The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is an on line non pedal steel jam a possibility ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 10:47 am    

I was thinking it might be fun, altho I dont know how feasible it would be. My idea is to use one of those conference sites and on a certain time, people could dial in and watch others play tunes on the non-pedal...not a jam per se as I think the connection speed would prevent people from playing "in time" with one another and besides I think it would sound like a train wreck. But my thought was to have a round robin where each person could take a turn playing a song they like to play either solo or along with their rhythm track. Crazy idea ? or maybe its already being done. My thought was it might put faces with names for fellow forumites and establish connections in sharing arrangements, ideas, etc. Let me know your ideas and if it generates any interest,,,am I just a crazy old man with too much time on my hands !! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 11:13 am    

The Rhode Island steel guitar association does something like that. Not on line though. They set up in a circle of steel guitars and each player takes a turn playing whatever song they are doing. Sometimes they play to tracks and sometimes there is a rhythm guitarist and a bass player for backing. There is no audience there, just the players. I've never been there, just read about it and seen pictures of it.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 12:41 pm    

Yes, I think a lot of steel clubs do something similar at their meetings, but they tend to let everyone play the same song and you wind up hearing the same song for 15 to 20 minutes...my idea is to let each person play one song, the next person play a different song, etc. It might start with just two people connecting on the internet at a particular time and see what happens.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 1:17 pm    

Scottish,and English players have a Workshop every month at a venue handy for all, here is one of them for your pleasure. Players of all levels take part and learn from each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFcRnCWA8A

James.
Scotland

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:02 pm    

Well what I would like to see is just lap steelers sharing songs with one another...one song at a time...maybe 3 minute time limit per person. Maybe I am in left field, but if anyone is intersted in this concept, perhaps we could just do a skype thingy and compare notes, swap tabs, ideas, etc.

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:15 pm    

I wish you luck Larry, but the time difference between countries means you are talking to US players only. Apart from that I have never used Tabs in my life and know nothing of Skype, I think the description might be "Luddite"

James.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 2:31 pm    

I see it as a camaraderie type of thing as much as anything else..."meet people", kinda, with common interest. Not everyone gets to go to steel shows such as in Dallas and even if you do, you dont necessarily meet up with people you have had communication with here on the forum, unless you have made special arrangements to do so. I will keep this open, and if someone approaches me with an idea or an interest, fine, if not, then thats fine too...just a random thought on my part ! Smile Thanks.