The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons 3x1
Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 7:21 pm    

I normally play an Emmons Legrande D10 8x5 and a Gibson Consolette D8 for most my gigs. Did several years in various classic country bands, rockabilly swing etc. Had to quit the classic country band for various reasons but still use the big Legrande for right situation, church gig, big show, recording. However I picked up a little GS10 student model Emmons in a tele trade and find it just a blast to drag around for Americana band sit ins an off the cuff jams and such. I am rooted more in the D8 nonpedal, actuall get torn between the two for years. The little Emmons is kind of liberating in its limited simplicity. I use a lot of non pedal tricks but still have the famous sound. I know a more sophisticated player would be left cold and probably not dig it but I kind of like the low rent, gutter approach sometimes. I do plan on shipping it off to have 2 more levers put on one day, but for now am just plowing through with Americana band as is. This little beast is the ugliest damn thing I have ever seen, but it has push/pull sound that is very authentic. Yes, I don't have the E raise and 2nd string licks. Perhaps I am going backwards, but it is fun just digging into bare bones steel. My 8 string E13 can't do what this thing does. Of course the Legrande would be obvious choice for serious situation, but for original Americana and the odd Neil Young cover, plus overdriven lap steel sound this thing is super easy to drag around. Just wish it wasn't so ugly!

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:59 am    

I went from E9 3 x 4 back to 6 string lap, and found I play better. Sometimes, simple is better.

My tuning:
1 2 3 4 5 6
E B G# E C# B

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 3:14 am    

I've found just the opposite. As I seek and learn new phrases I want to enjoy playing them as often as I can.

So a fully configured Steel comes to each gig.

While on the gig, I often find that many of the new things I have learned can fit into many different elements of different songs.

I am also playing a lot more C6th these days, so I sold my S10 and now only have D10's to lug around which allows me to execute what I practice and play at home.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 11:54 am    

I can get that. I like to take my D10 for church/classic country gig, always try to find creative way to incorporate C6 and certain levers, etc. it's just sometimes I just don't want to deal with all of it, and just go to a pedal/nonpedal approach. Esp for Americana types. That said, I am gonna upgrade to 3x3 eventually. Using slants and pulls are kinda fun too. Just mixing it up.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 11:38 pm    

Damn, those little Emmons student guitars sound good, don't they?

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 1:34 am    

3+1 was the state of the art at one time (mid 60s?) and a lot of great music was played with just the one lever lowering 2 & 8.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 8:54 am    

Buddy Charleton is a great example of using a set up as being discussed. He got more with less than most people do today with a "loaded out rig" IMO. Give his stuff a listen too on some of the old ET TV shows on YouTube.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 5:12 pm    

Yes! I have seen those. There was a thread a while back about this. Been meaning to look for it. Charleton! And yes, the lil Emmons is a push pull killer in disguise.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 8:01 pm    

Steven Paris wrote:
Damn, those little Emmons student guitars sound good, don't they?
Mine does. Plus, you don't need a crane to pick it up and carry it.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 2:21 am    

john buffington wrote:
Buddy Charleton is a great example of using a set up as being discussed. He got more with less than most people do today with a "loaded out rig" IMO. Give his stuff a listen too on some of the old ET TV shows on YouTube.

Could you point to any specific clips? All the clips I can find feature him playing a D10 with plenty of pedals and levers.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 6:59 am    

My experience with Emmons student models is that they sound great. Most, I think came with a single knee, although they can be found 2 or 3 knee levers.

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2017 10:33 am    

I had a little Black Rock Emmons,with 3x4 best student steel ever made IMHO .