The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 POD HD500X Review
David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 11:19 am    

I went direct on the road from 2004-2011 using the POD XT and XT Pro. It was a requirement of the gig, and it worked out just fine - but I can't say it felt inspiring to play through.

I recently decided to solve some production / crew / gig issues by trying to go direct again. Well, being too cheap to try the Kemper, or the Line 6 Helix, I decided to try the HD500X.

It's clearly better modeling and technology than the XT stuff I used. I don't know that it rivals the Kemper, but I can say that I actually like using it. This thing replaced 3 amps, 1 rack, and 1 pedalboard for me on the road, and it put my entire setup right beside me. It also makes my tones "fly date" ready. If you find yourself in a similar situation, it's $400-$500 street price.

I'm not selling any amps; there are just times when it helps to pick the right tool for the job.

Sincerely,

David Spires

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 1:33 pm    

Also has a ton of extra stuff you may,or may not need...good unit. BF

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 11:15 pm    

Thanks David. That's good to know.

I have a Steelaire and I use the direct out frequently.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 6:45 am    

David, so your using the Pod to go direct into PA and
are able to hear yourself as mixed through PA monitors correct?
Do you have any gain control at the Pod?
How many useful amp models ?
Instrument level or line level out?

The Pod may be the ticket for me as I'm not allowed to use an amp in a situation.

thanks

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 8:50 am    

Steven,

This is a pretty robust touring operation, so yes - XLR outs to the snake, then we all have custom molded in-ear monitors (and personalized mixes), so I can have exactly as much of me as I need.

I leave my Master volume on it at 100%, so it's always the same level for our monitor and FOH engineers.

How many useful amp models? Well, I guess that depends on what you want! The Fender amps are where the better clean sounds are, in my opinion. I'm using a hybrid I created with a Fender Twin Reverb "head" into a Mesa Boogie 4x12 speaker cabinet emulation. I've had real world experience with a Deluxe Reverb head I have, into my brother's Mesa 4x12... It inspired me to try this.

It's capable of either level, but I would recommend the line level out. It's not particularly "hot", but I don't think they have to gain it up much more than they would a mic on an amp.

I hope that helps,

David Spires

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:49 am    

Very cool, David. Do you have a preferred reverb in the POD?

By the way, I use and love the strings you endorse: the Jagwire "David Spires E9th Nickel" set. After trying some other premium brands over the years, I'm back to Jagwire.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:54 am    

sounds good. Your fender/boogie configuration sounds like the ticket to me too.
thanks!

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 4:35 pm    

David, what works best for you ergonomically as a steel player, you set this up on a stand by your side and operate buttons with your hand? I take it you've got pre-sets programed.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 3:54 am    

Steven Welborn wrote:
David, what works best for you ergonomically as a steel player, you set this up on a stand by your side and operate buttons with your hand? I take it you've got pre-sets programed.

Tommy Dodd sells a fixture that mounts to a mike stand/leg, also line 6 has a similar holder.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 5:58 am    

Bill, the hd500x looks too large and weighty to me to mount like that.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 7:13 am    

David or anyone, have you compared this to the Vox Tonelab. I've seen good reviews of it for steel and clean modeling tone. Got a tube too

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 11:50 am    

Can it be used in conjunction with the Telonics leg mounted MIDI controller? http://www.tpa-az.com/page28.htm

David Spires

Millersport, OH
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:40 am    

The HD500X is essentially pedalboard size, not a bean shape like the earlier PODs, so it won't mount on your steel. I use it as a pedalboard, so it sits on the floor on my right side. It's not worth making some kind of stand for it to me; I just lean over and change patches, or if I'm changing instruments, stand up and use my feet. Yes, I only use presets I've programmed.

Mike, I just don't know if that MIDI controller will work with it. Probably, if you know how to program it, but I'm not a MIDI whiz. It does have a MIDI in and out.

Reverb, well - it's just about what sounds best for what you are looking for... The Plate is nice, and the Hall is nice as well.

This unit is much better than the Vox Tonelab, because the Tonelab came out around 2004, I believe - old technology. The whole point of my post is really saying, "The generation of modeling amps that came out since about 2013 is a ton better than what came before it."

I hope those answers help!

David Spires

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 5:47 am    

I misunderstood, thinking Dave was asking about the "bean Shape" pod.

Bill