The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender Deluxe VM
Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2017 9:37 pm    

I found this post on another forum; several posters indicated a similar problem with their Fender Deluxe VMs:

"I just picked up a Fender Deluxe VM. It's a great amp but mine had a problem which I thought I would share just in case you run into one of these. In my case, the overdrive channel occasionally became very noisy and the gain would drop out. It would still make a lot of noise even with the volume controls turned down completely. Tapping on the unit would make the noise change. Something was intermittent. The clean channel made no noise. It worked perfectly. I decided to isolate the circuit causing the noise as much as I could. I discovered that, if I plugged into the "Return" jack, the noise went away. So, I had the noise problem isolated to a small area of the circuit -- somewhere between the overdrive volume control and the "Return" jack. I opened the unit and probed around. I found an IC U4 sensitive to pressure. Sure enough, this IC was in the circuit that I had already narrowed down. A close inspection revealed bad solder joints on the IC. It appears that there wasn't even a pad for one of the pins. I'm not sure if that was supposed to be like that or not. You could see that the solder on the adjacent pin had not flowed properly. I reflowed the solder joints and now the amp works perfectly."