The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Journey
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 8:40 am    

My guess is in the new album Arnel will start finding his own voice.
Starting from a Steve Perry place of course.

Maybe not transitioning out on the 1st new album,
but he will naturally have nothing to copy from now on,
and just do the tribute band thing for the old songs.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 9:29 am    

Chris,
I just meant Arnel sounds like Steve. It's a compliment when someone can imulate someone. MO

Walmart has the new CD . Journey was always one of my favorite bands & it will be cool to hear what Arnel brings to the band. They need a steelplayer! Smile MO

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 10:35 am    

In the CBS piece, the band made it clear that Steve is not to be forgotten, that Arnel is honoring Steve's contribution to Journey.

Here is the CBS Sunday Morning piece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkMBCHOtKm8

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 11:29 am    

Thanks Larry,
What a great story and honor!
I've gotta buy the new CD! "Don't Stop Believing"!

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 11:58 am    

"...numerous other middling seventies sonic clones."

Granted, if you are not familiar with those bands or that era I can see how they might all sound the same.

Just like:
a) The 90's death/kill/thrash/speed metal bands.
b) The 70's speed/bang/crash punk bands.
c) The post 1992 Strat/Fender amp/Tube Screamer/12 bar everything SRV clone wannabes.
d) The any era/guitar/bass/drums/steel/fiddle/I-IV-V country bands.
e) The 90's acoustic guitar strumming/hippie chick living in her station wagon/coffee house gig genre.
f) The, well, you get my drift.

As for Tom Scholz, the guy made history musically and technically. I'd sign up for that. I'm still looking everywhere I go for a Rockman 1/2 rack Stereo Chorus or Stereo Chorus/Delay. The best doubling effect you'll likely ever hear.

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 12:40 pm    

WOW!

Leslie Ehrlich

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 3:27 pm    

ajm wrote:
I'm still looking everywhere I go for a Rockman 1/2 rack Stereo Chorus or Stereo Chorus/Delay. The best doubling effect you'll likely ever hear.

Chorus and doubling effect aside, I like the intense midrange of the Boston amp tone. Tom Scholz got those heavy mids on the first and second albums by using a Marshall half stack, a power soak (power attenuator) between the amp head and the cabinet, a DiMarzio Super Distortion humbucker in his Les Paul, and a wah-wah pedal set in mid position to boost the mids.

Notice that I did not mention Boston among the corporate rock bands. The music sounds a bit like corporate rock in that it's quite polished and the band does have the right ingredients (guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, wailing lead singer and harmonies), but that's about where it ends.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Jun 2008 5:56 pm    

I just happened to see the CBS piece last Sunday morning and was quite surprised. He seems like he will fit right in, as well as being a pretty good guy. If they have good songs then maybe they'll make a go of it again.

As a side note, in Guitar Player magazine a few years ago, Neal Schon wrote a very flattering commentary about Robert Randolph.

Nothing against either player as they are both better and more successful than I could ever hope to be, but:
a) I always wondered what Neal really knows about steel guitar, or
b) How GP picked a 70's hard rocker out of all of the people roaming the face of the planet to comment on a pedal steel player when they almost NEVER have an article on the instrument in their magazine.

GP lost a few credibility points with me that day. Then they had a volume pedal shootout a while back and totally blew it again.

Anyway, sorry if I hijacked the topic.

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 6:54 am    

ICYMI, Arnel got to meet his hero, Steve Perry this week-end, as Journey was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 12:35 pm    

that is very cool to see.

as an aside, what is it about Journey, Boston, Foreigner, and Styx (those 4 bands in particular) that I just detest... regardless of musicianship or any other redeeming qualities they may have?

I guess it's just "different strokes for different folks" as another poster said, but nothing makes me turn the dial faster than those bands and a few others that get so much airplay in Classic Rock formats. Steve Miller and Bob Seger as well. for some reason you hear way more of those bands than bonafide legends like The Beatles or Stones. why is that?

and I know they're capable musicians and songwriters but Bon Jovi has always sucked regardless of genre.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2017 8:11 am    

I think at that time their fans called "Country" schmaltzy, and it was vice versa with us as Folk and Country-Rock guys.