The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stolen? 47 Rickenbacher - thanks USPS!
Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 3:52 pm    

Sadly I have to report, that this 47 Rick, bought from a forum member & shipped by USPS GXG "service"? is missing - presumed stolen in transit.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=311748

Would everyone please keep their eyes open for signs of it thanks.

According to the tracking, it was picked up & accepted by USPS at 2.29pm March 6th in Caseville MI & departed Saginaw MI the same day at 8.21pm. Vanished after that!

The whole USPS system is designed only for US based users & I'm totally stymied from this distance to do very much without the sellers help, who has health issues I believe.
So! for anyone (especially international recipients) to either contact or make claims on the system, it's downright impossible! Perhaps that's their cunning plan?
If a sender is either unavailable, unwilling, unable or uncaring, then recipients can do very little but complain.

In desperation, I have snail mailed a complaint & full refund claim, to the Office of the Consumer Advocate in Washington DC. (won't hold my breath)

Latest info I have from a trace request started, was that as of March 28th. "your item has not been recovered, & every effort is being made to locate your item" - To me, that means they have NO idea where it is! i.e. STOLEN

At this point I wondering why I bothered with insurance & the GXG Global Express Guaranteed
Global = we lose your item worldwide!
Express = we lose it fast!
Guaranteed = to lose your package!

If only I was talented enough to do a Dave Carroll
(just replace United Airlines with USPS - some big help you are!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 4:12 pm    

and that is one of the reasons why I don't ship outside US any longer... USPS is the only affordable option, UPS, FedEX, DHL etc... are all 2 or 3 times more expensive... but there is many issues with USPS, and their rules... and all is good and fine as long as all is good and fine, but when something happens then it turns out it's not all of it all that good and fine ... I wish you all the best in finding your 47 Rick ... I am out of international business ... unless buyer has a friend in US who is willing to ship it to him overseas, then i will ship it to the friend in US, but me shipping it directly, no way Hose ...

memphislim

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 4:28 pm    

I don't want to give you false hope but all may not be lost. I ship overseas daily and once the package leaves the US it is usually no longer trackable. This does not mean it's lost or stolen. The tracking systems between countries usually don't talk to each other well. I see this all the time. Eventually it will end up in customs or delivered with little or no notice, 4-6 weeks after shipping.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 4:37 pm    

True. In fact, USPS told me that they cannot track a shipment once it leaves the country. Sometimes even in country, they seem to go long periods of time with absolutely no information concerning movement, then suddenly arrives at the destination with no explanation.

Let's hope it eventually shows up.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2017 5:35 pm    

I bought my wife a one of a kind Christmas gift last year. Not replaceable. I live in a mobile home park. They use 4 "lockers" numbered 1 - 4, but not in sequence. I had only moved in 2 weeks prior and was not aware that they went 3,4,1,2. They leave the key in your mailbox. I took the key for the #1 locker and tried it in the #4 locker that I thought was #1. I put the key back in my box with a note saying it didn't work. They must have taken it back out after that. They show no record and it was not at the post office. The totally incompetent and stupid mail carrier must have put the key in someone elses mailbox. They probably have it.

I got ahold of the post office and they opened an investigation. They refused my claim saying the showed it as delivered. So, someone else in the park got it or that bitch stole it. I won't let any online store use USPS. Even if it's free shipping, I'll pay to have it sent FedEx or UPS. At least I stand some chance of receiving my order.

Our regular mail carrier is so bad that the managers of the park have asked to have her removed and someone else assigned. Even with our petition, they wouldn't do it. They don't care about anyone. There had been so many complaints from tenants. I gave up trying to get paid for my claim. It was only $35. Rolling Eyes

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 2:35 pm     Still waiting :(

"Their silence is deafening"

Thanks for your comments & best wishes guys! Cool

I have bought quite a few guitars over the years & always used the USPS GXG insured option without a hint of a problem - till now, that is.
It has been my experience that they have been trackable right to my door, & in fact, Fedex do the actual work in the middle, & US Post & Australia Post do the end bits. GXG parcels are bar coded & scanned along the way.
This time is different, with the scanning coming to a sudden halt after it left Saginaw! Zip since, & I get a bad feeling about this one. I hope you are all correct though & I do lay hands on it (eventually)
Damir - I understand why you work that way for sure!
As far as an affordable option goes - I paid US$380.95 (inc/ins) for them to lose my guitar!
Memphislim & Jerry - GXG is bar coded & scanned door to door (if it's not lost/stolen in the middle?)
Richard - I certainly understand your anger & frustration with that situation. Sounds like it was delivered & the problem was at that end, with either a carrier or neighbour ending up with it?
An honest person would "return to sender" if left in the wrong locker, or make some attempt to get it to the rightful owner!

I live in hope (still)

Oh Well

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 3:18 pm    

I shipped guitars all over the world using USPS, but I figured, I better stop while I'm still ahead...

John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 3:47 am    

I'm sad to hear about this. Hopefully it'll just "show up" ultimately at the destination.
JB

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 4:06 am    

just immagine if that was $5000 ZUM or something like that...

Charles Tilley

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 7:46 am     Shipping

I shipped some strings to South Africa and they never got to Nic DuToit. No telling where they went.

The next strings I sent Nic was shipped by
steelguitarnetwork.net by Hank Ruf and they got there just fine.

Maybe I don't have the touch. Seems that a company shipping label is protected more. Just don't know.
Hope your guitar finally arrives to you.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:04 am    

Had a similar thing with a Laptop not all that long ago. Shipped from here in the US to overseas. All tracking vanished as soon as it left the US shore. I had to refund the buyer $400 , USPS said it was not lost or stolen, but probably delayed , they even went so far as to tell me it was NOT their responsibility but rather the overseas agent.

WHAT !!!!

They kept telling me to give it more time.

Well after about 6 months of regular hassles with USPS, one day... it came back ! It just arrived. And they wanted me to pay the $60 return postage ! Of course I refused to pay. It came back unmolested, perfect condition, unopened..

Another USPS agent told me that the package probably sat in some overseas customs office being totally ignored. The one day someone tripped over it and decided to sent it back. The good news was , after I had already refunded the buyers $400 several months earlier, thank god they didn't deliver it ! I resold it to a USA buyer.

The Rick is probably not stolen, it's probably sitting somewhere unattended and will probably sit until someone decides to actually touch the package., after they trip over it of course.

No more international for me.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 8:06 am    

You don't have to go over seas to have a problem with the USPS.
I sent something to Texas but the USPS dropped it off at a different address than what was on the package.
For what reason, I'll never know.
I did tracking on the package, and yes, it was delivered but not where it was sposed to go. I filed a claim and it was denied, I filed an appeal and that was denied, I filed another appeal and finally got some money. It took about 6 months.
What a hassle!

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:45 am     May still get there

Hi Allen,
In my business we often ship to Australia from Saigon, Viet Nam.
We use the Viet Nam post office registered airmail with tracking.
I think Australia is one of the countries that does not bother to scan in packages when they arrive in country.
Most of our shipping down under gets to the customers quickly, 7 to 12 days, but a few go astray for a while and then turn up late.
We never find out what the delays are about but I suspects customs.
That Ricky was born the same year as me.
Good luck,
Andy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Former Member

Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 11:49 am    

Real sorry this happened Allen!
If there's anything I can do to help, send me an email.
Hopefully the sender had a legible address for himself and you.
So much for insurance and guarantees!!

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 1:57 pm     Still waiting!

Thanks again everybody! Hope ya'll are correct & it's in a dark corner somewhere?
But I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't end up in Austria Oh Well
According to Australia Post, it hasn't entered this country! I'm tipping it didn't get out of Michigan.
If I could make a report to the US police, I would, but this & claims on the system, need to be made by the sender! He is MIA. (health issues?)
If dealing with USPS is SO difficult for US citizens, then imagine what it's like for foreigners!
I'm thinking of contacting the US embassy here to see if they can offer any help?
USPS are gonna learn that you don't screw with an Aussie - especially one who is a Scorpio! (either your best friend, OR your worst enemy!) You decide! Mad

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 2:16 pm     USPS Tracking

If he really did ship it he should have the receipt from the post office.
That should have the tracking number to confirm that in fact the guitar (Or some package) was shipped.
No matter his health, He is healthy enough to put the item up for sale on line on the forum? So, he should be able to do it all on line with the tracking number on his computer.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2017 2:47 pm    

I have one take-away from this - ALWAYS pay for expensive items with PayPal or via an escrow agent. It is usually the shipper's responsibility to file a claim, and guess what? If they find it destroyed or conclude it's lost, guess who gets the insurance money (if it was insured): yep - the shipper! After all, he paid for the insurance. So the moral is DO NOT send funds that you can not get returned if the item fails to be delivered. This is not entirely fool-proof (reports of senders shipping bricks instead of the item, for example - there is a confirmed delivery. Best to open you package in the presence of delivery personnel - maybe have it shipped "hold for pick-up" to facilitate this?

Having said all of this, I have bought and sold regularly through the forum and never had an issue with items not being delivered. I can't say the same for some vendors who promote their business here on the forum.

I hope the seller in this instance will follow up and get the funds back to the buyer if indeed this item is lost and gone.

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 2:14 pm     Reports lodged!

Reports lodged April 19th

Federal Trade Commission complaint

FBI report for mail theft

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2017 4:46 pm    

Douglas Schuch wrote:
I have one take-away from this - ALWAYS pay for expensive items with PayPal or via an escrow agent. It is usually the shipper's responsibility to file a claim, and guess what? If they find it destroyed or conclude it's lost, guess who gets the insurance money (if it was insured): yep - the shipper! After all, he paid for the insurance. So the moral is DO NOT send funds that you can not get returned if the item fails to be delivered. This is not entirely fool-proof (reports of senders shipping bricks instead of the item, for example - there is a confirmed delivery. Best to open you package in the presence of delivery personnel - maybe have it shipped "hold for pick-up" to facilitate this?

Having said all of this, I have bought and sold regularly through the forum and never had an issue with items not being delivered. I can't say the same for some vendors who promote their business here on the forum.

I hope the seller in this instance will follow up and get the funds back to the buyer if indeed this item is lost and gone.

and what if insurance is capped at let say 1500 for that country? and you buy $5000 ZUM ? .. you think that I as a shipper and seller will give you out of my pocket $3500 ? you are kidding right... also almost every European buyer wanted me to write the lower price he paid for a guitar in custom forms because of VAT (import tax) last buyer wanted me to put $1200 on $2700 guitar, you cant insure guitar on $2700 if you say its worth only $1200 .... what if that guitar get stollen or damaged? and buyer gets his $1200 ? who is responsible for the rest of $1500 ? not me I can tell you that....aaand to avoid all this bs, I don't ship outside of US any longer ...hope you have someone to build you a pedal steel over there wherever you live...good luck with that

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 1:51 pm     Karma will get you!

Report with full details sent by snail mail to the Investigation Division City of Saginaw Police Department.

Anybody still think it will arrive? Rolling Eyes

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2017 2:28 pm    

I think you'll get it.

Leroy Golden

Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2017 10:24 am    

The USPS can't even deliver a certified letter without losing it, just a couple weeks ago I tried to send a cashiers check for a steel "certified mail" and they lost it, and try to find someone at the post office to track it down...what a joke!!! I had to end up cancelling the check and giving up on the deal, hopefully I get my money back, the bank is making me wait 90 days before they will credit my account Mad

Allen Hutchison

Kilcoy, Qld, Australia
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 7:14 pm     Goodish news!

Hi all - some goodish news just to hand!

Have word this morning from the seller/sender that the Rick has been returned by Fedex to his address for some unknown reason?
As I had suspected, Mike has been ill & in hospital for some considerable time & knew nothing of this saga!
Just why it has been returned, where it has been for almost 2 months & who is responsible for the on shipping now, is yet to be determined???
We both agree that neither of us should have to lose out, & IMO, USPS & or their agents are liable, & should fulfill their contract to deliver forthwith!
Good news is that ATM it is in safe hands & hopefully in one piece?
I wouldn't mind betting as I said in an earlier post, that it probably HAS been to Austria - 'cause it certainly didn't make it to Australia!
Rolling Eyes

Dick Chapple Sr

Hardin Montana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 7:33 pm     Ricky

Hi Allen:
Well that's some positive news about the Ricky.
Hopefully the shipping charges can be dealt with a positive ending too!
Dick

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 4:36 am    

Thank God we've progressed to a time when more and more important things can be done online, and are no longer dependent on the abysmal "Postal Service". I'm also thankful that the bulk of the mail relegated to USPS delivery these days is junk mail, which USPS richly deserves.

We recently tried to simply have our mail forwarded to another address, and specified a period of 60 days - we didn't know how long we'd need to be away. I planned to amend the end-date once we knew when we'd be returning. Procedures for doing all this are set forth on the official USPS web site, and look to be quick and easy.

Instead, after a week or so, the local PO handling our mail, in their infinite wisdom and totally on their own volition, decided to just start returning all our mail to the senders. What a glaring example of gross malfeasance!

USPS may be cheaper, as others here have noted, but this is one more case where you get what you pay for. Whenever I have other options, it's a no-brainer - I use them, whatever the cost. Life's too short to tolerate all the USPS nonsense, and some things are just too important to risk relying on such an unreliable and capricious goat-rope as USPS.