The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seat Re-upholstering ?'s
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 7:38 pm    

I have an old GFI seat and it feels like I'm sitting on the plywood. I can't justify $300 for a new seat. Anyone got reupholstering suggestions ?

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 8:20 pm    

So after 25 years, I replaced the cushion and re-upholstered my steel guitar pack-a-seat, just the seat part. I'll do the back next week. At first I was intimidated as I started removing screws, but I went to JoAnne fabrics, got some velvety fabric and a 3" piece of foam for a cushion. I lost my staple gun, but I used hot glue to hold the fabric. It came out great.
Now I have a new "cushion for pushin".

I was going to ask my cousin, who has an upholstery shop, to do it, but he had a terrible accident. He fell into one of his upholstery machines. Don't worry though, he's completely recovered.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 10:18 pm     The Old Sho-Bud Seat.

. A friend put leather on mine, and I put the back on.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 2:26 am    

JoAnn's is a good place to look. Get some of the Green foam for the seat (its heavier than the white). Seat material is up to you. I used automotive seat cloth, which is heavier, but you should be able to find something at JoAnn's that will work. I built some seats back in the late 80's/early 90's and what I used.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 8:34 pm     Seat Reholstering ?

There is many different types of foam out there on the market. If no foam shops local check with health suppliers. They have firm foam pads for wheel chairs. The real firm foam in my seat is grey in color. My seat was given to me as a gift. It was brown. With a white steel and Black Peavy amp. did not look good on stage. I removed all the brown material, It is now black with aluminum edge protectors all around. A comfortable seat is important, Happy Steelin.

Pat Moore

Virginia USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 6:33 pm     Seat Recovered

Hi Dustin,
I have a GFI seat that was the same way as yours. I had Dan from Steeler's Choice seats redo it. I just removed the top and sent it to him. It was very reasonable, professionally done, got it back within about 2 weeks, and it's great!
You can contact him at steelerschoice.com.
Best, Pat

Bruce Derr

Lee, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 4:59 pm    

Glenn, thanks for your anecdote about your cousin with the upholstery shop. I got my wife good with it. She actually gasped in shock before she heard the punchline.

An old joke but it still got some good laughs out of us.