The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Should I Look For in a Rack Case?
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 5:35 pm    

I'm taking the plunge into a rack system and need a case. I'll probably start with a 4U. What features should I look for? What should I beware of?

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 2:37 am    

Some cases have the rack rails only on the front, some have them front and back. Some have a full door on the back (the ones with the rails in the back), some only have an access panel.

That's about it. Everything else you will install in it.

One tip, if the back door is fairly deep, you can make some feet to attach to the rear rails so when it is standing on the floor in use, there is air flowing into the back, and makes it easy to run cable out the rear instead of drilling holes in the case.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Lee Bartram

Sparta, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 3:06 am    

I have this Gator 4 space one pre wired with speaker/output jacks and power receptical $75.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 5:39 am    

Don't forget cooling. Equipment in a closed rack will "bake". The heat will eventually cause failures.

Dave Plewa

The Jersey Shore, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 7:44 am    

Jim, I have one for sale with a power conditioner if your interested..

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=310235

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 4:33 am    

I just saw these replies. Y'all might have answered a couple of additional questions.

I will likely use 2U for my preamp. I will cable from it to a powered cabinet. The other 2 spaces will be used for any combination of the ever controversial power conditioner, a rack drawer for my Steel Dream, or ventilation.

On the subject of cooling, do I need to mount a fan or will an empty rack space while playing be sufficient if there is an unused space? Will feet atached to the back rails like Scott mentioned do the trick? Any other tips?

I've been wondering about cable routing when the rack is being used in the standing position. Most of the cases I've seen in photos don't look like they have cable access other that through the covers after they are removed. Are my options to find a case with a side access panel or drill holes where needed once I figure out where I'll mount the equipment? Scott's comment about feet attached to the back rails is interesting here, too.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2017 10:18 am    

Jim -

I suggest drilling holes for power cord jack and jacks for speaker cables in side of the case. That way, when you arrive at gig, just lift off the top of the case, plug in power and speaker cables, and play.

One other thing I suggest is determine how tall you want the rack to be at your side - in order to make adjustments easy.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2017 7:10 pm    

Having a little door on the lower back of the rack case is a real benefit when it comes to quick setup and break down. Easy stowage of cables and chords.

Also a panel on the back end with a female power plug, and speaker outlets etc pre-wired is a huge benefit - just plug in and your ready to go in 2 or 3 minutes.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.