The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WesTexas Steel School**May 19 & 20**Beginner to Intermediate
Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 8:05 pm    

Hello Fellow Steelers,
A quick announcement about the upcoming Steel School. This class will cover several songs for you to learn that will stretch you just a little bit, but be comfortable enough that you can learn if you have mediocre skills. We will cover how to tune, harmonic tuning, picks and their proper adjusting, bar use in depth (with video of pros), proper use of the volume pedal, right hand position (with different sounds depending on how close to the pickup or away from the pickup), playing in tune, basic chords and some chord theory, what constitutes the different chords, when to use 7ths, 9ths, minors, minor 7ths, diminished, augmented, etc. One of the tabs & tracks I will teach you is 20 different turnaround/utility licks that you can utilize in your playing now! We will also jump into the Nashville Number System, and explain the different chords in a scale from 1 to 8, and so on. I've developed tons of exercises over the last few years at my school, and have added and discarded the ones that work based on my observations and students feedback.
I also will play at times for you and offer suggestions and tips for you to watch, learn, and see good things to work on, and bad habits that will hamper your playing and your sound. You can also bring your cell phone, or video recorder, or Ipad, etc to record specific items you might need to watch again & again. I provide notebooks with notes & tabs of everything we go over, cds with everything we learn with both the empty tracks for you to play with and the complete songs for you to remember how it should sound. You also will be able to stop in the middle of class and ask relevant questions, or for help, or for demonstrations as you please. Let me help you take your playing to the next level. Friday and Saturday May 19 & 20, 2017.
Cost is $275.00 for 2 whole days of STEEL!!!
Check out my website!!
Call me and lets visit,
Larry Toliver
325.518.3947 cell
larrytoliver@windstream.net
www.westexassteelschool.webs.com

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 12:40 pm    

Well, that was quick! Already have 4 students registered for this school! Looks like it will be a nice class.
Thanks guys!
Larry T.

Will Johnston

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 5:34 am    

Guys this is a great class and Larry and his family are a class act. Wish I could attend again.
Larry your five to one lick is part of my daily practice. Still working on "All my Loving"
Will

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 12:03 pm    

to the top if you please!

Gary Ackley

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2017 7:27 pm     Eager to attend

I took Larry's beginner class in March at Dallas.

Larry is a great player, teacher, and truly a nice guy.

I'm eager to attend this camp.

Gary Ackley

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2017 8:25 pm    

Bump

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2017 11:50 am    

Well, we are now up to 6 students for the class. This is perfect for me, and just the right sized class to be able to give everyone a good amount of personal attention. We will stop the class at 8, if the others who are waiting til the last minute....8 is the max, and no more. Lots of great new material, everything from beginner to intermediate, beginners scales to pentatonics, adjusting your picks to speed pickin'! This will be a nice class. Take care everyone
Larry Toliver,
325.518.3947 cell

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 5 May 2017 5:54 am    

Well, just picked up #7 for the class. There is now one spot left. Looking forward to the class. As I've stated before, there is lots of new material for this class. It will cover everything at a beginner level for a while, then will progress to intermediate as well.
Larry T

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:21 pm    

Well, we had a great steel class, and I just had to post a picture of the crew! We learned tons of new songs, lots of great licks, scales, new ways to make chords, substitutions, ....wish you would have been here! Most everyone was from Texas and Oklahoma. A few of them are already good players.

My thanks to my wife Susie, for the great food and hospitality. She is the best!

Thanks to all of the students as well, you make the classes wonderful.
Larry T.

Larry Toliver

Post  Posted 20 May 2017 7:38 pm    

Well, we had a great steel class, and I just had to post a picture of the crew! We learned tons of new songs, lots of great licks, scales, new ways to make chords, substitutions, ....wish you would have been here!

My thanks to my wife Susie, for the great food and hospitality. She is the best!

Thanks to all of the students as well, you make the classes wonderful.
Larry T.

Larry Hopkins

Lubbock Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2017 4:38 am     Steel class

Made it back home from Larry's 2day steel class ,had a great time made some new friends,learned a lot,bunches of new song tabs and very helpful info.Larry is a great teacher ,and a even better picker.and most of all Larry and Susie are great people!
Thanks to both for letting me attend your class.
(Folks they are a class act)!
Thanks ,LH

Lee Barber

Sweeny, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 4:56 am    

Made another of Larry's Steel seminars on the E9th, as always it was great. I got to see some friends I made before and some you steeling buddies. Susie and Larry are very gracious host and Larry has a lot to teach. Every one walked away with a lot of information and material to work on.
Larry had 3 people that want a C6th class, so if you are interested please let him know, so he can put one together. Larry and Susie thank you again.

Gary Ackley

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 5:39 pm     Great class

I attended the class also, and it was a terrific experience.

2 full days of instruction from a great player in a small class situation.

Larry was very generous with his time, and his knowledge of music and the pedal steel.

Susie and Larry welcomed us into their home, fed us, and made us comfortable.

Most of the students were seasoned, accomplished steelers.

As a rank beginner, I needed the total immersion of this class.

Boy, do I have a lot to learn.

Thanks to this school, I know what to work on, how I should sound when I play
a piece correctly, and have a stack of quality materials to work with.

Thanks to Susie and Larry.

I recommend Larry's schools to anyone.

Last edited by Gary Ackley on 23 May 2017 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Jeff Donnell

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 May 2017 6:44 pm     West Texas Steel Guitar School

I had the pleasure of being a member of Larry Toliver's weekend Steel Guitar school.
I'm relatively new to playing the Steel Guitar, but have always had one in the bands I've played with.
This was the ULTIMATE school for me at my level.
Larry Toliver is one of the top Steel Guitar players in the Nation.
He is the 2017 Steel Guitar Player of the Year for the entire state of Texas.
That in itself, is a Phenomenal achievement,& one of the reasons his Steel Guitar schools are so helpful.
The environment in the room is very welcoming,& between Larry and his wife Susie,they actually make feel like you're at home.There were 7 of us in the class on Friday and 8 on Sat.There were many skill levels, mainly beginner,& maybe a couple years of experience.
Larry is a very patient teacher,& always asked us what "WE" wanted to learn.
I learned more in 2 days,than I have in 2 years.
If you're starting out on the pedal steel guitar,& you want to get in with both feet,and learn from the best,
you need to be looking for Larry Toliver's next school.
You will NOT be disappointed-I can GUARANTEE you that.
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best-my score for Larry's classes are "11"
Thank You both to Larry and Susie for a Wonderful weekend.
Sincerely,
Jeff Donnell

Rex Mayfield

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2017 12:06 pm    

I too, want to thank Larry and Susie for their hospitality last week at The West Texas Steel Guitar School. I am very proud to claim these folks as friends. So very much usable material to work on for a LONG TIME. These are some of the most genuine people I have ever known. And there's simply nothing psg related that Larry can't do or figure out. This was my 4th of Larry's schools to attend, and probably won't be my last. (That should tell you something!). So, no matter what your level, you can only gain MORE by attending one of his schools. And, I always enjoy making new steel friends and reuniting with old ones. Thanks again, Larry and Susie!!