Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pic of Emmons with 57 Sho-Bud
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 2:31 am    

Jerry Jones wrote:
robert kramer wrote:
"Ask Buddy" section on Ernie Renn's excellent and informative BuddyEmmons.com website: http://www.buddyemmons.com/board_toc.htm

“The only Bigsby instrumental I recall recording on the E9th tuning was Flint Hill Special, and it didn't have split pedals. I first split the pedals on a Fender 1000 and then the Bigsby, but don't remember recording with them until Ernest Tubb's Half A Mind, which was in 1957 and the guitar was a Sho-Bud.”

In looking at old Bigsbys with plunger type changers (which I think Buddy's was), it would seem very difficult to split pedals in the modern sense. Each pedal could affect only one pair of B and G# strings. Of course, cables would be different.... was Buddy's Bigsby converted?

Buddy's Bigsby did not have the plunger changers but the regular bridge changer fingers. This is Jimmy Day playing Buddy's Bigsby and you can clearly see the changer and even the fingers moving when pressing the pedals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcTHj3pElgo
What I'm wondering is what the heck was that cut out on the end plate of that guitar???

Last edited by Jussi Huhtakangas on 5 Apr 2017 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 2:35 am    

robert kramer wrote:
bOb - You are correct. "The Walkin' The Floor" cut I posted is the later more often heard Charleton version. "The Next Voice You Hear" is the Emmons / Drake Permanent. The Emmons' version would be on the ET Bear Family Box Set "Yellow Rose of Texas"

The guitar Emmons' is playing on the 1961 Purina Grand Ole Opry is a later D-10 Sho-Bud. Great video!

Hope I'm not sounding like a self-ordained Know It All - I'm just into this stuff.

Actually that is a double nine string guitar, the same one which is on the ET Midnight Jamboree album cover.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 5:27 am    

I guess Jan Kurtis didn't get the memo about the blue hats. Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 2:37 am    

For as many times as I've held, looked at the cover, looked at pictures of the cover, etc... I have never noticed that Buddy shirt is sweat soaked. And he seems to be the only one...

www.BuddyEmmons.com

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 11:20 am    

"I think that the first one there (Walking The Floor) is a later session, as it's stereo. Might even be Buddy Charleton."

That recording from 1958 is Billy Byrd and Buddy Emmons. Buddy Charleton didn't start until 1962.

Bobby Burns

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 11:37 am    

Sounds like the older recording that was later remastered for pseudo stereo.