The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show or Tell Us About Your Favorite Lap Steel or NP Console
Rob Anderlik

Chicago, IL
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 1:59 pm    

I only have 2 lap steels - 1951 Oahu Diana and 1940 Rickenbacher B6.

The pickup in the Ricky is definitely more powerful of the two guitars, but the Diana is no slouch either. I prefer the playability of the Diana over the Ricky, but depending on what amp I am playing through the Ricky sounds pretty amazing.

I guess it's like asking a parent which one of his kids he loves the most. I love them both for the unique creatures they are!

Mark Addeo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 4:54 pm    

Another stellar Clinesmith.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2017 7:35 am    

Paul,
I agree that the P13 pickup, also commonly referred to as the Metal Covered Pickup with Rectangular Casing (MC pu), has a great tone. Gibson developed and used this pickup on their EH-100, EH-125, and EH-150 steels in the early 1940s. I have a Gibson EH-100 (v.4b) and a Gibson EH-150 (v.5) and am very pleased with both. Since my first steel was a 1949 Silvertone with the MC pu, I have also collected various 1940s steels with the MC pu: Harmony Sunburst, various Silvertones (Sunburst, Fancy Black, Natural). 1940s Harmony and Silvertone steels are still available at reasonable prices for vintage steels.
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 9:46 am    

Thanks to everyone for the great photos and comments. Members certainly have many beautiful favorites, and interesting stories.

C. E. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels

Loren Tilley

Maui, Hawaii
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2017 3:06 pm    

Here is mine:
[/img]

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 8:09 am    

Larry Carlson wrote:
That, sir, is a very beautiful guitar......Whoa!

Larry, thank you for the compliment on my Gibson EH-185. I also have a Rickenbacher Silver Hawaiian (1 knob): c.1937. I must admit that the tone of the Silver Hawaiian is, in my opinion, the best of all Rickenbacher sheet metal body guitars.

C. E. Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 23 Apr 2017 11:22 am     Re: How many variants were there of the EH185

Michael Hogan wrote:
Hi CE, I have three different variants of the EH185.

First with a ES300 diagonal pickup.

Then one with a Charlie Christian with a tapered metal plate thin at the base and tapering progressively thicker up the neck.

The last with a CC pickup and a metal plate that is one thickness.

Good to hear from you again Michael. I continue to enjoy your Resonator and Lap Steel Guitars site. Your EH-185 is a beautiful steel.

As you know, I share your like for the EH-185 steels and have a GIBSON EH-185 (v.1a) 6 STRING C.C. pu: c. 1939, from the first batch. EH-185 models with variable Hyblum plate thickness (5/16" thick under the fret-board and 1/4" thick in the controls area) were from the first batch made in 1939. Variable thickness plate models were not made after the Fall of 1939. The first batch also had a grey-colored non-slip material that follows the outline of the back and neck, rather than being diamond-shaped as on models after Fall of 1939.

Your Subject: How many variants were there of the EH-185?
EH-185 models were made in 6, 7, 8, 10 strings. Pickups were Charlie Christian and ES-300. Finishes were Sunburst and some Natural.
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 2:21 pm    

I have just finished going through all posts again with great pleasure. Your favorites are beautiful steels and we can all enjoy looking at these again and again in the future. This will be a historical record that our grandchildren and others may GOOGLE one day and learn about our favorite lap steel, even it we fail to tell them. Photos are great and comments very interesting. We are a very diverse group. Thanks for the enjoyment.

C. E. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels

Last edited by C. E. Jackson on 30 Apr 2017 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 2:50 pm    

I would have to say that my Melbert runs a close second to my favorite...it depends on the day and my mood I guess, but to me, its hard to beat the Melbert, especially for the money !

Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Robert Padwick

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 11:50 am    

This is my favourite steel and also the one I play the most. It's a Tremblay that I ordered based on an example that I saw at an HSGA Convention 4 or so years ago. It's made from Mahogany, and built to be small enough to throw in a suitcase for travel. I have reverted back to the round volume and tone knobs that the guitar came with originally, as opposed to the chicken head style in the photo. Also, due to glare, I gave the fret board a thin coat of the privacy spray that you would use on a bathroom window, since the material was shiny acrylic and reflections were a little distracting at times.

Sounds great and is super portable!

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 16 May 2017 6:20 pm     Love my Bakelites

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 May 2017 10:58 am    

My 2 favorites. Both are 2017 Groners!

Last edited by Bill Groner on 21 Jun 2017 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2017 6:26 pm    

At the moment, probably play my old 6 string Guyatone most. Poor mans Stringmaster.

Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2017 7:15 pm    

Duesenberg Pomona 6. I've got three other lap steels -- two of 'em 'vintage' -- but if I had to flee a forest fire with one, this is it. Superb finish, great pickups, 25 1/2" scale, built in capo, two benders, and solid mahogany -- sustains...forever.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 7:54 am     My only one for now

Was my only one until last week, for now until my Clinesmith is done, Can't wait.
After I made this post I got a Fender D-8 Duel Trapezoid. 22.5" scale in trade that is very nice, but I don't have a photo of that yet.

I bought this "Sho Bud" from a fellow on the forum for a reasonable price...

Okay I admit it, I put the Sho Bud decal and the pin up girls on it just for fun.
In fact I don't remember the actual brand now but it says "Little Roy Wiggens" on the keyhead.
The person I bought it from was planning to get another pickup for it, but I think the lipstick pickup on it now sounds just fine.
Have A6th on it now because I like the E on top and anything I learn on this will transfer to my E9th PSG's with pedals down; E A C# E F# A C# E
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 Jul 2017 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 8:02 am     Dreams coming true

This is like the one I just got, but mine has the other kind of pickup, PA Bigsby style. Whoa! Shocked

This is like the one on order, but still a dream until next spring; Rolling Eyes Very Happy

We all need a dream! "I have a dream, that a little Aluminum Steel will live and play together with a big Bird Eye Steel with too many necks" And it will be a sweet dream. Laughing Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 10 Jul 2017 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 8:15 am    

Beautiful Duesenburg there Peter.

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2017 11:08 am     Georgeboards s8

Bo Parker

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2017 1:11 pm     Walnut Georgeboards S8 console

Another Georgeboards fan Smile

Levi Gemmell

New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2017 10:51 pm    

Commodore steel guitar made by Bunny Milne, here in New Zealand. This is the third of the four models mentioned, but I have seen different versions of this model still. Various colours were available; red and silver at least, but I have even heard of electric blue, with a matching amplifier. Some versions of the six I have seen, have a "C" medallion worked into the pickguard. Following was written by Mac McKenzie here: https://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/007742.html

Quote:
Commodore steel guitars were manufactured between 1945 and 1966 by Bunny Milne, trading as Milton Products and distributed NZ. wide by Western Enterprises.The guitar in question, celluloid covered caste aluminium body, was produced between 1956 and 1963 and was the third design change. Bunny was a sheetmetal worker by trade and used this skill to enhance his guitars. He made his own dies and did his own metal pressings, the string anchor pick up cover plate was caste by a foundry and Bunny did all his pre-plating metal polishing.
The first steel guitars were six string with our native rimu timber body, black polish, chrome on copper fittings, vertical controls and inlaid frets. Later, anodised aluminium fretboards were used on this and subsequent models. The second model, an eight string guitar, again rimu body, black polish and chrome fittings had the controls mounted horizontally and roller operated, the rollers only just protruding above the body surface. It was this model that Bill Wolfgramm used on all his recordings and radio work, using a Commodore 3 valve, 8" Rola speaker amplifier for clarity and tone. Cosmetic differences allowed the same guitar to be sold as "Royal" or "Milton" for specific shop outlets and this policy continued. The 3rd. model is the one being enquired about, the 4th., was clear laquered mahogany, still the anodised fretboard, two pick ups with a mix of either or both and a much more sedate appearance.

The advent of rock'n roll gave Bunny the incentive to design and manufacture a solid body rhythm guitar, he took up factory space, employed staff and commenced production. Severe import restrictions made musical instruments almost a prohibited import, but it was double edged, guitar parts were also difficult. The business expanded to bass guitars, accessories and amplifiers in spite of difficulties. There was continual improvement in body and pick up dsign to a semi-acoustic which was endorsed by the top players and as one put it, " Boy! This thing is alive." This instrument was Bunny's pride and joy but before he could recover his considerable outlay on heated moulds and formers, a change of government lifted all import restrictions and a flood of cheap Japanese imports killed manufacturing in New Zealand. Bunny retired, once again to a basement workshop, made a few more semis and maintained a repair service for the shops.

Sho~Bud LDG SD-10
1966 Fender Super Reverb

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2017 4:56 pm     My new favorite, Todd Clinesmith JM Style

My new favorite....
Todd Clinesmith JM Style that I picked up on Saturday.
Words are not enough to describe the wonderful tone.
Nuff said! Very Happy Wink Very Happy
EDIT: Not enough can be said, Forgot to mention that the perfect string spacing is the best I've ever used, at least for me, 11/32nd (8.5mm) at the nut and 13/32nd (10.5mm) at the bridge. So a tad wider that any other I've played. Wish my Mullen had this kind of spacing too.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2017 1:16 pm    

Rick, I recently watched Alan Akaka playing a 4 STRING FRYING PAN LAP STEEL made by you and was
impressed by the sound. What tuning did he use in this video?

Alan Akaka Playing 4 String Frying Pan

C. E. Smile

Rick Aiello wrote:

A6 tuning for steels

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2017 9:20 am    

This one may end up being my favorite. If I can ever get the wiring figured out so the controls work the way they're supposed to, I plan to pull it apart, patch up the body, and do a total refin. I dubbed it the "Ultramaster."

ps -- I set it up for A6 as you suggested, C.E. Love it!

Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 8:41 am    

Most lap steels have a wider string spacing than the pedal steels do. I wanted a non-pedal guitar that had the same spacing as my pedal steel, with the same scale length and similar pickups, and more than eight strings. So here's what I came up with. It's all I hope it would be.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2017 10:06 am    

C. E. Jackson wrote:
Rick, I recently watched Alan Akaka playing a 4 STRING FRYING PAN LAP STEEL made by you and was
impressed by the sound. What tuning did he use in this video?

Alan Akaka Playing 4 String Frying Pan

C. E. Smile

He was using E major ... lo to hi ... E G# B E ... for most of it

Then he went to C#M ... lo to hi ... E G# C# E ... at the end.

Here it is, fresh out of the sand ... Luigi dug it out Wink