The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Raw material for rods?
Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:22 pm    

Does anyone know where I can buy the plain metal rods for pull and pedal rods, I can tap and bend them myself, looking to save some cash on raising and adding pull rods to a guitar I've got. I've got coupling nuts on the pedal rods but it's just not quite right and I'd like to make new ones. I've also got another guitar on the way that might need the same height adjustment and I know there's got to be a better way than spending hundreds of dollars on some metal rods.

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:44 pm    

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-0404350-4043-Aluminum-Welding/dp/B002M3UMH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493070165&sr=8-1
I think these might work for pull rods! any ideas for pedal rods?

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:51 pm    

My Sierra uses 1/8" rods.

I cut & threaded a bunch for adding several knees and shifting all of the pedals over a couple of notches. I used 1/8" welding rod, copper plated steel. The existing ones on my Sierra are steel, so I stuck with that. I don't know if aluminum may stretch or cause other issues. Maybe all of the new steels use aluminum, I don't know.

Maybe other steelers can weigh in on this.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 4:48 pm    

Pull rods are easy, pedal rods could be a problem. Most guitars use 5/32" stainless rods for the pedals. Usually the thread will be 10-32, and it will be a rolled thread, not one that was cut with a die. The simplest thing would be to buy the rods from the manufacturer. The easiest rods to use for pull rods is drill rod, most common sizes are 3/32" and 7/64". Drill rod is shiny won't rust and is easier to bend and thread than stainless. There are metal suppliers on line, Speedy Metals is one I have used, that sell it. When I bend rods, I heat the area of the bend with a propane torch, red hot, then just bend it with pliers. Wear gloves.

Last edited by Bill Moore on 25 Apr 2017 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Dan Kimpel

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 12:00 am    

Thanks for the tip on the pull rods. Maybe someone who has found a way to make pedal rods with accessible materials will chime in, or maybe I can find a better length threaded shaft for my extenders. Right now they are barely long enough and I'd like it to be threaded further than it is, as the pieces are barely hanging on. I should be able to figure that out, but ideally I'd like to know how to make them from a blank rod. My steel that I have right now is a custom made Mooney(Tom not Ralph) and I don't even know if the guy is still making stuff or what. I bought it used and raised it. Seems it might have been easier to get used to it a bit lower.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 4:07 am    

I made a typo in the last post, it should have been 3/32" and 7/64" for the pull rods. There are some, like MSA, that use 1/8" for pull rods. If you only need a couple, forum member Mike Yahl can supply them, probably the pedal rods too. That's probably more cost effective, especially if you would have to buy the dies, etc.

Michael Yahl

Troy, Texas!
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 4:57 am    

Dan,

I have all the rods that you may need. Check the website.
www.psgparts.com

Michael

PSG PARTS
http://www.psgparts.com/