The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel players in London
Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:50 pm    

Hey,
travelling to London for a week beginning tomorrow. Any good country bands playing in the area?
Danny K

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 11:15 am    

The answer to this will be interesting.

James.

Danny Kuykendall

Fullerton, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 11:44 am    

no answer so far James. I will have to look when I get there.
Danny

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:37 pm    

Not for me to say if we're "good" but we're definitely "country". Playing an early gig out of town on Saturday and a late set in East London on Sunday/Monday AM. Come along and say hi!

www.eastlonesomedrifters.com

Very Happy

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:48 pm    

I made that comment because I think Country and Steel playing are virtually dead over here. This is the page from the UK Steel Guitar Forum that asks "Who is playing where" you can read all the other pages too and learn for yourself. There is nothing that I know of on TV or touring Bands.

http://www.thebritishsteeliessociety.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=2e558906cb3a94246579148cd139ee79

James.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 11:48 pm    

James, I would strongly disagree with you, the Country scene is not as healthy as it was but good bands can be found all over UK and Ireland if you look for them.Steel can also be found with some non country bands, I personally play with two different singer songwriter/bands doing this sort of stuff, not a lot, but that is because I am not in position to tour a lot. There are several steel groups who meet up regularly, London, the North East, Bristol, and Scotland (,Central Belt). In Scotland I know of at least Seven players regularly playing.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 2:24 am    

I know a lot of Players are around Malcom, but only one active Steel Guitarist bothered to answer the OPs question about his visit to London, I added the UK Forum link to show there is nothing happening in London, or on the Forum for that matter. The Steel meets are a great thing, but only for Steel Players.
I'm not blaming Steel Guitarists for this situation, we all know what the death of Social Clubs & Pubs have done to Live Music.
The promotional side has also disappeared, where can I find something like "Country Music People" magazine that told me what was happening & where, is there even an online place I can look, there is nothing posted on the UK Forum from the Bands you mention, I once read a comment from Ken Byng saying if it were not for the same 3 or 4 contributors posting the Forum would be dead too and called for more to take part. I did a Giggle search for "Country Music West Lothian" all it came up with was West Calder Folk Club.

James

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 2:56 am    

James, most players don't post events, probably a time thing, I know of several clubs In your particular area that have been around for years, think you can get info from Country Music and Dance magazine.Can't answer for the London steelies but believe there are several Country mags down in that area, perhaps the London Area guys have not seen post on this forum, not all are members so won't have seen post.Several players in that area like Matt Park play regularly, and there are numerous clubs and venues around in the South Eastern/London Area, played a few of them my self over the years, perhaps checking on google for Country music / Americana venues/Clubs might bring up some info.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 3:53 am    

James Kerr wrote:
I made that comment because I think Country and Steel playing are virtually dead over here.

In the last couple of weeks I've seen BJ Cole on Jools Holland's show and Chris Hillman playing with Billy Bragg (and another band) on the Folk awards on BBC2.

I can think of at least a dozen steel players in London alone who play regularly with bands - none of them are playing country standards on the country club circuit by the way (there are probably a few on that scene I'm not even aware of).

There are plenty of country bands around without steel.

I'd say it's far from virtually dead.

Having said that, I'm not aware of any of them playing in London in the next week or so Sad

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:57 am    

It's a shame Danny wasn't coming over last week, we just put on a gig with a US band on tour, Western Centuries. I have no hesitation in saying they're one of the best bands I've ever seen. Leo Grassl on steel. Heading up your way very soon Malcolm and James.

We're playing two shows in May with Pat Reedy from New Orleans/Nashville and Ags Connolly, who is making a name for himself as one of the UK's finest ever country singers. We have a monthly residency in East London and play around town and the south east almost every week. Including, as I said Jeff, two this weekend.

When you put all that time and effort into something it is a bit depressing to hear someone claiming country and steel playing "virtually dead". Especially when they live several hundred miles away. Not that James' comments are a million miles wide of the mark. We all know that things ain't what they used to be.

However let's not talk London and the UK down. There is definitely an audience for all kinds of country music here as well as all kinds of music with steel guitar, and acts out playing. It is not hard to find out about these things if you care to do some research.

The British Steelies forum has never been more active so I don't agree with the statement on that. As far as the gigs section goes it's not really a gauge for what's going on. I've advertised gigs there but the turnout from steel players is almost always nil. They're too busy gigging! Or complaining. So I generally don't bother.

Anyway, my little band is out playing classic honky tonk tunes and having a blast. You all are welcome along any time! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 11:45 am    

Oops. I know your post was only about 5 before mine - and I did read it - but I seem to have the memory retention of a goldfish these days.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both Jonathan's band and his steel playing and, if you go and introduce yourself will enjoy his company at the bar.