Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:27 am    

Rich Gardner

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 12:58 pm    

Another perspective

Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 1:40 pm    

These Rickenbacker consoles are absolutely beautiful, and the scanned catalogues are fun to read over too. Great thread!
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 8:46 am    

I agree...this is so much fun ! I really have the wants for a Rickenbacker console,,,I have seen a lot of beautiful steels on here...thanks to all who have contributed !
My guitar teacher, Bill Pruitt, back in the 60s, was a Rickenbacker dealer and he sold a lot of 6 string electric guitars, but I dont recall ever seeing him have a Rickenbacker steel in the store, and he was a great steel player, but played Fenders.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 9:35 am    

In surfing the internet, I ran across this from several years ago...interesting I thought: Did anyone on the forum wind up with this one ?

Link to Heritage Auction website.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 7:36 pm    

I found this guitar years ago in a pawn shop - it plays great even though someone "refinished" it somewhere along the line. It's stamped with "DW14115" - anyone know the year? It's a double 8-string so not sure why it's not DW16.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 5:57 am    

Rick, that one looks interesting, any chance I could talk you into posting a picture of it from the front to give us the full view ? Thanks !

Rick Bernauer

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 7:13 am    

Here you go. Any information would be appreciated. It's the classic "player" - you can take it to any honky-tonk and not worry about it getting a scratch because it's already had far worse. Previous owner painted the body and sanded the neck. Must be a story there.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 8:27 am    

Rick
Thanks for posting that...if you look back on page one of Paul Mac Neliage's post of his steel, they look the same to me other than the finish...possibly yours was a blonde originally ? I love the tuner covers with the Rickenbacker lettering on them...very classy ! I would love to find one like that and woudnt mind it having "character"...I have a T8 stringmaster that has lots of character, can take it anywhere as long as my old body holds up ! haha Thanks again for posting, you have a real classic there IMHO !

Jim Watts

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 12:22 pm    

Aloha & Howdy - I am new to the forum and new to lap steel. Been taking lessons for a year and a half and in that time have become a huge fan of this forum. Very early on in my steel journey I ran across this Ric console locally and jumped right on it. It has been sitting in my living room ever since and gets played everyday. The amp came a little later from a local Craigslist ad, an M-9, both circa 1960 and make an awesome pair. I've picked up a couple other, more vintage guitars I enjoy playing but like I say, this Ric gets played everyday - until recently - I just got a Clinesmith. But that's for a different thread.
Mahalo y'all. Jim

Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 1:36 pm    

Jim: That is an extremely-pleasing combination, what finds! Shocked Now THAT combination is going on my bucket list of instruments.
Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 2:32 pm    

RICKENBACHER ELECTRO DOUBLE 8 (Postwar Before Name Change to RICKENBACKER)

No legs, plays on lap, probably is not considered a console!!!!

Bakelite necks, adjustable horseshoe magnet pickups, cast metal body with sheet metal back, RICKENBACHER on headstocks, in original case.

A6 tuning for steels

Robert Mac Neilage

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 2:02 am    

Rick
Regards the sanding of the neck, possibly it was sand blasted along with the body during the re paint job? Whoa!
An alternative suggestion is the neck was to silvery looking for the player, as I found my neck was hard on my eyes due to silver strings running horizontal with silver frets going vertical and fret markers crowding out the black on the fretboard.
I rectified this by adding coloured insulation tape to the fret markers and find it a lot more comfortable to play Very Happy the tape can be removed easily and does not damage the guitar in any way, below is a snap of my modification.

Regards the year, I posted " how old is this Rickenbacker" back in January of this year and the answer to my question was early fifties Rolling Eyes the serial number on mine is DW24148 and that raises a lot of questions
Did the factory make 10033 consoles between our two Question
Is DW241 a different model to DW141? Rolling Eyes
Is 41 a model number along with DW 1&2? Whoa!
It's hard enough playing the thing without trying to figure out the number system used in the factory 65 years ago!
Michael lee summed it up nicely by telling me to get on and play it and enjoy having a wonderful instrument, it would be nice to know the answer but it's in the same vein as the chicken and egg and how long is a bit of string questions, your guess is as good as mine!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Mad Neutral
Regards RMN

Robert Padwick

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 6:44 pm    

Here's mine! Sorry, it's not the greatest photo.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 2:30 pm    

Here's part of one:

[b]Invalid link removed.[/b]

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2019 9:41 pm    

Mikiya Matsuda wrote:
I picked up this Console 758 a couple weeks ago. 25" scale. Todd Clinesmith zapped the horseshoes and now the guitar sounds glorious.

Some cool stuff in this thread.

Mikiya, I just heard you playing this guitar with Sam Rocha in a clip from a couple years back and it does sound glorious! I did a double take, I did not know that Rick made these in Birdseye! It's beautiful. I would love to get one exactly like this eventually (or even a D8 one). Must be a rare bird.

Also, I am a huge fan of your playing. The Jazz, Hawaiian stuff is all so good. Great stuff!

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2019 11:47 am    

I recently acquired this 50s Rickenbacker 208. Sounds fab and is surprisingly light weight. I find I prefer it to my previous DW-16 because the controls don't get in the way of playing.

Charles Stange

San Francisco, California
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2019 2:52 pm    

56/57 DW-12