The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Tom Pettingill
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 8:16 am    

OH Man!!! I am without words,,,what a tremendous loss,,,not just a master craftsman,,,THE master craftsman. I've said many times,,,,he set the bar!!!! He gave us all something to strive for. I am trying continually to achieve that tru-oil finish that he had mastered!!!! May he rest in peace and be welcomed into that house not made with hands,,,eternal in the heavens,,,,,

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 8:39 am    

Such sad news. Tom was very knowledgeable about so many things related to steel guitar, and was happy to share what he knew. He created three wonderful instruments for me, and each one had its own journey. He was meticulous about his work, right down to the packing (anyone who's ever received a package from Tom knows what I mean). Every time he finished a project, his email announcing "she sings!" meant good news. I never met Tom or saw what he looked like, but considered him a friend. Rest in peace.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 9:30 am    

Anyone have any idea how old Tom was? In my communications with him I always thought of him as a young man,,,(of course at my, most people are "young")

Jeff Spencer

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 1:17 pm    

Condolences to all his family and friends. I too marvelled at his workmanship and designs. As a builder of guitars myself, I used many of his details and designs as inspiration.
RIP Tom.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2017 3:19 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
Anyone have any idea how old Tom was? In my communications with him I always thought of him as a young man,,,(of course at my, most people are "young")

Good question. I dealt with Tom a lot over the years and occasionally he would say something to give me an inkling that he was probably mid-to-late 50s, possibly 60. I recently turned 60 myself in 2016, and my best guess was he was within 5-10 years of me.

Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 9:12 am    

Very sad news .

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2017 8:47 pm    

I'm shocked and sad to hear this....this is a terrible loss for our community.....my condolences to Tom's family......

Last edited by HowardR on 20 Feb 2017 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 5:41 am     Sad to hear

I never knew Tom, but have admired his work ever since I saw the beautiful works of art he made. Condolences to his family.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2017 6:30 am    

Tom was one of the most helpful people I've encountered on the internet. He leaves a legacy not only of the beautiful guitars he created but the knowledge and enthusiasm that he readily conveyed. My condolences to his family and friends who will miss him for reasons that go much deeper. RIP, our creative friend.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 5:53 am    

Very sorry to hear this news. I always looked forward to seeing his latest new creation. Very talented, creative builder, and judging from his responses to both experienced & new builders on this forum, very encouraging and generous with his knowledge.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 6:51 am    

Another quality Tom possessed was humility. Well deserved accolades were regularly heaped on this man. Did you notice his typical response? He'd say he's "lucky to be able to work with nature's best." He'd say that he's "happy with how this one turned out, or "she has a sweet voice."

I spent hours on the phone with Tom, and regretfully only about an hour with him face to face. He loved talking about guitars. As his cousin-in-law, John pointed out, Tom was a very private person, and my impression was that he lead a simple, uncomplicated life. We're only on this earth for a short while, treasure the ones who make a difference in your life. I feel like I've lost a true friend.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2017 7:03 am    

+1 to everything you said Rick.

My conversations with Tom were all cyber. Lucky me in that I saved any PMs that dealt with my steels.

Still can't believe he's gone.

Paul Smith

Ma
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 5:53 am     Deeply Saddened

I am shocked at Toms Passing, He was such an outstanding builder, and genuinely nice man to talk with. I had purchased a guitar from Tom, and he was in the middle of the build at the time of his passing. I hadnt heard from him in a while, so I figured I would try and reach out via email, and didnt hear back from him. I did a search on the forum and found out he passed. If anyone is close to Tom and could find out if I could get a hold of my guitar he was building I would be very grateful. It might be one of his last builds and would have a lot of sentimental value to me. This was purchased, because my last pettingill was stolen, it was a magnificent instrument. God Bless Tom, rest in peace my friend.

Here are some pics, from our last corespondence

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2017 10:43 am    

My condolences to Tom's family. Man his guitars are exquisite! Quite a loss to the community.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2017 12:32 pm    

Damn. I just noticed. Which is... worth writing about, methinks. I do hope there's something left out of this. For me, I've seen the leading edge of the trend that is coming, as it comes to us all. Three, four friends my age (59) are no more, just this past year. And, this just serves to remind me that I've been spending WAY too much time on the internet, while there are real people out there too. The net is wonderful in many ways, yet - when was the last time you drove 20, 30 miles for some "face time" as it's now called. And we have tumbled into this thing lock stock and barrel, yet I don't think I've (yet) seen a single reputable book saying "THE INTERNET HAS BAD AS WELL AS GOOD." Book, you say? What's a BOO... oh yeah. Sorry.

E-MAILS ARE NOT TALKING TO PEOPLE. As proud (arrogant) as I am over de-coupling permanently from network television... here I sit instead.

Quote:
In the brief time I was in contact with him, he was obviously in love with his creations (he referred them to me as "his babies") and was so energetic and enthusiastic about what he could do for me. He bore all the traits of a true artist and a gentleman.

And there's the part that wisdom dictate I carry - he spent a LOT of time doing something he loved, and by the structure of his life spread the cheer wide. Working with his HANDS on bits of those things you see in pictures - I think they're called TREES? Don't they... moo or something? (lemme look that up for...)