose piece of what I thought was clear packing tape or similar on my Williams finish. It is below the C neck, although I now realize that the entire guitar must be wrapped in this.

SO, before I realized that, I pulled it loose, and a long strip came off, down the neck to the keyhead. I am guessing that this must be a protective layer of tape applied over the lacquer finish?

Who knew? I sure didn't. Embarassed

At this point, there is a super sticky residue left behind. Should I just clean it off with Goo Gone & call it a day? Should I pull it off the entire guitar?

It looks strange now, to have a shiny wood finish in that area & the rest of the guitar is dull, still covered in that tape finish...

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 4:14 am    

Contact Bill and Tim Rudolph at Williams Guitars. They can tell you what you're dealing with and give you the best advice. Both great guys and build a beautiful instrument.

Here's their website http://williamsguitarcompany.com/

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 7:09 am    

I don't think what you are dealing with was put there by the Rudolph boys.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 10:15 am    

I called the company.

This is not factory finish. But the adhesive is a mess on here after the tape is removed. And, it looks like it is even installed under the keyhead area, everywhere.

Bill told me to be cautious with any adhesive remover, so as not to damage the lacquer finish.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 10:26 am    

Naptha is usually very kind to finishes. Try it first on an inconspicuous place and stop at once if there's a problem. It's commonly available as "Ronsonol" at tobacco counters.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 10:46 am    

FWIW, Ronsonol, Zippo lighter fluids have not contained naphtha since 2008. It's another blend of petroleum distillates which may or may not be safe for finishes, I don't know.

The only naphtha I can find lately is the called VM & P [Varnish Makers and Painter's] naphtha and is a different composition from the old lighter fluid stuff.

White gas, like used in Coleman stoves etc., used to contain some naphtha too, I think, but I don't know what it is anymore.

You might want to do some research on the MSDS of these chemicals before using them on a lacquer finish. JMO.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 27 Apr 2017 8:11 am; edited 2 times in total

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:18 am    

I just looked at the Zippo brand lighter fluid SDS sheet and it show Naptha as 25%-50% of the ingredients. I believe that Zippo also manufacturers Ronson fluid also but I did not pull up that SDS form. They are available from the Zippo website in PDF form

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:42 am    

Do not use Goo Gone as it can react with a lacquer finish. What ever you use to remove this film, it would be better to tip the guitar back in the case and test a cleaner/solvent in a small area under the apron to see if it's OK.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:53 am    

I would start with 91% rubbing alcohol, that won't harm anything, only if you try drinking it! Whoa!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:38 pm    

Alcohol WILL harm lacquer

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 2:41 pm    

WD-40?

Chris Reesor

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 3:48 pm    

I don't know exactly what finish Williams guitars use, and indeed that may very well have changed over the years, but it is likely a catalyzed urethane like most of the big guitar makers use for gloss finished instruments. The latest ones use UV light for a near instant cure and very quick passage through the finish process.
That said, I have yet to have a problem with lighter fluid on any kind of lacquer finish in the course of repair work I've done over the last couple of decades.
As always, a test on a small inconspicuous area is still a good idea.
Good luck.

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 5:01 pm    

I buy Naptha by the gallon at the hardware store. I'd be REAL careful with Goo Gone or similar, and definitely test an inconspicuous area, and leave it for at least 20 min. for a test. I got caught in that one once with Goo Gone on plastic..seemed fine at first, but 10 minutes later, I was REAL sorry I did it! Smile

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 7:46 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
Alcohol WILL harm lacquer

Especially if spilled on by a drunk! Whoa!

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2017 5:32 pm     psg

a little unused cooking oil and rag.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 6:23 am     Don't do anything yet?

Don't do anything yet?
Call Bill and tell him what is up before you do damage that will be expensive.
I am not sure, but if Bill is using one the the new high tech finishing products that just may be what your picking at?
Bill and his son only do top quality work and are well known as innovators.
CALL BILL BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.... Whoa!
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 7:17 am    

I'm sure if somebody applied stripping tape on the Williams, it's one of the older models before Bill went to the hi tech finish.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 10:10 am    

I have not attempted to remove it yet. I am going to try cooking oil soon, as a previous poster mentioned. It seems the safest route. Bill told me that it is not a factory application from them.

It is thick too, and looks "pro" applied, as I believe the hardware was removed, applied to the entire body & then the keyhead, changer, etc. was reinstalled.

I really like the instrument, so I'm not extremely worried if the finish would get a bit damaged by my removal method of the residue...because if it would, I believe at that point I will take all of the hardware off & get it refinished completely by a local woodworking/refinishing guy.

An extra expense I had not anticipated, but I will do it if necessary. Another option is to just "play it like it is..." As road rash and wear is desirable too, I mean look at Willie's poor old battle scarred axe, right?

Mr. Green

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 11:01 am    

You could send the guitar back and have Bill refinish it like I did a few years back.

The finish still looks like new and he didn't charge much to do it.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 11:58 am    

Can you post any pictures. Just curious as to what you are looking at!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 2:36 am    

Some progress here.

I tried cooking oil, a bit of WD-40, not with much success. Maybe if I let it soak in, it may work. I am hesitant to let anything soak in for a long time, as I'm not sure if it will eat into the finish underneath. I've been quoted over a $1000 for a new finish by a couple of local luthiers, if this one isn't repairable, and if I go that far, I may as well just purchase a brand new guitar...

After looking at other musical forums, searching the net, a lot of folks recommend Naptha...I don't have any here, so I started working at the reside with something I do have and considered "safe", Simple Green.

What do you know, it is working!

Takes a bit of elbow grease, but it looks like I will eventually get it removed. The picture shows a bit of the gooey tape mess that I am working with. You can see it piled up near the keyhead. The finish is nice & clean, shiny underneath, once the sticky goo is removed.

Last edited by Tim Russell on 29 Apr 2017 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 5:54 am     Maybe not tape?

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I'm sure if somebody applied stripping tape on the Williams, it's one of the older models before Bill went to the hi tech finish.

My thought is it may be the finish and not tape at all?
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 7:42 am    

Have you considered carefully warming it with a hairdryer? It may soften the residue. Another thought is rubbing a small amount of mayonnaise. Of course, as others have suggested, try on an inconspicuous place first.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 8:05 am    

Andy,
No, I'm sure it is the adhesive from the stripping tape.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 10:28 am    

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Yes, it is adhesive goo.

At first I thought it was a real problem, because it felt to me like the adhesive interacted with the finish and softened it, but after I got down to work on removing it, I have discovered that the finish is hard underneath.

It is difficult to determine in the picture, but this is really more of a thick vinyl wrap that someone has applied to the guitar. It is clear. All of the hardware seems to have been removed, and this wrap has been laid down in long strips, the length of the instrument. When I pull it off, it comes off in one big strip, the length of the body. It is even on the silver metal part of the fretboard, from the last fret, to the pickups.

I am amazed that someone was able to apply it without getting wrinkles, although there are a couple of slight wrinkles in front of the 12 fret, on top of the body. It is a time consuming job, tedious, but not as bad as it could have been, that is, a ruined finish.

It will look pretty sharp once it is all removed and the original finish can shine through.