The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Learning to play PS
Jerry Recktenwald

Louisville KY
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 5:37 pm    

I have been learning to play the PSG sense Christmas this past year.Thanks to friend Jerry Overstreet for his help and instructions. But I am having a problem with rowing my ankle to use the A & B pedal. Old arthritis! I can row it when sitting out away from the steel out from the knee levers but not with my knees between the levers. Does any7 one else have this problem and what do you do to make it work?
The right hand. Ok keep my arm to my side [ not out away from my body] put my heal of my hand on the pickup make my 3 fingers like I'm holding a ball [small] row my hand down [picking fingers] When I do this the heal of my hand wants to come off the strings.To keep the heal of my hand down and have my fingers ready to pick I have to almost force the heal down to keep making contact with the strings. I'm trying to do what I been instructed I know by doing what Jerry O said I'll play better. Any suggestions on what I'm not doing. This right hand thing makes me feel like I have arthritis of the BRAIN!

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 7:48 pm    

It's possible it's not arthritis, but just training your ankles to do something they're not used to doing.
It's also a bit different if you have a single-body guitar. It takes some getting used to, since you almost have to keep your heel behind your knee.
It really will help you to keep your wings tucked in.
Here's a video I did showing some of the ergonomics of playing these things, but mine is a double body
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsouvuuEDc

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 11:19 pm    

Jerry,

Is it more comfortable to do it in one direction than the other?

Try this as an experiment.

Playing strings 5, 6 and 8
Press the B pedal and slowly engage A

Now play the same 3 strings
Press the B pedal and slowly engage C

Try both and see if one is easier/more comfortable.

If it is more comfortable using the B and C pedals, it might be worth changing over to the Day setup where the floor pedals are in reverse order (C B A from left to right). This also means your foot, when hovering over A & B (where it spends most of its time) is a little more towards the center of the guitar.

This may help a bit maybe.