The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd Mountain Mambo + Hot Strings
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 6:09 am    

This was a new discovery of the day ...

Jerry Byrd recorded four songs at Cincinnati’s King Records studio on October 29, 1954 as part of The Country Cats (with Al Myers on guitar). "Mountain Mambo" / "Hot Strings" [King 78 & 45] "Sun Shadows" / "Hop Scotch" [King 45]

"Mountain Mambo" / "Hot Strings"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc1vAlJ54Vw

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 7:43 am    

That's an excellent example of early Jerry Byrd. The second tune sounds exactly like Chet Atkins, circa 1950's. Really nice stuff, clean picking by both players, with the steel and the guitar solos right out front. By the way, there was a big Mambo dance craze in the USA in the 1950s. So country pickers playing something Mambo-like in 1954 makes perfect sense!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 7:54 am    

I would say its definately Chet on side B...they did play and record together...I would love to hear those old radio programs they did together...but alas, I am sure they are gone forever. Thanks for posting this.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 8:19 am    

Some amazing playing...and those "oohs!" are as corny as all get out. Wink

I read the late Ralph Stanley's autobiography awhile back and he wrote quite a bit in the book about he and Carter when on the road and in Cincinnati would go to King and crank out some recordings.

Quite a diverse roster on that label, I believe that's where James Brown started.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 8:28 am    

Those vocal punctuations were popular back in the day. Remember Pennsylvania 6500 by Glenn Miller's band? What would any performance of Tequila be without that shout of "tequila" by the musicians?

Probably Byrd on his Bakelite Ric through a Volu-tone amp. Doesn't sound like Chet to me ... something in the attack. Like Sonny Stitt and Charlie Parker, sometimes musicians have similar ideas at the same time but the one who gets the record dates, airplay, write-ups etc. is the one who's most remembered years later as a style's originator.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 9:47 am    

Here is an earlier thread about the tune "Hot Strings"

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8980&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=48c1f93d0eff9434c66339f704805094
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 10:56 am    

Eckshilly, the steel guitar player was one Jerry Robin.

Read it directly from the label---he's one of the country's top men:

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 10:57 am    

Quote:
What would any performance of Tequila be without that shout of "tequila" by the musicians?

We still shout it out. I play that tune on guitar with both of my bands. People still recognize the song and enjoy dancing to it.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 11:52 am    

Andy Volk wrote:
Those vocal punctuations were popular back in the day.

Thank you Andy, I'm well aware of this.

But like the music pieces themselves, not all vocal punctuations or "shoutouts" are created equal.

Of course "Tequila!" wouldn't be the same w/o the shoutout. People still recognize the song Doug? Yeah - I'd say so - I think a lot of 20 year old kids even recognize it.

Would The Surfaris have been as successful with "Wipeout" if it didn't begin with: "Ahahahahaha...wipeout." We'll never know. But it sure makes for a great beginning to that number.

I just don't think in the case of "Mountain Mambo" that the "oohs" aged very well. Wink

And again, that doesn't detract from the brilliant musicianship.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 1:11 pm    

Quote:
I just don't think in the case of "Mountain Mambo" that the "oohs" aged very well

No argument from me! They're outright bad. Smile