The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Brad Sarno Appreciation Day
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 7:24 am    

I have owned a Sarno Black Box and Freeloader for a while. I've since become interested in Brad's preamps, so I took the opportunity to talk to him at this year's Dallas show. He patiently answered my questions, then subjected himself to my playing so I could hear the Octal V8 set up at his booth. I had a couple more questions after I returned home, so I emailed Brad, just to follow up, hoping he would take the time to answer. He did. Those answers led to more questions. He answered them, too.

I realized that if I went with a preamp separate from a combo amp, I would need a rack system. I posted a question or two on the forum, but also asked Brad, since I would be racking one of his preamps. He hung with me through the purchase of a used preamp from a forum member, and guided me through the setup process, even thought I didn't buy new from him.

Brad guided me from preamps, to amps and speakers, and into the world of rack systems. I'm not sure I'll forgive him for the last part, but I suppose it was my fault and I asked for it.

I can't over-value Brad's assistance. He has been ultimately patient, answering my questions in terms even I can understand. We all hear differently. That's why there are so many products out there that do the same basic things. You might never buy one of Brad's products, but I'll bet that if you do, I doubt you'll ever have to worry about service after the sale. Even more important, though, Brad's just a great guy.

Darrell Birtcher

Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 8:45 am    

I'll second this! Brad is a real asset to the steel community. Very knowledgeable, very easy to talk to, and he's always willing to help people.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 3:57 pm    

Super nice and very clever.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 4:41 am    

Thanks you, Brad for building such wonderful products for the steel guitar community. I'm the proud owner of a Black Box and it is a thing of beauty.

Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 5:41 am    

I totally agree with all the good things said about Brad. Great guy, very knowledgeable individual.

Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 2:32 pm    

Wow, thanks guys!

B

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 2:56 pm    

Brad is the man👍

robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 5:05 pm    

Steel Guitar Black Box: I never leave home without it.

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 1:31 am    

Brad is a sharp mind and a good guy to boot..

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 4:13 am    

I was impressed with Brad when he first walked into my guitar shop and sold me a new Black Box. Great products and a great man!

Patrick Rusert

Atlanta, GA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 5:19 am    

Here, here! From EQ, to pickups, listening off-axis, preamp tube selection...Brad is helping everyone sound better. Brilliant, yet still humble. And a very tasteful player himself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs-R44Hlh5k

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 6:05 am     Brad

Brad is a great person who does wonderful work!!!!!!!!!!

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 6:51 am    

I have several of Brad's products. Their build quality is outstanding and, almost needless to say, their performance and tone are, too.

On several occasions I've either emailed or PM'd Brad, the most recent concerning one of his first products, the Tonic preamp.. He has always been prompt in his replies and patient with me. Really, what more can one want?

Plus, if I recall, he plays an Emmons p/p............... Very Happy

Ford Cole

Texas
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 7:32 am    

As Eric says, I too have several of Brad's products and am super satisfied! That black box sure makes my recent "Discovery" sound just like the big boys! fc

Doug Jones

Oregon & Florida
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 4:09 pm    

Need more guys like Brad around to share the enthusiasm that goes in everyone's overall sound and Tone-Quest.

Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 4:31 pm     Appreciation day

I met Brad when he was still in the process of developing his first preamps. I have owned at least one of every model he produced from that time on and I can say that they all have been very dependable and his service is second to none. I especially like the fact that he is always experimenting and improving his products. Brad is always willing to help any way he can and often responds to technical posts on the forum. The forum is a terrific resource and Brad along with others, are major contributors to the advancement of our equipment amplification.

Below are some pictures of setups I put together utilizing Brads preamps from start to current production. They all sound different but terrific in their own way. It's an equipment line up that he can be "proud" of producing.

Tonic preamp mounted in a Furlong 12" powered cabinet. ( This is a great combination )

Rack mounted Classic preamp

Rack mounted V8

Rack mounted Revelation ( with octal tube option )

Dennis Anderson

Chicago, Illinois
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 12:05 pm    

I'll chime in... just recently picked up a Black Box tube buffer and the Earth Drive pedal. The EArth Drive is just right for my telecaster... full frequency and natural sounding. The Black Box is subtle, but significant. Warmer tone, better clarity, a more forward sound, and lower noise floor on the pedal board. The more I play it, the more I like it. Also hats off to another husband/wife partnership! Great work.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 12:22 pm    

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:48 am    

Same experience here. Spoke to Brad and eventually purchased a Black Box after A/B'ing a friends with and without (my wife could tell the difference). Then more discussions before I got a used Octal V8. Sent it to Brad for a tube and he updated it. Great guy and huge help to pros and amitures alike.