The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Closed
Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 6:31 pm    

Closed
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 12 May 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:06 am     Damir

Damir is a great guy as a friend and seller. I bought a Peavey 112 from him about 4 yrs. ago and I still have it and it was as good as he said it was if not better.

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:30 am     Great

Hi Joe,
That is a great little amp.
I've have two of them. One here in Oregon and the other in Saigon. Got the first one 11 years ago and it's never been any problem. Also light enough to get in a suitcase and take on a plane.
Not a Milkman or Webb, but for the price you can't go wrong.

I play in Saigon most of the time and many of the clubs have a decent PA system.
Just plug into that to save dragging my amp around. Getting too old I guess!

I do have to use a small step down transformer because they have 220 current there and as you know they are made for 110. Those little transformers are only about $10.00 over there and small enough to fit inside the amp easy.
Best wishes,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 11:07 am     Nv 112

You got it about the 112. I had 2 and sold one to a great guy, played for Johnny Bush at the time. He had it 3 weeks and it was stolen out of a band trailer and I guess he never saw it again. Too bad. Take care in your travels and enjoy that Promat....jr

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 5:56 pm    

I'm pretty sure I owned that guitar at one point. It was really nice--much nicer than I could really justify with my pedal steel skills. It's a wonderful guitar, and Damir is a great guy to deal with (I bought and sold it through Damir). Mr. Papic was a joy to email with as well--he really valued knowing the folks who were playing his guitars. The personal touch that you rarely see these days. I've had other push-pulls, and the Promat was up there with the best that I've had. Enjoy!

Dave

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 8:42 pm    

David, you had a twin to this one, your Promat had BL710 if I remember correctly, this one was made for me, and I ordered it with Jerry Wallace TT pickups, Andy is the second owner of this guitar with me being the original owner, this is the guitar I brought back to US with me last summer... Andy, I still have to send you those connectors, PM me your address again, I am glad you are enjoying your Promat, I will eventually get anther one, but it will have to be a used one, since there is no more new ones made... cheers

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 10:06 pm    

Andy, that is a beautiful guitar. Damir does seem to find a lot of good ones. I hope you get tons of joy playing it.

Damir, obviously you can't keep them all. But that one must have been especially tough to part with.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 10:10 pm    

Dan Robinson wrote:
Damir, obviously you can't keep them all. But that one must have been especially tough to part with.

yes

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 3:38 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
David, you had a twin to this one, your Promat had BL710 if I remember correctly, this one was made for me, and I ordered it with Jerry Wallace TT pickups, Andy is the second owner of this guitar with me being the original owner, this is the guitar I brought back to US with me last summer... Andy, I still have to send you those connectors, PM me your address again, I am glad you are enjoying your Promat, I will eventually get anther one, but it will have to be a used one, since there is no more new ones made... cheers

You're right--it did have 710s on it. A fine guitar at any rate--way better than my playing deserves! Hope all is well.

Dave

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 4:35 am    

David, I just can't justify high dollar guitar to be sitting under my bed collecting dust... if I was playing at least once a week it wouldn't be a problem, but I'm not... everything is fine on this end my friend, thank you, hope that Wildwood is doing some picking lol ... that was my dream banjo since I was a kid, but same as a steel guitars, I just didn't use it...

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:08 am     David Ball

Lynn Stafford said he had that Promat D-10 and sold it last year.
Almost the same as the one I got but the front apron is reversed and does not have the gold tuners.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 12 May 2017 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:08 am     Accident

Accident same page went up twice?

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 5 Apr 2017 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:17 am     Indeed it is and he does!

Dan Robinson wrote:
Andy, that is a beautiful guitar. Damir does seem to find a lot of good ones. I hope you get tons of joy playing it.

I'm still having a big learning curve with this.
It needs some adjustments and I want to change the function of some of the knee levers. I've done a lot of work on AP guitars but never on PP.

On the one hand it is a simple mechanical system, but with so many parts doing so many things it takes a lot of studying to sort out how it all works together.
Certainly more difficult than an AP to make changes on.

Don't want to risk making a mess of things so when Lynn Stafford has the time I will leave it to him. Whoa! Rolling Eyes Shocked Very Happy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 12 May 2017 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:27 am     PP v AP

I have seen lots of nice looking Emmons guitars over the years. I've often liked the lacquer sunburst finished ones as some are really stunning.
But that said, I never wanted a PP guitar until I saw this Promat.

As it happened, I'd already sent a deposit on a Custom Mullen SD-10 G2 with 4&5 still being made for me. It will be a very special guitar unlike any other, But this Promat was love at first sight.
The Mullen should be finished and get here within the next two weeks.

I plan to keep the Promat as a stay at home guitar since Mr. Papic is no longer with us to make more instruments and I would not want to see any damage to this if I took it to gigs. I'll use the Mullen for gigging and keep the Promat at home.

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 12 May 2017 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 1:19 pm    

Nice, Andy. Not many of those, for sure. Stevet

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:04 pm    

Andy, I don't know how many Promats were made in that particular combination... there is only about 6-7 Promats in US , out of 26 built all together ...and there wont be any more... I believe only one SE10 is in US as well ... very rare, and great sounding and playing guitars...

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 9:13 pm     Okay

Okay, Thanks Damir.
Would be useful to start a group of Promat owners to exchange info and so on...
Keep track of them down through the years like they do with famous violins.
Also I think you said you already sent the rod connectors, but if you need the address I can send that too?
Best wishes,
Andy

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 7:40 pm    

Andy, that would be a very small group lol ... I mailed your extentions couple days ago, you should have them any day now...

Andy DePaule

Post  Posted 6 Apr 2017 8:26 pm     Parts arrived

Hi Damir,
Those parts arrived about noon and I got them on the guitar already.
Also figured out that the stop screws for the two knee levers that go left were the screws that had come off and loose in the case, kind of weird?
Put them in their right place with some locking nuts and now the knee levers are all working as they should.
With all that the Promat sits at a perfect height for me and is very easy to sit at, but it does not return in tune very well just yet.
I also enjoy sitting on the couch just looking at it.
I'll send those risers back to you tomorrow.
Thanks for all.
Andy

Last edited by Andy DePaule on 12 May 2017 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 4:06 am    

great, everything worked out good then... steel guitars have a lots if small parts that may get displaced in shipping, I've seen it a countless times before, enjoy it my friend...