The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Close
Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:16 am    

Close

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 26 Apr 2017 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 5:56 am    

Also listed in Milwaukee and Chicago area CL for at least a month. I received no response to my texts. Could be legit but...?

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 6:52 am     .

Close

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 26 Apr 2017 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

William Rasch

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:31 am    

Craigslist is over run with scams. Post something for sale and they show up like ants at a picnic

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:37 am    

of course its a scam: Everyone is asking 4000 or more for a push pull these days LOL

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:10 am     .

Close

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 26 Apr 2017 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 8:48 am     Craigslist

I'm gonna say this is a scam. Goes from an asking price to a "bid" no way to email vague answers to questions and listed in multiple states. Push that "prohibited" buttonand report it.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Alex Johnson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 9:11 am    

Never can be too careful when it comes to Craigslist.

Last edited by Alex Johnson on 24 Apr 2017 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 12:57 pm    

Dunno if it's a scam or not, but I would think that if someone were scamming, they would pick an item, like a car, that has a larger target audience. They seem to know what they have.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:19 pm     Craigslist

Ive done a lot of biz via Craigs with strangers, long distance, and never once was there a hiccup. My track record with 'trusted' forum members isnt as good frankly. This is probably legit, but dont act on my opinion. Now that I said it, Ill probably get a cheated.

I recommend the old fashioned phone call. After you talk for a few minutes you should be able to tell tell if they are real. Anything less that that or if its only text or email, I drop it.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 3:16 pm    

Like Keith said, it might be a good idea to speak with them on the phone and just get a feel of the situation. I've seen the guitar listed in several places and to me something looked funny about the images like maybe they were printed or something (not sure if it looked like that on all the listings). I used to not mind craigslist and actually bought a steel from someone twice and it was all fine but in recent times the site has gotten worse and when I try to sell something I get like 10 scammers wanting to send me a check.My advice is to just be very careful.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 4:39 pm    

those are not pictures of the actual guitar, someone took a picture of the picture... I wonder who has the actual guitar...

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 7:16 pm    

And for those that think it would be unusual for them to pick something like steel guitars over cars, boats etc... to use as a scam item...think again. Scammers are unpredictable and are likely to show up anywhere. They are actually known for picking odd or unusual items because they want to use your level of trust against you. I know that sounds scary but just always beware of who you are dealing with, especially online. I'm fairly certain after looking at it again that the image is an image of a printed copy. That's a mega red flag.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 2:01 am     .

Close

Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 26 Apr 2017 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 4:34 am    

That sounds much better. If it all looks legit and your friend can confirm its real then that's probably not a scam but the way it was listed in multiple cities and a fake looking image looked like a scam. I hope it turns out to be real.

Mark Shuda

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 7:27 am     Miss Darcy and the D10 Emmons

I talked to Miss Darcy several weeks ago as well as the owner of the guitar, her father.
These are nice salt of the earth Christian folks with a love of traditional country and western music.
Always good to be aware of scams. But I just thought I may be able to put a potential buyer at ease.
Make sure you are calling area code 608 (WI) and talk to Miss Darcy directly.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 6:01 am    

I list high end audio equipment in multiple cities on Craigslist all the time. Last year I sold my 1977 Trident TSM recording console for $35,000.00 to a band from Baton Rouge, Lousiana. I live in Tyler,Texas (East Texas) so I listed it in East, Texas, Dallas, Tx and Shreveport, La. and Nashville, Tn. It's an item that only a few people need and are willing to pay for and only makes good sense. The buyers made two 12 hour round trips here to look at it. The 3rd trip they paid for it in cash and took it home. We spent all day loadimg up that 9 ft. monster.
Pedal steels are kinda in the "few people need" class. With that said Craigslist has more scammers than legits. I state in the add "I do not respond to text messages. Call me on the phone if you are interested." It works like a charm and weeds out the scammers." Most scammers can't speak proper English either. They just say "I'm good with the price but I need you to help me with the shipping since I live somewhere else." I don't answer text messages on Craigslist. Waste of time.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 6:08 am     .

Right on the money David. I ended up talking to the seller at length and explained to her why this ad was fishy. The fact that she is willing to meet with the buyer and skyped me with the Emmons in front of her did ease my mind.

I have requested the string be closed.

Cheers

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2017 6:55 am    

Good deal! Glad it's working out for you Mike!