The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Direct Boxes
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 7:20 am    

Jack Stoner: In a previous post I listed two other DI boxes that are made to go between the amp and speaker.

Palmer PDI-09
Hughes and Kettner Red Box (various versions)

I have used a Palmer PDI-09 for several years and it works well. I don't know if they are available any longer. They were getting hard to find when I found mine.

For those that are interested, especially you tube power amp users, be aware that these amp/speaker type DI's DO NOT replace/eliminate a speaker and/or load.
Using the box without a speaker/load will kill your tube power amp.
Your next stop will be Google, searching for an amp repair shop.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 10:52 am    

Sorry, I missed those.

Since you have to have the speaker(s)connected with those, they wouldn't work well for direct recording if the object was not to have the speaker sound while recording. If I want the speaker sound, I'll mike the speaker.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 11:57 am    

Jack: I use a home made power attenuator that also functions as a load box for my tube amp. That enables me to record silently.

My "chain" is: Amp output >> Palmer >> Load box/attenuator.
The Palmer has an XLR connector on it to go to a preamp/board/whatever.

I think it works well for recording and being able to turn up the amp, while at the same time being quiet enough so that people in the next room can't even hear you.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:39 am    

Can you solder? The DIY RE kits are just great, well made and sound great.
The DI box kits come with choice of transformers and are easy to build. When I built these, I quit using much more expensive DI's in the studio. https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/studio-essentials/products/ferrite-di

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 11:17 am    

I'd go with anything by Radial. They are built like the proverbial brick "out" house.
(Has anyone ever located the biblical passage that refers to?)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 11:31 am    

You're looking in the wrong book. Rolling Eyes

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 2:31 pm    

Hey guys, I go straight from my guitar to my amp, and the only thing that improves my playing, is another player.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 2:23 am    

Jim, we are not talking about going to an amp. Direct boxes are used in recording studios and at some situations to direct feed to a P.A.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2017 8:21 am    

Jack, I was just making a joke. hahaha
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2017 9:47 am    

I am not a fan of the DI box. I rather record live. just stick a mic in front of my amp because I like to hear what I am playing. I don't like the idea of playing dry in the studio, to have it sent off for a mix down where someone else puts in the effects for you The first recording session I did back in 96 was live. The engineer hooked my amp up to the mixing board. Mo DI box.