The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C diatonic tuning interactive PDF/e-book just out
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:23 am    

Jerry Byrd's C Diatonic tuning is a fascinating but little understood tuning. Many people have started to explore it then walked away shaking their heads - I was one of 'em. However, once you really dig in you find it's very accessible and realize that it contains four of the same open strings as C6th but adds a 4th (F) and a Major 7 (B) string. C Diatonic has some cool factors like being able to play a I-VI-IV-V progression without slants at a single fret, play pedal-steel like ringing chromatic runs, etc. Anyway - full info is here.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=315774

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:50 am    

Excellent work, Andy! This is a much needed study of Jerry's C diatonic tuning. I too spent some time exploring the tuning, with it's beautiful chromatic runs and pedal steel-like sounds. It looks like you've done a great job putting this info together. Congrats!

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:52 am    

Hey Doug, thanks so much! I really could not do what I do without the support of folks like you, Mike Neer, Guy Cundell, b0b, Rick Aiello - and really, everyone on the forum from whom I learn so much.

Byrd said on a number of occasions things to the effect that the C Diatonic was too hard for the average player. This really confuses me because once you take a closer look, it's quite logical and related to the C6th tuning. Like every tuning, it has advantages and disadvantages but it brings some really cool stuff to the table. Here's the example I cited above .... playing a I, VI, IV, V7 progression at a single fret with no slants.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:12 am    

Yes, a great tuning, but maybe not as user friendly as C6 because there is less strumming across the strings and more selective picking of the strings. The player has to omit certain strings to play certain chords. It does sound awesome though!