The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's the most used steel in Nashville
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 8:20 pm    

Steve Hinson played Emmons guitars on records by my friend Danni Leigh, Trace Adkins, Josh Turner, and others. I think Randle Currie played his MSA on Brad Paisley's Christmas album-I talked with Randle in 2012 after a Brad Paisley show and he said that on Brad's Christmas record, the paisley-colored MSA was heard on "Away In A Manger" and other songs. There was a Sho-Bud played on Gary Allan's "Smoke Rings In The Dark" record by Dan Dugmore, and Robby Turner played an Emmons or a Zum on Gary's "Alright Guy" record(this was before ShowPro came along. Robby was also on the session when Jamey Johnson recorded "In Color" because "Cowboy" Eddie Long wasn't feeling well and couldn't do the session. It was probably a ShowPro on the "In Color" session.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 1:44 am    

Eddie Dunlap, nice response above ,very detailed thanks !

On my most recent visits to Nville, CLUBS not sessions, it appeared that the new Sho Pro's had the most stage presence, a few old Sho Buds , a few Zums and of course a few Emmons as well. Then there is TW playing his Mullen when he gigs with Vince M. . C Suggs was of course playing his Fender, lets not leave Chris out.

Not sure I have seen a Franklin badge on a Steel ( at a club) unless of course it was Paul with the TJ's.

I do recall a recent thread (within a year or so ) where a few of the session cats did indeed chime in saying that when playing sessions the Franklins were the go to guitar, also requested by the producers.

This may explain why I don't get called to do any Nashville sessions, I don't own a Franklin ! Sad
Laughing

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 8:16 am    

I believe Eddy has done his history homework. Seems on the mark to me, just like his playing.
Since my return to Mullen guitars, I've used them exclusively on every recording session, TV show, Grand Ole Opry performance and live venue I've been hired for since 2014. I also used Mullen guitars exclusively from the late 1980s though mid 1990s. Even though alot has been omitted, All Music Guide and Artist Direct will somewhat reflect what recordings I used Mullen guitars on by those corresponding years.😊

Last edited by Tommy White on 18 Apr 2017 11:10 am; edited 4 times in total

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 8:29 am    

I know that the topic is about what brand is most often played... but when I first saw the title, I got a different picture...

I imagined whatever actual instrument has been most used! I pictured something like a very 'stock' Sho-Bud D10, 8+4 that was purchased by an old club in the mid-70's for use as a 'house steel'... and since has been played by about 500 different players. I imagine it originally having that dark red color, but now very faded... and with a big divet worn down on the back edge where the players' picking arms have rested.

That's my idea of what the "Most Used Steel In Nashville" would look like...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2017 1:08 pm    

Quote:
I pictured something like a very 'stock' Sho-Bud D10, 8+4 that was purchased by an old club in the mid-70's for use as a 'house steel'... and since has been played by about 500 different players.

Anyone know of a cub that ever purchased a house steel guitar? Just curious.

b.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 8:18 am    

I too doubted it when I typed the fictitious scenario... But you never know, there just may have been at least one place somewhere that didn't know much about music, and found a $400 used steel and set it up next to the drums.

I think the more laughable thing that I wrote was the idea of 500 steel players visiting the same venue... let alone sharing a guitar!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 8:43 am    

I bought a Sho~Bud years ago that had remained set up in a bar week after week.
Boy, did it stink! Whoa!

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2017 1:09 pm    

Bobby Boggs wrote:
Quote:
I pictured something like a very 'stock' Sho-Bud D10, 8+4 that was purchased by an old club in the mid-70's for use as a 'house steel'... and since has been played by about 500 different players.

Anyone know of a cub that ever purchased a house steel guitar? Just curious.

b.

In a 1995 visit to NVille, I wandered into The Turf, which was on Broadway just before 5th Avenue, and was owned by forumite (before there was a Forum) Frank Parish. There was Frank's D-10 Emmons onstage, and since my buddies Carco Clave and Pete Mitchell were in the house band, I just sauntered up and started playing. Frank was nowhere to be found, so I sat in for a set (using Pete's favorite line: "My name's Rigor Mortis... mind if I set in?" Laughing ).

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?