The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What length bar for an 8-string?
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:12 am    

I've got the Jerry Byrd steel guitar course for six string where he describes using a 2 3/4" X 3/4" bar for best results. That's the size bar I've grown comfortable with for 6-string. Can anyone tell me if the 2 3/4" length is what Jerry used or recommended for 8-string as well? As I'm gradually moving from playing 6-string to playing some 8-string, I assumed I should also increase the bar length to 3". Now I'm not so sure. I can still just barely strum all eight strings at once with the 2 3/4" bar if I need to, up to about the 15th fret on my D8 Stringmaster. It definitely takes me a hair longer to set up a reverse slant with the longer bar. The most compelling reason I can see for using the 3" bar is the ability to intonate a two-fret forward slant below the 5th fret. Of course, that would be true of a 6-string as well. I do kind of like the feel of the extra weight of the longer bar and while the laws of physics may say I'm sacrificing some speed with the extra weight, it doesn't seem to be as much of an issue as the reverse slants. My guitars at this time are all short scale, 22.5" or 23".

I know that I ultimately have to come up with what's comfortable for me but I'm curious as to whether Jerry's advice extended to 8-strings or long scale necks, for that matter. Also curious about what some of you use and why.

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 9:27 am    

I wouldn't think it matters much to have a longer bar for an 8 string guitar. I can't think of any songs in Jerry's book where he strums all 8 strings at once. I know his book is written out mostly for 6 string but it does graduate to 8 string tablature and I don't remember any mention of using a longer bar. Since "proper" bar technique dictates that you keep the nose of the bar on the string you are playing, bar length isn't as important as being comfortable with the bar you are using.

While it's true that a longer bar will be heavier, losing any speed should be temporary. The tone of a heavier bar, in my opinion is far superior.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 10:47 am    

When I went to a bullet bar on 8 string dobro, I tried a variety of lengths, diameters and weights. I like 2 3/4" because it's handier for reverse slants. I've never felt it was too short for 8 stings. 3/4" diameter was a bit hard from me to grip so I had Jim Burden make me some 13/16" diameter bars, center bored to approximate the weight of the 3/4." That's my every day gigging bar.

Like most people here, I have a bunch of bars of various sizes, weights and materials and enjoy playing with them from time to time. I too feel heavier is better, but it does get tiring after a long night. My tone and sustain champ is an old 3" x 7/8" Dunlop (no longer made.) But I wouldn't want to spend the night with it.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 7:52 am    

I don't know the size of the bar but I use a longer bar when playing 8 string than when playing 6 string.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 8:32 am    

I have always used a Dunlop 918 (I just found the box!) and that is under 3". It was the only tone bar that my local music shop stocked when I started playing and I've moved from 6 string to 8 string without any side affects.

I just tried and I am able to strum all strings on my Rickenbacker and Framus 8 strings.

\ paul

Bayern Hawaiians: https://www.youtube.com/@diebayernhawaiians3062
Other stuff: https://www.youtube.com/@paulseager3796/videos

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 10:09 am    

Basic Truths: It is erroneous to refer to a tone bar as an 8-string bar, or a 10-string bar, or a 12-string bar. A tone bar should be selected to fit the size of your hand and in a weight that is right for your style of playing. Any other stated reason is typically a marketing ploy.

Extracted from here:
http://www.songwriter.com/bradshaw/tone_bars.php

No truer words have been spoken.

I use a big bar. Long fingers.
1" x 3 3/4 12.4 Oz.

I love it. Bigger bars = more pleasure. LOL. She'll (my lap steel) never complain about the size.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Tod Johnson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 3:12 pm    

I have a bar question too (that doesn't really need a separate thread)-

I hear players mention a better sustain with different bars. I was wondering if the increase in sustain comes from the weight of the bar, the material that it's made from or some other feature that doesn't come to mind.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2017 6:22 pm    

Tod, to me it seems heavier and harder bars give better tone. Try a scrap piece of PVC pipe or a hardwood dowel. Neither works well unless you're looking for a special effect.

It's all a matter of personal preference as Stephan pointed out. If I spent a night jumping up and down the neck with that big old pedal steel bar he uses, my arm would be a mess the next morning. It is sometimes anyway, with a bar half that weight. And I know I couldn't reverse slant that thing. But I'll bet his tone and sustain are awesome.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 12:50 am    

Material - Steel - can be polished - scratches removed - affordable

Love it.

Size - based on finger LENGTH

Weight - 12.4 Oz. is hardly weight - I finally realised picking it up is not as important as I thought. If you can do 1 pushup you can handle the bar I use

Tone and sustain - its far superior than all of my other lighter bars mainly due to the weight. I have tons of different brands and have found what works for me. Dang I must say great things about this bar. Ben's bar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Made-Stainless-Steel-Tone-Bar-for-Pedal-Steel-lap-steel-Guitar-etc/172565822248

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 7:30 am    

A 12.4 oz bar!!! There are 16 oz in a pound.
Are you sure about that? Whoa!

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 7:54 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
A 12.4 oz bar!!! There are 16 oz in a pound.
Are you sure about that? Whoa!

Yep it feels great. No complaints.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 9:11 am    

I have a Jim Dunlop Stainless Steel "Sitar" Bar 1 x 3 3/4 11.5 oz. (Series 922) which I purchased approx. 15 yrs. ago from a Texas steel guitar dealer, including the original shipping tube. It does a good job regarding tone. I looked on the Jim Dunlop site today and they don't show the "Sitar" bar (Series 922) anymore.

The Jim Dunlop site does list a Stainless Steel Tonebar 1 x 3 3/4 11.5 oz. for $37.95 (Series 921).

I also purchased a 7/8 x 4 1/2 bar from Arthur's Music, Indianapolis. This one is too large for me!!!!

Different size bars for different size hands????
A6 tuning for steels

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 10:31 am    

Sorry, I failed to indicate what size bars I like best for an 8 string steel. Generally, I use a 7/8 x 3 1/4, or 1 x 3 1/4 for 8 string steels, and the same size also for 6, 7, and 10 string steels. Seems to work fine for me. The older I get, I seem to like the larger diameter bars best. Smile Smile Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 12:19 pm    

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to try a larger (7/8") diameter bar and see how it feels. Anything longer than 3" begins to feel unwieldy in my hand. Too bad Dunlop doesn't still make the 7/8" X 3" bar that L. Sandberg mentioned. I'm sure I'll find something.

Getting back to part of my original question: Can anyone tell me if Jerry Byrd used a 2 3/4" long bar for all of his playing?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2017 12:36 pm    

Bill,
I pulled up the BJS site and they make a 3/4" x 2 7/8" bar with a tapered, somewhat pointed nose that was favored by Jerry Byrd.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 6:50 am    

Bill,

Contact Jim Burden at bulletbars.com He will make you a 3" x 7/8" bar. $40 shipped. I have 5 or 6 of his bars and have been very pleased. And his turn around time has been very fast.

Bogue

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 9:59 am    

3" x 7/8" is what I use for my 8 string steels. The powder coated bars that are sold on the forum are nice and I'm looking forward to receiving my new Ezzee~slide Bar from forumite Basil Henriques.

Wayne D. Clark

Montello Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 10:57 am    

I have a 3.25 Ceramic Bar that I got through Bob Allen of Melbert Steel guitars a number of years ago that I use with my 8 string. If I could find another one like it I would buy it. It is a Gem to use. smooooth. I don't let it out of my sight. It is either in my pocket or locked up in the Guitar case.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 1:51 pm    

Thanks again for all the info. I've got a couple of Michael Hillman's powder coated bars and really like them. I've sent him an email. If I decide I like the 7/8" diameter, I'm sure I'll want a stainless bar as well.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 6:53 am    

I'm not a big fan of stainless bars.
I much prefer nickel bars.
You get a mellower tone and less string noise from a nickel bar. Very Happy

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 2:59 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I'm not a big fan of stainless bars.
I much prefer nickel bars.
You get a mellower tone and less string noise from a nickel bar. Very Happy

I'm finding that now as I'm playing my Steel bar more its sounding more mellow.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 7:30 am    

Nickel bar on nickel strings, it doesn't get any better than that! Very Happy

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 11:49 am    

I used to believe the hype but now having all types of bars steel is where it's at. Only bar I haven't tried now is Basil's material wise.