The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Progressive Rock
Scott Thomas

Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 7:57 pm    

If anyone has a mind to, check out the documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage streaming on Netflix. La Villa Strangiato from the album Hemispheres clocks in at over 9 minutes and they were determined to get it in one take. They eventually had to break it up into parts to get it recorded. Neal Peart says it took more time to do that one song than the whole Fly By Night album. They all agreed it would be their last one like it, and it was. After that they really did go in a new, more accessible direction.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 8:01 pm    

Cool thanks Scott I'll check that out! I'm proud of these guys from Ontario Canada

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2017 5:00 am    

I saw Aqualung in the round at a motel in Phoenix early '70s.
This Dickensian character dressed in rags with a flute came out and sat in a chair (I figured he was Jethro).
He weaved an ethereal melody with his stick as other band members quietly took the stage in the dark, and as the lights flashed on
he LEAPED what appeared to be ten feet in the air and landed on the downbeat of the title cut. He never stopped moving after that.

Very high energy. The band played soccer against the local roadies on the motel grounds well into the morning.

I met Ian Anderson in a hotel bar many years later. I think I was there so they could get into the bar.
I asked him what he'd been doing as if we were old friends.
"Running guns," he told me. Like Joachim said, it made me feel uneasy, sitting with an arms dealer.
I think it was supposed to. His road manager was trying to lose me as I was with this cute journalist. Called me a dogbody.
Hadn't ever heard that before. I love the English. Big kidders. There would be no progressive rock without them.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 5:19 am    

Hey Charlie, wasn't that rather a big theater instead of a motel in Phoenix? I rememember a revolving stage where I've seen Jerry Riopelle perform in 1980 on new year's eve. Funny story anyway.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 7:09 am    

Surprisingly, it was a small room. Early show, no opening act. 1971 probably; maybe making dates between big concerts.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 8:17 am    

Thanks Charlie.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2017 9:05 am    

They were very high energy. The flute playing was a blast, loud and clear (the small club) and he was a virtuoso.

For the big stage, Yes (Tormato) was the absolute height in transcendence. In the round, turning on a massive cable feed,
each station with its own technicians in bucket seats below stage level, house speakers in the round above the stage,
nothing in the way of the illusion of musicians connected in space and light, reaching ever-higher decibel levels but so clean....

Jon Anderson seemed to rise to the closing strains of steel guitar... oh, he did, on that riser... positively transcendent.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 2:11 pm    

Although I am a pedal steeler,chiken-pickin Tele guy, and banjo picker, my all time favorite band,since 1973, and what is most on my stereo, is Emerson,Lake & Palmer. No band in the history of music was better, or more awesome, especially in concert (saw them 17 times).

Now that 2 of them are gone, the closest thing I have seen in concert was Trans-Siberian orchestra.

Scott Baker

Upland, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 8:09 pm    

Rich Upright wrote:
Although I am a pedal steeler,chiken-pickin Tele guy, and banjo picker, my all time favorite band,since 1973, and what is most on my stereo, is Emerson,Lake & Palmer. No band in the history of music was better, or more awesome, especially in concert (saw them 17 times).

Now that 2 of them are gone, the closest thing I have seen in concert was Trans-Siberian orchestra.

Tarkus!

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 6:31 am     Jethro Tull band

I saw The Jethro Tull band in three different decades and was never freaked out by Ian Anderson as I found myself mesmerized by the music. I hope he and the band are still playing. Would love to see the again. Stevet

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2017 9:24 pm    

I played a gig with Magma in France a while back.